Holy Cow NYS Senate has approved Same Sex Marriage in NY

My family was thrilled because we have so many friends & relatives who will now be able to marry. I don't think anyone was happier than my 8 year old, who tried to wait up to see how the vote would go. The next morning her first question was "did it pass?"

She knows that she'll get to be the flower girl in her uncle's wedding.

She said she just doesn't get why people who love each other can't marry. I told her I agree. I also told her that she was welcome to march in the Pride parade, and she did. She had a blast! Later on she told her Dad all about it and said with wonder "there were even ladies with earrings in their ****s!" :laughing:

My partner was born in Illinois (no idea what city)

In most states, the office of Vital Records (including birth and death registries) is maintained at the state level, not local. With your partner's name and DOB, they ought to be able to locate the record.

Speaking of Birth Certificates, we had a minor panic attack since you need them to get a marriage license.

My partner was born in Illinois (no idea what city) and then was moved to Florida as a kid and has NO idea what names are on her BC because her mom was unwed and never told her what her biological fathers name was... then her mom married her stepfather (who her brother thinks is her biological father) and adopted her. Her mother's family has a bit of a sordid history and I wouldnt' be surprised if her biological father was rolled up in someones rug in an attic.

Mom has since had a stroke and Dad has dementia.. and we were sure that they would have lost her BC by now (I have mine.. she never was given hers which mades me think there was something funky on it)

At any rate, her brother called and said he found it.. I cannot WAIT to see what it says.

Can you get BC's changed? Her mom married her step dad when she was 5.

If her brother hasn't found the actual BC, she could either contact Vital Records office in the county, if she knows it, where she was born, or even go through VitalChek. They might be able to help out, since it doesn't seem you're in Illinois: http://www.vitalchek.com/illinois-express-birth-certificates.aspx

I'm amazed she's gone this long without having one! I'm on my 3rd...the first disintegrated before I got to college, the second one in the next 10 years, so here I am with the 3rd "original" birth certificate (all notarized copies of BCs gotten from the proper office are considered "original") that I've had.

Jason and I are just back a little while ago from City Hall in Rochester, NY. The clerk's office was open here from 1pm to 5pm today and we were among the first couples (we got there a little after noon) in line to get in and get our license. It was a more moving experience than I even anticipated----when Jason started filling out his half of our application I was literally moved to tears (which prompted every media photographer and camera-person in the room to lunge at us and take pictures----"Gays getting married and crying about it! Get a shot!!!"---:rotfl2::rotfl2:) We were also interviewed by the paper and 3 of the local news affiliates....so I think we may end up being one of the poster couples for gay marriage in Rochester :lovestruc:lovestruc It is an amazing thing to know that with one piece of paper your relationship is somehow changed and more meaningful (at least to the world around you).

We are waiting the mandatory 24 hours and will be getting our license officially signed and witnessed tmw afternoon----and then the planning for a Spring 2012 ceremony/reception begins!! (Right before our DCL cruise to Hawaii in April 2012!)

Jason and I are just back a little while ago from City Hall in Rochester, NY. The clerk's office was open here from 1pm to 5pm today and we were among the first couples (we got there a little after noon) in line to get in and get our license. It was a more moving experience than I even anticipated----when Jason started filling out his half of our application I was literally moved to tears (which prompted every media photographer and camera-person in the room to lunge at us and take pictures----"Gays getting married and crying about it! Get a shot!!!"---:rotfl2::rotfl2:) We were also interviewed by the paper and 3 of the local news affiliates....so I think we may end up being one of the poster couples for gay marriage in Rochester :lovestruc:lovestruc It is an amazing thing to know that with one piece of paper your relationship is somehow changed and more meaningful (at least to the world around you).

We are waiting the mandatory 24 hours and will be getting our license officially signed and witnessed tmw afternoon----and then the planning for a Spring 2012 ceremony/reception begins!! (Right before our DCL cruise to Hawaii in April 2012!)

I am so happy for you. I''l be thinking of you tomorrow afternoon. :flower3:

It was a more moving experience than I even anticipated----when Jason started filling out his half of our application I was literally moved to tears....

Congrats!

I'm straight so the history behind it is different of course, but we found getting the license to be surprisingly emotional as well. Even better, we had time to take it back in to the registrar's the next business day (instead of having the officiant take it in), and that was even MORE romantic. Even though the Oregon marriage certificate is just the marriage license with a few more signatures on it, LOL (maybe NY's certificate is different). So if you can do that, too, I highly recommend it! :)

Congratulations!!!!! We couldn't find DP's official Birth Certificate. We do know a couple that's getting married by the Mayor tomorrow. It's pretty exciting.

CONGRATS!!!!!! It's funny, you may have seen my earlier post, but my dh is Senator Duane's counsel and worked on this issue for the past 12 years. Anyway - he's from Rochester? His family lives in Greece. So it's nice to see some of his rochester "family" getting to celebrate what they rightfully deserve - now I'm off to the democrat and chronicle to see if I can see you! :woohoo:

I HOPE you were properly made up for TV cameras! ;)
Hey Congratz - and welcome to the party! :banana:
Very Happy for you both!

CONGRATS!!!!!! It's funny, you may have seen my earlier post, but my dh is Senator Duane's counsel and worked on this issue for the past 12 years. Anyway - he's from Rochester? His family lives in Greece. So it's nice to see some of his rochester "family" getting to celebrate what they rightfully deserve - now I'm off to the democrat and chronicle to see if I can see you! :woohoo:

Thanks to all for the congrats :)

You won't find us in the Democrat & Chronicle (the Rochester newspaper for non-Upstate-NYers). We were, however, featured on 3 TV news broadcasts and one radio broadcast. We are interviewed and/or quoted here (you can read both and view one as video, I think):

http://www.whec.com/news/stories/S2212354.shtml?cat=566

http://rochesterhomepage.net/fulltext/?nxd_id=262537

And then you don't hear us speak, but we are seen in video at this link:

http://rochester.ynn.com/content/to...couples-line-up-at-city-hall-to-tie-the-knot/

(That's me a little ways in crying while Jason completes his half of the license application)

It was an amazing day, for sure.....we are having the small civil ceremony today at 5:30 and then we'll be 100% legal...so we're still kind of riding the high. :lovestruc

Thanks to all for the congrats :)

You won't find us in the Democrat & Chronicle (the Rochester newspaper for non-Upstate-NYers). We were, however, featured on 3 TV news broadcasts and one radio broadcast. We are interviewed and/or quoted here (you can read both and view one as video, I think):

http://www.whec.com/news/stories/S2212354.shtml?cat=566

http://rochesterhomepage.net/fulltext/?nxd_id=262537

And then you don't hear us speak, but we are seen in video at this link:

http://rochester.ynn.com/content/to...couples-line-up-at-city-hall-to-tie-the-knot/

(That's me a little ways in crying while Jason completes his half of the license application)

It was an amazing day, for sure.....we are having the small civil ceremony today at 5:30 and then we'll be 100% legal...so we're still kind of riding the high. :lovestruc

AWESOME - congrats again!

and so it begins
http://www.democratandchronicle.com...-marriages-N-Y-?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Home

I have already filled out the birth certificate request form for DP and will get it ASAP. In the mean time I'll find out if the document we have is adequate. It's a registration of Birth Certificate but contains the raised seal and states on the document that as long as it has the raised seal that it can be used for proof of citizenship. That's part of why we didn't go down yesterday.

I am so happy for you and Jason:hug::cheer2: Four big hugs from us to you.

And congratulations to anyone else out there reading this who is also finally legal:goodvibes

Oh heavens, I know. Can you believe those a**wipes?!? (And even better-----that's a Rochester based organization). What's even more awful is that they are deciding to do this lawsuit NOW after marriages have already started. At least in Maine and in California (after Prop 8 was overturned in Judge Walker's Court) they had the decency to get an emergency injunction that put a stay on all gay marriages until a final legal decision and/or ballot decision could be made. That way at least even though it's still evil and awful....at least they didn't try to go back and eradicate existing marriages....they stopped ALL the marriages before they could happen and then got their awful laws passed. Here in NY, they waited until AFTER the marriages started and are NOW going back to change the law......AND to try to nullify all our marriages which are already legal!!

The good news is that this strategy is likely going to fail miserably.....the legislature doesn't want it. The governor doesn't want it....and no matter what this org. says, I do not believe that the people of NY want it.....and, more importantly, NY has already been recognizing legal same sex marriages for several years now.....and so even if they can challenge the law and get NEW marriages blocked, I think it's legally very unlikely that the courts in NY are going to go back and nullify existing marriages (especially since it was a NYS COURT that decided that all legal marriages, including same sex marriages, should be recognized.....AND that same court decision also said that they were not ruling out that gay marriages should be granted....just that the legislature had to approve them...which they did.) So all in all...I think this is a pathetic last ditch effort.....sore losers doing all they can to deal with their sour grapes of being on the wrong side of civil rights and wrong side of history......in the end I'm optimistic this will be nothing more than an annoyance.....but still....it's totally tacky and awful to do so when so many people are still celebrating! UGH!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Erik,
Do you have any ideas as to why the injunction is being filed in Livingston County vs. Monroe (to those from outside the area) Rochester is the County Seat of Monroe County and Rochester is the 3rd largest city in the State behind New York and Buffalo. Livingston is a rural county with the County Seat of Geneseo which is a small city but houses a very good state school.

I got on the NYCF (New Yorkers for Constitutional Freedom) website and while they talk about what they do it's hard to tell who they are.

Erik,
Do you have any ideas as to why the injunction is being filed in Livingston County vs. Monroe (to those from outside the area) Rochester is the County Seat of Monroe County and Rochester is the 3rd largest city in the State behind New York and Buffalo. Livingston is a rural county with the County Seat of Geneseo which is a small city but houses a very good state school.

I got on the NYCF (New Yorkers for Constitutional Freedom) website and while they talk about what they do it's hard to tell who they are.

No I have no idea....there's lots of speculation about why they are doing it in Livingston County vs. Monroe County (despite the fact that their main offices are located in Spencerport, NY....a Monroe County town). One theory that doesn't sound too farfetched is that they know that the more rural, and more conservative, Livingston county poses a better chance of having a judiciary who might actually hear the case instead of throwing it out for the clearly ridiculous nonsense that it is.

And you need only a two word description of NYCF: HATE GROUP. They are a purely religious, evangelical group who are invested in protecting the rights of their evangelical base by imposing their evangelical beliefs on the rest of us in NY. The generally oppose anything and everything progressive......they are anti-gay, anti-choice, anti-sexual health education, they believe in huge tax credits and exemptions for religious schools and churches....yada yada yada. They are an upstate NY arm of NOM and would, if they could get away with it in the court of public opinion, probably nominate Fred Phelps from Westboro Baptist Church for a humanitarian award! :lmao:

And you need only a two word description of NYCF: HATE GROUP. They are a purely religious, evangelical group who are invested in protecting the rights of their evangelical base by imposing their evangelical beliefs on the rest of us in NY. The generally oppose anything and everything progressive......they are anti-gay, anti-choice, anti-sexual health education, they believe in huge tax credits and exemptions for religious schools and churches....yada yada yada. They are an upstate NY arm of NOM and would, if they could get away with it in the court of public opinion, probably nominate Fred Phelps from Westboro Baptist Church for a humanitarian award! :lmao:

I got that but it's hard to find out who this group is. There are no names only 400 religious leaders. Who are these people? What churches do they represent? Rhetorical questions. They are a 501(c)4 not a 501(c)3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter