• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Holy Budget, Batman! CONTACTS?! Expensive!

I just used 1-800-contacts.com for the first time. It could not have been easier or cheaper. They gave me an extra 20% off for it being my first order & they were at my house in a few days. So happy I finally tried this!! I saved over $150 on a year's supply.

Hi all. So I got quoted that contacts for my horrible eyes will be $400 after insurance!!! AGH!! (I have rreeeeaaalllly bad eyes) Has anyone used that 1-800-Contacts place or other contacts places instead of their eye doc to save money?? :eek:

I have horrible eyes too, but never pay that much for my contacts. WOW!:scared1:

Opticontacts is who I used earlier this year and they were TONS cheaper than 1800 contacts. I wear torics and the brand I think is Acuview Oasis. I don't recall the exact price but for one box of six lenses was $45 plus on 1-800 and I paid under $30 a box (and I only bought one box of each, didn't have to order multiple boxes to get a cheaper price). Free shipping, no tax. DEFINITELY check them out!!!

I second this suggestion, best thing I have ever done.

I got lasik in 2001 and I really think I have more than broken even at this point. I paid a little more, the doctor gave discounts to teachers, but I still paid $2,700 total for both eyes. That was fine with me as he was highly recommended and I preferred to go to someone highly recommended.

Dawn

Have you looked into Lasik? I was tired of kicking out $300+ every 6-12 months for glasses and I got Lasik done for less than $1,000 for both eyes. If you have a flex plan, you can just sign up for the extra to be taken out over time, but then get it done all at once.

Just a thought.

1-800Contacts is owned by Walmart now. You can get the same prices at your local walmart as you can on line. Their contacts are much cheaper now that they are merged with 1-800. I thought costco was the best place to order but I'm not near one now.

I have used visiondirect when I have my Drs prescription. This year I cannot afford to go back for the exam yet and I know my eyes have not changed, so I ordered from globallens and got the same contacts without needing a prescription.

I would love to get Lasik, but I am too scared too!

My dd is 12 and wants contacts. Her cousin got them at 12 and he's now 13. His mom said her insurance covered them. HE wears the disposible ones. I only really knew about the old kind, the ones you have to soak in solution. I told dd contact are to much responsibility. Now that I hear insurance covered her cousins disposible ones i'm curious.

I pay for a eye insurance. Now i'm thinking does health insurance cover eye exam , glasses and contacts?????? Dh and I dont wear glasses so we never had to deal with this. Now i'm thinking if I've been paying for a seperate insurance for no reason. We have blue cross hmo through dh's work.

I have a flex account but it states contact are covered for medical reason so does that mean if she has an RX for them they are covered but not for cosmetic. When i read medical resaon i was thinking eye disease or damage but an RX iss medical right?

I'm glad contact arent as expensive as i was thinking:cool1:

1. whats a good age for kids to have contacts?

2. does the price of disposible contact go by how strong the RX is?

Ask your eye doctor if they will match the online prices. I have worked for a local eye doctor for the past 16 years. At my office we will match online pricing just to keep the patient in our office to keep the $$ local. Sometimes being a private practice we will get special rebates to bring the cost down even more. It doesn't hurt to ask.

Dreamin Disney,
Flex $$ can be used for contact. It doesn't cover non-rx'd sunglasses. At my office its up to the parents and the doctor when a child is ready for contacts.
Vision insurance usually just covers the routine exam without a contact fitting. That insurance will sometimes give you a certian dollar amout towards contacts or frames and lenses. One of the best vision plans I deal with daily is called VSP. Medical insurace usually only covers an exam if there is something medically wrong. In Illinois BCBS HMO doesn't recongize Optometrist as medical doctors.
Pricing for contacts go by the cost that we get from the vendor. There are special contacts that can cost the big bucks. (I have patients that pay over $1,400 for contacts and thats only for a year!) But, most 2 week spherical contacts cost around $25 per box. 25x8=200 bucks for a year supply.

I have used both 1800Contacts and VisionDirect and never had a problem. VisionDirect also sends out coupon codes after you are a customer which is great!

Ask your eye doctor if they will match the online prices. I have worked for a local eye doctor for the past 16 years. At my office we will match online pricing just to keep the patient in our office to keep the $$ local. Sometimes being a private practice we will get special rebates to bring the cost down even more. It doesn't hurt to ask.

Dreamin Disney,
Flex $$ can be used for contact. It doesn't cover non-rx'd sunglasses. At my office its up to the parents and the doctor when a child is ready for contacts.
Vision insurance usually just covers the routine exam without a contact fitting. That insurance will sometimes give you a certian dollar amout towards contacts or frames and lenses. One of the best vision plans I deal with daily is called VSP. Medical insurace usually only covers an exam if there is something medically wrong. In Illinois BCBS HMO doesn't recongize Optometrist as medical doctors.
Pricing for contacts go by the cost that we get from the vendor. There are special contacts that can cost the big bucks. (I have patients that pay over $1,400 for contacts and thats only for a year!) But, most 2 week spherical contacts cost around $25 per box. 25x8=200 bucks for a year supply.
heres what mine covers. DD glass are covered up to $90. We pay extra for her special lens(bullet proof glass type glass) and transitional lens. We end up paying another $150-$165 out of pocket.

Standard frame - every 12 months 4

Standard frame Up to $90.00 $40.00
Contact lenses7 - every 12 months 3
Contact lenses7 - every 12 months

Elective (Cosmetic/Convenience) 5 Up to $100.00 $100.00
Up to $0.00 $0.00
Non-Elective (Medically necessary) 6
Hard 100% $250.00
Soft 100% $250.00

* Nationwide vision providers are available by arrangement through MESVision. Please visit our website to search for providers by state, city zip code or name.

1: The comprehensive eye examination is considered a separate service from a contact lens evaluation and fitting.

2: Standard lenses fit any frame with an eye size of 61 mm.

3: Standard lenses or contacts are covered every 12-months if required by a qualified prescription change.

A change in prescription of 0.50 diopter or more in one or both eyes.
A shift in axis of the cylinder of 15 degrees.
A difference in vertical prism greater than one degree.
A change in lens type (ie, single vision to bifocal, etc).

4: Retail frame benefits will be converted to wholesale-equivalent prices at certain provider locations, see provider directory or MESVision website at
5: In lieu of other eyewear, except when specifically provided. Disposable contact lenses should be purchased up to the maximum allowance. Any cost over contact lens allowance is a patient responsibility.

6: One pair, in lieu of other eyewear, except when specically provided. A report from the provider and approval from MESVision is required.

7: Contact allowance per pair. For most plans, the contact lens allowance includes the fitting, evaluation, and materials. As a result, the amount available for contact lens materials is reduced by the contact lens

looking at my coverage it looks like disposible contacts are fcovered up to $250 so those that use glasses and contacts does your plan cover one or the other example glasses or contacts? I dont understand if my coverage means it will cover the glasses up to $90 frames or 100% for contacts only or i can get both for the coverage stated? Like i said we dont wear glasses or contact so not sure exactly how it works. The MES office isnt open tonight to call and ask. Sorry if i sound dumb asking these questions i'm just confused on it.

oh and whats the difference between soft and hard contacts?

Most contact lenses are Elective. Medically needed contact are for people that glasses cannot correct their vision better than 20/40 and for patient with rare eye diseases. So, if I am reading your plan correct you will be covered upto the $100 for elective contacts. Most vision plans cover one or the other. I tell my patients to use it toward glasses the first year then on the 2nd year use it for contacts because its an off year for the frame.

Hard contact are made from a rigid material. It doesn't flex, they are hard to get use to because your eyelids need to form a callous, then the lids won't feel the lens. Soft are what most offices fit. They are more flexible and comfy. Soft lenses are what we start most of our neverworn patients with. At my office we will train the patient on putting them on and taking them off and how to care for them. If you do contacts plan on being at the office at least 45mins to maybe an hour. Let the techs teach the child and sit back and relax. That's the worse part of the job is trying to teach a kid and the parent has to be right there putting their 2 cents in. Have the tech go over cleaning them and the care with you the parent after the child has them in and is relaxed. Wearing the isn't hard just make sure the child WASHES hands before messing with the contacts. That's where most infections happen. Good luck!

I have really bad eyesight... I ALWAYS buy online. Price compare.

Hi all. So I got quoted that contacts for my horrible eyes will be $400 after insurance!!! AGH!! (I have rreeeeaaalllly bad eyes) Has anyone used that 1-800-Contacts place or other contacts places instead of their eye doc to save money?? :eek:

I have used Vision Direct to order DS contacts and have had a really good experience. Very quick delivery and much cheaper than the eye doctor. You can also buy them at Wal-Mart if you have your doctor's prescription. They are a little more expensive ($3 or $3 a box more) than online ordering, but if you don't want to wait, then I would recommend Wal-Mart. Same quality no matter where you get them. Look around at the various online ordering places and see who has the best deals. Most places offer first time order incentives or bulk incentives (1 box free if you buy 4). Good luck!

I ordered mine thru VisionDirect.com They were cheaper for mine than 1800 contacts with the coupon and sale they had at the time. I use accuvue oasys for astigmatism if that makes a difference. In 6 months, I'll revisit and see who's cheaper when I need to reorder. I only ordered 6 months since this is the first time I've had contacts and wanted to see how much I really liked wearing them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter