• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Home Repair Experts Needed - mudding?

tinkfan4ever

Mouseketeer
I have decided to paint some rooms in my house. I noticed that a couple of the walls have a crack in the corner where the two walls meet. I'm assuming this is from settling and normal. It's not huge. My friend said "Oh yeah a little mud will do the trick." I didn't want to sound stupid but what exactly is mud? Where do I buy it (least expensive please) and what exactly do I ask for? How long does it take to dry before I can paint it? Thanks!!!

I have never heard of using mud, but my home inspector said I could use some of that acrylic caulk for tubs and showers for the "crack" that appears in the winter when the heat is on. The caulk is flexible enough to allow for the expanding and contracting of the "crack."

I have never heard of using mud, but my home inspector said I could use some of that acrylic caulk for tubs and showers for the "crack" that appears in the winter when the heat is on. The caulk is flexible enough to allow for the expanding and contracting of the "crack."

Mud is also called drywall compound. It comes either ready to use or in powder form that you mix yourself. It is very cheap to buy just about anywhere, but I am with this poster and would recommend something more flexible. The drywall compound is not flexible and it will eventually crack in the same spot again.

"mud" is drywall compound used to seal gaps in between sheets of drywall.
you can buy a gallon size pail for about $4-5 dollars, you apply it with a putty knife or one made for corners, when it dries you sand it down smooth.

If the cracks are small(1/16-1/4")I would just use caulk, much easier.

Taping/joint compound works best for filling wall cracks from settling. You can get it at Home Depot or Lowes and it isn't too expensive. You'll want a wide putty knife for applying it.

Mix the compound well before using, get a reasonably scoop on the end of your putty knife, swipe it across the cracks (make sure to fill the cracks and smooth it over to get the flattest surface... go over the wall beyond the crack a few inches in each direction), allow the compound to dry (about a day), sand with fine grit sandpaper, fill again with more joint compound if there are any uneven spots (dry and sand again). When it looks pretty even, wipe lightly over the wall with a slightly damp cloth to remove compound dust and excess putty.

You'll want to paint sometime after filling the cracks.

Good Luck!

If your house is newer and still settling I would use the flexible caulk. Our house had a few cosmetic cracks from settling and dh repaired some with caulk and others with joint compound. The ones with joint compound re-appeared, the ones he used the caulk have not.

I used to get that done every few years on my older house. Finally a contractor told me it could be the planes and vibrations causing it, he sees it a lot in our area (10 mi from airport). He put crown molding up and it looked great and I never had to worry about it again. It also wasn't that expensive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter