Holy Crap!! Tux Rental

Just took my oldest (son) to a tux place yesterday to be fitted for a tux for his first ever prom. Boy, was I shocked! $207 and that was AFTER a $40 off coupon that I was excited to get to use! I used to think the boys got off cheaper than the girls, but after the tux and paying for prom tix ($60 for him and his date) plus dinner for both, I'm not so sure. I only hope they decide against the limo. Not sure how much that costs? I would nix the idea if it were just the two of them, but its harder to do that when its a group of them going. It may come down to that, though.

Yeah for my wedding in January the tux rental ($220) was more than the bridesmaid dress ($206) crazy how prices have gone up.

This, this, a 100 X's this!!!!! When I took my little guy to get fitted at the same time as his Dad (DH, DS3, and I were all in this wedding) and when I saw the price list for my little one, I called the bride and asked if we could buy one. After she heard the cost, she agreed! We bought my son a tux for $38 at Burlington coat factory. I took the bride with and she picked it out! My dress was way to long so the seamstress used the excess to make my son a matching vest for his tux. It cost less then $15 for his custom vest and he matched the wedding party!!!

We also bought my twins suits at Burlington for around $50. They wore maroon shirts to match the groomsmen's vests and silver ties to match the groom.

I just got back from a visit to Men's Wearhouse with DS16. I was really pleasantly surprised after reading this thread!!! He wanted a basic black tux with white pleated wing collar shirt, black bow tie and black cummerbund. He didn't need to rent studs (my husband owns them for his tux) or shoes (he has them as part of his military school uniform). He needs the tux for Friday and Saturday nights as he has back to back proms.

With my $40 off prom coupon it was only $82.90. This included all taxes and fees (including the $20 rush fee because we waited until the week before prom to order it - live & learn).

DS's tux rental will be around $200 when we go pick it up in a couple weeks. He picked out a Vera Wang tux that is slim cut and much more modern looking than the typical tux. Since he is tall, it fit and looked much better than the boxy tuxes. I didn't have a problem paying it, but was surprised at how much it was. It is his Junior Prom and those only happen once in a lifetime.

I know this is an old thread bumped back up, but we're going to pick out DS's prom tux tomorrow. I'm expecting to spend around $100.

Still cheaper than what I'd have to pay for a dress, hair, nails, etc. :)

I thought this thread looked familiar;) My DD18 and her prom date went and got his tux this weekend and it was $161 with tax after the $40 off coupon. Wow I felt bad for him that seems like so much for a rental.

But don't even ask how much my DD prom dress was, it was ridicules! and she practically drained her savings account to pay for it. It killed me but it's her money and these are the kinds of money mistakes they need to make while their young.

DS's tux rental will be around $200 when we go pick it up in a couple weeks. He picked out a Vera Wang tux that is slim cut and much more modern looking than the typical tux. Since he is tall, it fit and looked much better than the boxy tuxes. I didn't have a problem paying it, but was surprised at how much it was. It is his Junior Prom and those only happen once in a lifetime.

We looked at the Vera Wang and he tried on a slim cut jacket. He's 6'4", 160 lbs, so tall and very thin. He thought he looked too skinny in the slim cut jacket and preferred the boxy look. Funny how different the boys' tastes are. We got the Joseph & Feiss notch lapel tux, cummerbund (vs vest) and bow tie in black. With the $40 coupon and $20 rush fee it was $82.90. I can't complain and more importantly, he's happy!

It really is shocking how little some people think about the cost to their bridal party. My best friend was recently in a wedding where her bridesmaid dress was $300 (and quite ugly, not something one could rewear), shoes were another $100, and she also had to pay for own hair and for a hotel room. I suggested that she search online for a used version of the same dress, which she found and saved her quite a bit.

For my own wedding we tried very, very hard to keep costs reasonable for our bridal party. I kept an eye out for when JCrew had a sale on their dresses and all of my girls were able to snag theirs for $70. I let them pick their own shoes and jewelry, and we put them up in a hotel room. My husband's groomsmen had it even easier--they just needed to buy a particular $20 tie and wear a white dress shirt, dark grey dress pants, and black shoes, which most of them had anyway and could use after the wedding if they didn't. Since we were married outside in Texas in May, we didn't make them wear jackets. Being outside, our wedding wasn't a super formal affair, but even if it had been, I definitely would have had the groomsmen wear basic black or grey suits that they bought rather than rent tuxs so at least they'd have something to show for the money they spent.

It really is shocking how little some people think about the cost to their bridal party. My best friend was recently in a wedding where her bridesmaid dress was $300 (and quite ugly, not something one could rewear), shoes were another $100, and she also had to pay for own hair and for a hotel room. I suggested that she search online for a used version of the same dress, which she found and saved her quite a bit.

For my own wedding we tried very, very hard to keep costs reasonable for our bridal party. I kept an eye out for when JCrew had a sale on their dresses and all of my girls were able to snag theirs for $70. I let them pick their own shoes and jewelry, and we put them up in a hotel room. My husband's groomsmen had it even easier--they just needed to buy a particular $20 tie and wear a white dress shirt, dark grey dress pants, and black shoes, which most of them had anyway and could use after the wedding if they didn't. Since we were married outside in Texas in May, we didn't make them wear jackets. Being outside, our wedding wasn't a super formal affair, but even if it had been, I definitely would have had the groomsmen wear basic black or grey suits that they bought rather than rent tuxs so at least they'd have something to show for the money they spent.

You are a kind, practical and thoughtful person. I was raised in an area of the country and time when the bride's family paid for every attendant's expenses. I only had 4. Since that time, people have to pay to be in their friend's weddings and it seems the bridal parties are larger. It's refreshing to hear of a bride who thinks of the expenses an attendant will incur. :goodvibes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter