Homemade FE gifts - Part 2

Well now that I have a gazillion different ideas I have to figure out what I want to focus on!!

Has anyone who has done coasters had luck with getting them to be not-sticky?

Also thinking of little purse kits (with little folding scissors, mini super glue, band aids, etc...all that stuff a mom might need in a pinch)... anyone know where you can get tiny tubes of super glue?

Joann's has super glue in little individual tubes (they come in a set of 3 or 4, maybe). You could probably find the same thing elsewhere, but I know Joann's has it since I bought some there.

What a great thread! I've really enjoyed looking at everyone's super creative gifts. I'm looking forward to sharing mine after our Dream cruise this September!

I just wanted to share a couple of things I made for FE gifts.

coin purses

Crayon Roll

Back

Front

I added an extra pocket behind the crayons for some coloring pages.

Fun stuff !!

Susan

Well now that I have a gazillion different ideas I have to figure out what I want to focus on!!

Has anyone who has done coasters had luck with getting them to be not-sticky?

I have the same question. I thought it was just the Florida humidity. I had let each tile completely dry for about two days and started to stack them up. Imagine my surprise when I went to go package them when then were sticking together. It wasn't so bad with the white felt circles, but you could really see the green when I pulled them apart.

What was your last layer? I made mine the modge because it was a glossy finish. After I sprayed the sealant it just had this dull matte finish I didn't like, and that's why I added the Modge Podge again. I thought maybe it was from that. I'm going to try it again and make the sealant the last layer and see what happens.

I have the same question. I thought it was just the Florida humidity. I had let each tile completely dry for about two days and started to stack them up. Imagine my surprise when I went to go package them when then were sticking together. It wasn't so bad with the white felt circles, but you could really see the green when I pulled them apart.

What was your last layer? I made mine the modge because it was a glossy finish. After I sprayed the sealant it just had this dull matte finish I didn't like, and that's why I added the Modge Podge again. I thought maybe it was from that. I'm going to try it again and make the sealant the last layer and see what happens.

I just made some fabric coasters for my dad in Florida, (they have an evening get together outside in the pool cabana), I made them with 4 layers one plastic, one was thermal insulation material, and then 2 pieces of fabric (one on each side.) They catch the condensation but aren't in the least bit sticky and can also be used as a hot pad if needed (although a small one.)

Thank you so much for this thread, I am going to read it from one end to the other. I seem to be more excited about this than what my children can do on the ship,lol.
Melody

I got a mickey punch today

Add duct tape and a dollar store cup

Another great FE gift for under $2.

Susan

That's a great idea! Did you use the hole punch on the duct tape then just apply to the cup? Nice job!

I found duct tape that came in 8 x 11 sheets. This all seemed well and good until I posted a photo on Facebook and someone wisely pointed out that perhaps the duct tape wouldn't hold up once the cup was washed. So I ordered some vinyl sheets.

Also, I got a castle punch and another Mickey head (side view) punch. The people I ordered it from said to tell my friends. So look here:

http://www.stamp-happy.com/

Will post photos when I get everything.

Susan

I found duct tape that came in 8 x 11 sheets. This all seemed well and good until I posted a photo on Facebook and someone wisely pointed out that perhaps the duct tape wouldn't hold up once the cup was washed. So I ordered some vinyl sheets.

Also, I got a castle punch and another Mickey head (side view) punch. The people I ordered it from said to tell my friends. So look here:

http://www.stamp-happy.com/

Will post photos when I get everything.

Susan

I am soooo NOT creative and I'm feeling like a complete moron but what is the difference in vinyl sheets? Love the head punched colored duct tape stuck on the cup, cause that is something that I could do but I feel like I'm missing something.....PLEASE help me! I'm crafty challeneged and can use all the ideas I am capable of doing.

I am soooo NOT creative and I'm feeling like a complete moron but what is the difference in vinyl sheets? Love the head punched colored duct tape stuck on the cup, cause that is something that I could do but I feel like I'm missing something.....PLEASE help me! I'm crafty challeneged and can use all the ideas I am capable of doing.

Vinyl lays flatter and is harder to remove, thus making them more washable. I just ordered some sheets from amazon. I'll post photos when it gets here.

Susan

Sorry for the stupid q but how do you stick the vinyls to the cup?

It's adhesive backed. I just did something very similar for the FE I'm doing in a couple weeks and it kinda sucks that the idea was just posted so close to when I'll be giving them out. :rotfl: I made them over a month ago.

Can someone please tell me how to post pictures to this thread? I have read all over this site and tried the FAQ and even tried their instructions, but it's not working for me. I don't see an Attachment Mgr button.

I have some cool pics I want to post, but I'm not successful in doing so:sad1:

Thanks and have a great day!

Can someone please tell me how to post pictures to this thread? I have read all over this site and tried the FAQ and even tried their instructions, but it's not working for me. I don't see an Attachment Mgr button.

I have some cool pics I want to post, but I'm not successful in doing so:sad1:

Thanks and have a great day!
Are you using a PC or mobile device?

First, you will need to upload the image to a site like Flickr or Photobucket (accounts are free).
Then - on a PC at least - when you click reply, or quote, or quick reply, look at the top of the box where you type your reply. In the line where you bold, italic or underline, look farther right. There is a picture that looks like a postcard with mountains on it. Clicking it will bring a popup asking for the url of your image. If you copy the web address of your photo into that popup, the image should appear in your post.

On the cups with vinyl, make sure you instruct folks to hand wash only. Also, there are different vinyl types. The outdoor is best for longevity. Oracal 631 is indoor; 651 is outdoor, for example.

We just got off the Disney Wonder and part of the FE Gifts for the men, we gave out neckties!!

My son who is 14 just started sewingin January of this year.

A friend of mine who is a seamstress has helped my son

Anyway I have waited and watched over the past several weeks of folks who want ideas or something for the men. Our ties were a hit on our cruise

I was delighted to walk into men wearing my son's ties or even when I was at Shutters there were pics of men (and some boys) who wore his ties in the photos and it warmed my heart.

IMG_8889.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter