• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Home Resort Regrets?

When we were making our decision to buy into DVC I read this board very carefully. There were a lot of opinions on this very topic, and it made sense what a lot of people said, and that was to buy where you want to stay.

For us - we feel very lucky to be in the situation to be able to afford DVC. Honestly - we plan on staying at all the resorts at some point. We booked our first vacation at SSR and cannot wait to see it.

In my opinion, the location of SSR is great. We have never had a real issue with Disney transportation - so I am not concerned about the buses to the parks. And SSR will provide a great spot for dining and nightlife with Downtown Disney and Pleasure Island. Most of our trips have been in the fall when some of the parks close as early as 6:00. So having DD and PI right across the water will be a perfect way to end the evening.

I know it may be hard to book at peak times, but from what I have read on this board, most people have been to a few of the resorts - so that is the beauty of DVC, I own at SSR but have the ability to stay at any resort.

So, no regrets, and even if I was locked into SSR, as long as the upkeep to the rooms, buildings, and grounds is maintained, how lucky can you be to be able to vacation at one of the greatest places on earth?

Love the BCV and the VWL.

We do May stays at BCV which is great with SAB and Decs stays in VWL for the Xmas feel.

Looking to add on at VWL and the soon to be built AKL villas :crazy: ::yes:: (okay, so I can wish)

The only regret I have is that we should have gotten June use years instead of April.

My reason is that we like to do the Concierge Collection for short stays in March (during our Spring Break) and doing these on a whim. So having to plan by Feb 1 for these can be a pain.

Cheers all!

We took the tour in 1999, when they were selling BWV. We should have bought then.

We bought in Feb 2003, and we specifically went down to buy into DVC. We bought at VWL, because it is by far and away our favorite place to hang out/eat/ wander around at WDW. The only regret is that we should have bought more points than we did.

We are currently going to be in the market for more points at BWV. The kids love to stay there. They think that is exciting, fun, and a lot closer to "Japan", which they like to walk to and buy anime in. So, that's what we're watching for.

On our recent trip, we went over to BCV. I don't remember who said it in this thread, but we were also VERY unimpressed with the allegedly impressive pool. A good friend of mine says I'm nuts, but I think I'll take WL any time.

We had regret over out BWV purchase, and looking out acrosss Crescent Lake, really liked the BCV location better. The ability to sit out on a porch type swing on the sand, SAB, the nice interior spaces, the choices of restaraunts, the decor and themeing all appealed to us better at BCV than the Boardwalk. We also like the room set up better. So, we sold our BWV contract and purchased BCV, which is our favorite. We also increased our points through the transaction. We're very happy with the decision (espeacially when it rains).

Captain Midnight, I thought of PMing you when I read your post, but I know there are others like me regreting their home resort, so tell us how you made the switch? Did you buy first or sell first? Did you sell privately (to some one you knew) or go through a broker? Was it difficult to do this or would you recommend it to others? And did you stay with the same use year? Thanks!

I'm also interested in how Captain Midnight made the switch.
We own two contracts at OKW (310 pts and 100 pts) and have never regretted owning there because we love the OKW villas and landscaping. We have also had the opportunity to stay at the BWV and BCV twice, never having a problem booking at 7 months. Our only dissatisfaction is that we have a June use year and now like to vacation in April or May (without our children, who are now married). When the children/grandchildren come along, our June year will be just fine, but we wish we could switch our contracts with someone who has a March or April use year.
Any suggestions?

1st home resort is VWL, and is where we prefer to be. However we also bought at BCV and though the location is super, I just don't have the same feeling walking into the BC lobby as I do when we come into the WL lobby. I think I will probably dump my BCV points if dues get too high.

We made the sale privately first, we did not use a broker and thus avoided the broker fees. We did negoatiate the payment of closing fees between both parties. We made the connection through either TUG or an e-mail discussion group. Then we made our purchase through DVC which was the only place BCV points were being offerred at the time. We substantially increased our points at BCV through the transaction, which helped minimize the expense for us. There weren't add-ons available at BWV either. Nothing against BWV, it a wonderful resort with 3 bedroom villas, lakefront views and standard points available, we just like the BCV better. It's really a matter of selling what you own and purchasing another contract and trying to minimize the expenses as a part of that process. Good luck.

We own at VWL and have never regretted it! We would like to add on points at either HH or VB someday to make sure we can get those properties. So far, we've never had trouble getting them at 7 mos. out; however, I keep reading on here that someday it will be difficult to acquire these at the 7 mo. window - then I will have some regrets!

Originally posted by gracelrm
We own at VWL and have never regretted it! We would like to add on points at either HH or VB someday to make sure we can get those properties. So far, we've never had trouble getting them at 7 mos. out; however, I keep reading on here that someday it will be difficult to acquire these at the 7 mo. window - then I will have some regrets!
I found it interesting this year when trying to make reservations for Spring Break, the Vero Resort was the only one that wasn't available. There were still rooms and villas at all the other DVC resorts. We are glad we have our Vero Points and that they have not built across the road so that we'll always be staying ocean side.

:earsgirl: :earsboy: :earsboy: Love, love, love, love, love my Boardwalk. When I checked into room #4057 on December 26th around 8pm, I saw fireworks from the Magic Kingdom while a banjo was strumming music from Country Bear Jambouree under my balcony.

I stayed at Old Key West once; it's just too quiet for me. I love the atmosphere at Boardwalk. My sons and I love sitting on the balcony at 2am watching the drunks come out of Jelly Rolls; too funny when Disney Police come out of nowhere to sober them up.

I've seen a musical group dressed in old fashioned baseball uniforms serinade us with Disney tunes and sidewalk or boardwalk preformers keeping us entertained. It's just the perfect atmosphere for me. I can't imagine wanting to stay anywehre else (just yet).

'74 Fort Wilderness
'78 Contemporary
'86 Contemporary Garden Wing
'89 Grand Floridian
'94 Beach Club
'00 Old Key West & Boardwalk Villas
'01 Boardwalk Villas
'02 Boardwalk Villas
'03 Boardwalk Villas
'04 Boardwalk Villas in July

No regrets here about our VWL. We are wanting to do another contract in a few years when the kids are in school and our vacation times more restricted. I think then we'll look for OKW resales so we can get GV for when the kids get to the age that they won't come on vacation with us unless they can bring a friend. ;)

We have no regrets at BWV which we bought while in VB. The we addded on at VB because we love to tack on the few extra days after WDW to go to the beach in August.

We also added on at SSR recently and can't wait to go there.

We love OKW but haven't had trouble getting it in August at teh 7 month window, so no regrets.

Go to HH in Fenruary so that hasn't been a problem at the 7 month window either.

Staying at the BCV this year in a 2 bedroom and go it (day by day) and was told it was very limited so we got lucky!

Haven't tried for VWL but are going to try in 2005.

We like trying different resorts but we always book our home BWV at the 11 month window and would never be disappointed if we couldn't change it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter