Hollywood studios must do's with 4 & 7 year old girls

jbuckent

DIS Veteran
I'm looking at HS and wondering what are the MUST DO's with my 4 and 7 year old girls. My 4 year old is almost 43 inches and I don't think we will do anything she can't, she is too head strong for us to get away with her not doing something we are. Let me know if any of the ones I think are priorities I should put on if there is still time list and if any of the others I should make a priority

Here is what I think we will should make priorities:
Beauty & Beast
Disney Junior - Live on Stage
The Magic of Disney Animation
Voyage of Little Mermaid
Toy Story Mania
Honey I Shrunk the Kids
Muppets

Not sure what to think of these:
Tower of Terror
Walt Disney: One Man's Dream
Studio Backlot Tour
Lights, Motors, Action
Journey in Narnia
Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Drew Caret
American Idol
The Great Movie Ride

I thought there was something about High School Musical but its not showing in my brochure, is that gone or at a different park? What about Nemo?

Tower of Terror is a must for my 6 year old DD! The Great Movie Ride was okay ~ we always do it since it is a ride, and there are many rides at DHS (and the times we've gone there has been a very minimal wait time). My DH took her through Narnia and she wasn't that impressed. Definitely keep all the must dos you have.

My DD9 has been going to Disney since she was one, so I'll pass along her opinions.

Beauty & Beast -- she doesn't care for it, because it's too time consuming, but I'm sure many little girls love it. my DD isn't fond of shows in general.

Disney Junior - Live on Stage -- she always liked the Playhouse Disney show that used to be in this location, until she was 7 and considered herself "too old" for it.

The Magic of Disney Animation -- she does not like the "show" portion. we enter through the gift shop to do the character meets. she LOVES the animation classes though.

Voyage of Little Mermaid -- even though it's a show, she does like this one. the effects are a lot of fun and there's enough action to keep it from being boring, plus it's fairly short.

Toy Story Mania -- she LOVES this ride, and so do I. it's a lot of fun for all ages, IMO.

Honey I Shrunk the Kids -- we can never get away with skipping the playground. it makes for a really good break between waiting in line and sitting through shows.

Muppets -- my DD doesn't like this one, but I wish she did. I grew up with the Muppets, so I enjoy it a lot. DD doesn't care for the Muppets, so she always wants to skip it, lol.

Tower of Terror -- she liked it when she was first tall enough for it, but she was never a timid child. she really isn't afraid of much, except lightning/thunder (so the brief part of the pre-show with lightning, she never liked). now, for some reason, she isn't so crazy about it any more, and she'd gladly skip it if I didn't love it so much. if either of your kids is easily scared, the theme might not be to their liking.

Walt Disney: One Man's Dream -- DD says it's boring

Studio Backlot Tour -- DD says it's boring

Lights, Motors, Action -- she likes it, but it isn't a must-do...if there's time then we see it. if it's warm enough to swim, she'd rather go back to the resort for some pool time.

Journey in Narnia -- never been in to see it, and I'm not sure if it's even there any more. it seems to me I read that they were taking it out.

Star Wars -- this is on her must-do list for sure.

Indiana Jones -- she doesn't care for this one, but then she doesn't care for most shows.

Drew Carey -- a definite waste of time. DD probably doesn't even remember it, because it's one of the few things I've done where, afterwards, I wished I could have my half hour back. ugh.

American Idol -- we've never seen it. DD vetoed it because it's a show, lol.

The Great Movie Ride -- personally, *I* like this one, but DD doesn't.

Nemo is a show at AK, which DD has never seen. I saw it on a solo trip, not long after it opened, and I know she wouldn't like it. It's too time consuming, and too long, IMO. Plus, she doesn't like shows.

HSM is/was a show they put on in front of the big hat. It was still happening when we were there last year. I'm not sure if it's still there or not. We didn't stop to watch it, just walked past a few times.

I'm looking at HS and wondering what are the MUST DO's with my 4 and 7 year old girls. My 4 year old is almost 43 inches and I don't think we will do anything she can't, she is too head strong for us to get away with her not doing something we are. Let me know if any of the ones I think are priorities I should put on if there is still time list and if any of the others I should make a priority

Here is what I think we will should make priorities:
Beauty & Beastabsolutely--we always sit to the side and in the very back so our kids can stand if they can't see
Disney Junior - Live on Stage--great show--also, if you are in the park during evening exra magic hours, there is a character dance party in that building that is GREAT for that age
The Magic of Disney Animationthis is so-so, BUT you'll definitely want to go to the character meet and greets in this area
Voyage of Little Mermaid--great show!
Toy Story Maniaget fastpasses first thing in the morning or you will have to stand in line for a LONG time
Honey I Shrunk the Kidsvery fun--hard to keep track of the kids on the bigger slides, but there is only one exit out of the attraction, so don't worry about letting them roam
Muppetsanother great show, but thye may need to sit on your lap to get the best view

Not sure what to think of these:
Tower of Terrornot sure your 4 yr. old would like it, but you would have to judge that
Walt Disney: One Man's Dreamthey probably wouldn't get the film part, but the displays in the building are pretty neat to see--you can just skip the film if you want to
Studio Backlot Tourthe preshow is a bit boring, but if they like the Hannah Montana movie then they will enjoy seeing the colorful chicken coop on the tour. Plus it is a nice break from walking
Lights, Motors, Action very loud, and has some fire effects, but if they like cars at all then they will like it
Journey in Narnia this is no longer open
Star Wars motiion sickness issues could be tested here, but if they are in to star wars then I would go for it
Indiana Jones okay show, but if they don't know who he is they really won't get it
Drew Caretthis operates seasonally, but I've been in every season and it has never been open:confused3
American Idolprobably too long to keep their interest
The Great Movie Rideanother nice break from the walking, but there are some scary scenes--Aliens and the wicked witch, but if they like The Wizard of Oz then you could give it a try

I thought there was something about High School Musical but its not showing in my brochure, is that gone or at a different park? The High School Musical Show has changed to Disney Channel Rocks. It is a great show if they are into Camp Rock, HSM, Shake It Up and Lemonade Mouth. Lots of singing and dancing. It takes place at certain times in front of the big hatWhat about Nemo?Nemo stuff is at EPCOT and AK

There are also TONS of great character meeting opportunities to be found at DHS. And just to let you know, our kids are 7 and 9 and have been going to DHS since they were 2 and 4. They really enjoy DHS and we generally spend 1 and 1/2 days there each trip.

One thing I think you should consider is the animation academy drawing class that's offered every half hour. It's for all ages. I am a horrific drawer and didn't want to do it, but did it anyway because my BF wanted to and it ended up being really fun and interesting and I had a recognizable character when I was done! It's simple drawing shapes so kids could do it easily. One of our favorite attractions there now.

My 5 year old is not generally a thrill ride girl. She pretty much hates splash and Big Thunder, and won't set foot near Space Mountain, Tower of Terror etc. She wanted to try Star Tours last month. DH and I said sure, but we had a feeling it would not go well. I told her before going on that while it would feel like she was moving, she really wasn't going anywhere and that she was in a car that was staying in the same place but just shaking and bouncing a little to make it feel like she was going somewhere. Apparently that was all she needed to make her feel safe because to our suprise she LOVED Star Tours. She wanted to go again and again. DH was thrilled because it is his favorite ride. If your daughters want to give it a try, I would definitely let them. DD would tell them it is a must do.

As far as the others, you definitely have the right things set as a priority. On the other stuff, I would let the girls decide what they do and don't want to do. I know my DD would absolutely hate Tower of Terror, but that doesn't mean your girls will. I would let it be their decision as to whether they want to try it.

My 5 year old is not generally a thrill ride girl. She pretty much hates splash and Big Thunder, and won't set foot near Space Mountain, Tower of Terror etc. She wanted to try Star Tours last month. DH and I said sure, but we had a feeling it would not go well. I told her before going on that while it would feel like she was moving, she really wasn't going anywhere and that she was in a car that was staying in the same place but just shaking and bouncing a little to make it feel like she was going somewhere. Apparently that was all she needed to make her feel safe because to our suprise she LOVED Star Tours. She wanted to go again and again. DH was thrilled because it is his favorite ride. If your daughters want to give it a try, I would definitely let them. DD would tell them it is a must do.

As far as the others, you definitely have the right things set as a priority. On the other stuff, I would let the girls decide what they do and don't want to do. I know my DD would absolutely hate Tower of Terror, but that doesn't mean your girls will. I would let it be their decision as to whether they want to try it.

I'm glad I read this about Star Tours ~ I really knew nothing about it! The last time we went it was closed and the time before DD wasn't tall enough. Looks like we have something else to do at DHS this year!

My girls (8 & 5) also LOVED Star Tours on our trip last summer. We rode it over and over during EMH. It is now tied for their favorite ride in all of WDW. They really like the Star Wars movies and video games as well, much to the delight of my DH (and me too). We are a Star Wars family :)

My DD5 was 4 on our last trip and rode Tower of Terror for the first time. She enjoyed it, and says she wants to go again. My oldest DD8 has ridden it once, as she is a good sport and will try most rides once, but she did not like it. She has not been much of a thrill ride fan, although she FINALLY likes BTMR. My youngest is definitely more of a thrill seeker.

My girls are not huge fans of most of the shows, although they have always enjoyed Disney Junior show and the Muppets movie. I think they will be even more excited about the Muppets this year, since they loved the new movie!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter