Homecoming - is this a common thing now?

My sons would never had gone to these dances if they were expected to do this back in their HS days

Yes it has been a big thing here for a few years. My son got an elaborate unite to Sadie Hawkins from his girlfriend. It seems like the really big proposals they alreDy know that that person with go with them to the dance.

My daughter is a freshmen. She is hoping to get a homecoming proposal. She does not have a boyfriend. She is planning on third wheeling with her friends or her brother.

My daughter is helping her best friend( guy), brother, and her brother's best friend with ideas.

I hope this trend dies by the time my oldest starts dating. I guess in about 5 years.

What makes you think parents are involved? Every one my teens have been involved in these things did so without my knowledge (dd19 asked her then boyfriend to the senior prom by writing in her theater bio in the play program - I didn't know about it until opening night). I can't even remember how ds18 asked his girlfriend to the junior formal although he told me after the fact, when I asked. Teens spend so much time online, they have way more access to ideas, videos, pictures, etc., than adults.

I think that's cute! My daugther is in theater and they all really get into it and often incorporate the prom/homecoming proposals into whatever show they happen to be working on.

ETA: I mean they incorporate it into the rehearsals, not the actual show itself.

Last edited:
I think it's pretty ridiculous but my girls are currently involved in this. My DD16 is probably doing it this afternoon. I didn't think there needed to be anything, since they are boyfriend/girlfriend, but she says she has to officially ask him. She bought candy and blacked out letters on the wrappers so that when he arranges them properly, it will spell homecoming. At least it is just at our house and not public. It is her asking because he has graduated. And he has to attend anyway, because he was King last year and has to crown the new king.

My DD14 was just going to casually ask a guy friend, but her friends are getting him to do something to ask her, who knows what they will come up with. I wouldn't think he would go along with anything too outlandish, but at least they've already discussed going together so no one is surprised or disappointed.

Whatever will they do for a proposal? It's gotten absolutely ridiculous and out hand and yes, social media has everything to do with it (although I also blame the Kardashians lol). It's competitiveness for no other reason than to show up others and gain attention. You see the effects in the workplace too, although fortunately where I work cell phones are not allowed in the building at all. So, no twitter, instagram, fb or any other photos from work.

Homecoming proposal, prom proposal, marriage proposal, pregnancy reveal, gender reveal, baby showers, weddings, etc. etc. etc.

I think it's just another symptom of the "look at me" generation.

If anyone had ever asked me to a high school dance I would have been mortified if there was a big, public, to do about it.

It's like that here for homecoming and prom and has been for several years. I truly do not understand it. I feel like everything everyone does anymore has to be over the top, better than the person before them, and "worthy" of 1,000,000 YouTube hits.

we don't have a homecoming dance, we only have prom and a lot of kids go as a group now instead of with a date

Everyone is talking about the parents, the internet, whatever being behind this... I think it is a lot simpler than that. It is about the sure-thing "Yes".

I overheard a conversation between DS and one of his friends about it. Friend, a sophomore, wants to ask a junior girl to homecoming but he is seriously afraid of being shot down. DS told the friend, who is in choir and drama, that he should go "YouTube style" and make a big public show of asking. Their thinking was that "No girl would say no after all of that". DS went on to point out that even if she did say no, other girls would be seriously impressed and lining up to attract friend's interest.

Interestingly enough, the friend, who is a fairly shy young man who has liked this girl for a while, told DS he didn't want to do that because he only wanted her to say yes if she really meant it, not because her friends were watching and everyone was expecting her to.

ETA: DD's date for homecoming asked her via text, which is far more common around me than the big productions are.

Ds16 just asked a girl to homecoming by saying 'No Twix. It would by my joy if you would go to homecoming with me.' And handed her a Twix bar and an Almond Joy-her 2 favorite candy bars. She said yes.

It's been happening here for a while. It's fun and I don't see anything extremely over the top going on.

I teach high school in a very affluent area - promposals are a HUGE deal but I haven't seen a big fuss being made over homecoming, yet...

No homecoming dance here, its all about the game. But there are a lot of prom posals. Its not the parents, most don't even know whay their kid is planning. Most pictures are taken by the girl's mom just because its her house where the asking is done.

I do think for some of the girls its aboit having that great picture on Instagram.

Older daughter's promproposal was Prom? written in the sand at the beach over Spring Break. She came out onto the deck (we were staying at the boys parents beach place) and saw it. Homecoming was a bit more elaborate. They (Different boy) were bot in marching band and the band broke into the oldie "Hey, baby" and changed the words to "Hey Kelly". It was really cute. Younger daughter's prom date (best friend since elementary and still BFF) went to the trouble to do the whole "Up" thing with balloons and a poster asking if she'd fly "up" to prom with a drawing of the Up house with balloons.

It's the "Look at Me" mentality fueled by social media and Pinterest. It is true about gender reveals, engagement announcements and kids birthday parties as well. Some folks have to be sure their special-ness is observed by all.

Like others, when I was in high school (back when you always had to keep one eye open for wandering allosaurs) it was assumed you would go to the prom with your girlfriend. Non-coupled kids frequently didn't go at my school, because tickets could only be bought in pairs. I know... Right?

But homecoming? That was a big pep rally, a Friday night football game -- hopefully against somebody your team could beat, but our team couldn't beat a team of department store mannequins -- and maybe a pizza afterward if you had a date for the game. I'd never heard of homecoming dances until years later, and I thought for years that they were actually talking about proms.

And asking a girl to any event involved either catching her in the hall at school, or calling her at home. Somebody who did anything like a modern promposal would have been a laughingstock.

Starving for attention.

keep-calm-because-its-all-about-me-3.png

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter