Hollywood Studios August 2015

jim61vik

Earning My Ears
My daughter (12) and I recently returned from a 10 day visit to WDW. Stayed at the POP Century. Had the deluxe dining plan.

Much to my surprise we found ourselves returning to the Studios repeatedly during our trip. I know there has been a lot of negativity about HS but we really had a great time and when MK was massively crowded and AK was so hot I thought my brain would melt and my feet hurt from walking around world showcase at EPCOT, we found ourselves back at HS. Park Hopper obviously made this possible. A couple times we took the boat from EPCOT, which is really nice, especially if you're in World Showcase and don't want to walk all the way back to the front of EPCOT.

My daughter and I both loved Rock n Roller coaster and used fast pass and the single rider line several times to ride it. I think we did it 3 times one day.

Also the Tower of Terror is awesome and we did that ride 8 times during our visit. The cast here is so great, they really get into their roles. My daughter was totally creeped out a couple times by the cast and they really set the ambiance. The gift shop here is also pretty neat all kinds of little attraction themed items.

Frozen... I know some of you are getting sick of it. But this was the first time we've been to WDW since the film came out. Although my daughter has seen it many times I had only seen it once (grudgingly I have to admit) but enjoyed it. We both thought the Frozen themed shows were VERY good, the sing along was funny and great. The short film was also fun (and a nice break from the heat outside). The dance party was good and my daughter had a great time there as well. And we loved the fireworks, glad to hear they will be doing them here for Star Wars as well it's really a good touch. We also sat at by the lake one night at the POP Century and had an awesome view of the fireworks. It would be a nice touch if the resort could pipe in the music so guests could gather and listen and watch.

It was difficult to see Toy Story but that's been that way for years. Only saw it 3 times. I think we used a single line here as well once.

Indiana Jones is pretty unchanged, kind of wish they'd update it a bit or modify the story some. I really hope that when the Star Wars upgrades start Indiana Jones still has a presence in the park in some form either as a ride or show.

Star Tours was good as well and we tried it numerous times, never had the same story line twice. Lines were always pretty manageable as well.

Did Fantasmic which was good and changed from my last visit a couple years ago. Beauty and the Beast musical is still one of the better shows at WDW. SO elegant.

Can't forget the Muppets, still corny as heck, but fun. I hope they can update this one sometime. The venue is ok, just need to change up the film some.

Ate at several locations, Mama Melrose, Sci -Fi, 50's primetime twice.
Mama Melrose was not very good in my opinion, steak was average with decent pasta (but hey, it's an italian restaurant it should have good pasta!) although my daughter loved the spaghetti. She's 12 what can I say,( she also likes spaghetti o's LOL). We also had to wait at least 30 minutes past our reservation time.... not good. I'd say it is still better than Tony's in the MK.
Sci-Fi was good, we had burgers and milk shakes. Pricey as you kind of expect. Had a 15 minute wait here as well.
50's is very popular and we had a good 20 minute wait. Food was not as good as we've had in the past but still good. The servers were awesome. My daughter dressed up in a 50's "Pink Lady's" satin jacket and poodle skirt and really made an impression (she was adorable), When we came back a couple days later our server from the first day stopped to visit with us to see if we were enjoying our vacation. I was really impressed that she remembered us, even remembered my daughters name! It really made us feel part of the family.

I know some people think Hollywood Studios is a partial day visit, but the quality of attractions, shows and food is really pretty good. I think we were there 5 times in 9 days, 2 of the days for most of the day. When they add the new Toy Story and Star Wars stuff we will love it even more although the crowds will then be a lot worse. If your kids are older this park is a good place to spend some time.

We love HS. (our 2nd only behind MK) Glad to "see the love". Can't wait to get back there in a few weeks! Thank for the great report...

Dan

Some folks just need something to complain about. HS has always been my and DW's favorite. The kiddos love the Disney Jr. show, TSMM, the street performers. So to us it's still a full day park. YMMV

We go on
Toy story, movie ride, tower of terror, rock n roller coaster, Frozen sing along, beauty and the beast, muppets, star tours. And there's s few other things to do.

And people say it's s half day park! Most of all I love walking down sunset boulevard at night.

My daughter (12) and I recently returned from a 10 day visit to WDW. Stayed at the POP Century. Had the deluxe dining plan.

Much to my surprise we found ourselves returning to the Studios repeatedly during our trip. I know there has been a lot of negativity about HS but we really had a great time and when MK was massively crowded and AK was so hot I thought my brain would melt and my feet hurt from walking around world showcase at EPCOT, we found ourselves back at HS. Park Hopper obviously made this possible. A couple times we took the boat from EPCOT, which is really nice, especially if you're in World Showcase and don't want to walk all the way back to the front of EPCOT.

My daughter and I both loved Rock n Roller coaster and used fast pass and the single rider line several times to ride it. I think we did it 3 times one day.

Also the Tower of Terror is awesome and we did that ride 8 times during our visit. The cast here is so great, they really get into their roles. My daughter was totally creeped out a couple times by the cast and they really set the ambiance. The gift shop here is also pretty neat all kinds of little attraction themed items.

Frozen... I know some of you are getting sick of it. But this was the first time we've been to WDW since the film came out. Although my daughter has seen it many times I had only seen it once (grudgingly I have to admit) but enjoyed it. We both thought the Frozen themed shows were VERY good, the sing along was funny and great. The short film was also fun (and a nice break from the heat outside). The dance party was good and my daughter had a great time there as well. And we loved the fireworks, glad to hear they will be doing them here for Star Wars as well it's really a good touch. We also sat at by the lake one night at the POP Century and had an awesome view of the fireworks. It would be a nice touch if the resort could pipe in the music so guests could gather and listen and watch.

It was difficult to see Toy Story but that's been that way for years. Only saw it 3 times. I think we used a single line here as well once.

Indiana Jones is pretty unchanged, kind of wish they'd update it a bit or modify the story some. I really hope that when the Star Wars upgrades start Indiana Jones still has a presence in the park in some form either as a ride or show.

Star Tours was good as well and we tried it numerous times, never had the same story line twice. Lines were always pretty manageable as well.

Did Fantasmic which was good and changed from my last visit a couple years ago. Beauty and the Beast musical is still one of the better shows at WDW. SO elegant.

Can't forget the Muppets, still corny as heck, but fun. I hope they can update this one sometime. The venue is ok, just need to change up the film some.

Ate at several locations, Mama Melrose, Sci -Fi, 50's primetime twice.
Mama Melrose was not very good in my opinion, steak was average with decent pasta (but hey, it's an italian restaurant it should have good pasta!) although my daughter loved the spaghetti. She's 12 what can I say,( she also likes spaghetti o's LOL). We also had to wait at least 30 minutes past our reservation time.... not good. I'd say it is still better than Tony's in the MK.
Sci-Fi was good, we had burgers and milk shakes. Pricey as you kind of expect. Had a 15 minute wait here as well.
50's is very popular and we had a good 20 minute wait. Food was not as good as we've had in the past but still good. The servers were awesome. My daughter dressed up in a 50's "Pink Lady's" satin jacket and poodle skirt and really made an impression (she was adorable), When we came back a couple days later our server from the first day stopped to visit with us to see if we were enjoying our vacation. I was really impressed that she remembered us, even remembered my daughters name! It really made us feel part of the family.

I know some people think Hollywood Studios is a partial day visit, but the quality of attractions, shows and food is really pretty good. I think we were there 5 times in 9 days, 2 of the days for most of the day. When they add the new Toy Story and Star Wars stuff we will love it even more although the crowds will then be a lot worse. If your kids are older this park is a good place to spend some time.
LOVE LOVE LOVE Frozen and HS! We had a blast at Frozen Summer Fun a few weeks ago! The Dessert Party was tons of fun and the fireworks were amazing! TOT is our favorite ride! We usually visit The Studios twice during a trip! :)

I'm with y'all. Our Disney trips are typically a week long and we spend 6 days (no park hopper yet) at the parks. MK is an automatic 2 day assumption and HS has always been the other park we visit twice each trip. It doesn't have the rides that MK has, but my kids really enjoy the shows and the rides they do have.

I went to DHS in late August (stayed at Pop too) .. and love that park. Still my favorite and with the changes coming I don't see it being dethroned.

I was with a big family group with 3 toddlers, so I couldn't do as much as I wanted to at that park, but we still got a lot done. Simply the scheduling of the shows makes it near impossible to see/do everything in one day.

I loved Toy Story Midway Mania (first time in past three trips to finally get on the ride thanks to FP+) .. wish we could have done it again, but the long lines prevented that (with toddlers in tow).

I like the Frozen stuff at the park, since they removed the "making of movies" attractions, it adds some much needed character back to the park. The parade was fun, The Sing-along is fun and I simply liked being able to see Frozen Fever for the first time (despite that theatre being an utter wreck (and smelled)). And my niece took advantage of the Ice Palace Boutique (way easier to get reservation than BBB)

Star Tours is more fun now that the scenes are random. It made multiple rides exciting.

Saw the Disney Junior show for the first time. That show needs to be retained in some form during all the upgrades. That is the perfect show/attraction for preschoolers at WDW. Besides kiddie rides and character meals, there isn't many attractions geared towards that age group. My son would have seen that several times that day if we would have let him.

Shocked at the low level of the crowds and the fact I was able to get a FP late at night for Rock-N-Roller coaster (my wife was kind enough to watch the boy and let me ride solo). I looked for a FP+ at 7:35 and found one for 7:40!

Only disappointment was not being able to get on the GMR. Not being able to FP+ it for the morning (due to tiering with TSMM) the line was too long to wait between shows we wanted to see. We didn't get there at rope drop (toddlers) or we would have just done it then. Not a fan of the tiering system at DHS .. especially since there are only 5 rides TOTAL at the park (Fast Passes NEVER seem needed for shows).

We really enjoyed it, too. We went for one full day and went back on our last day to do somethings again and finally get on Toy Story. I LOVED the Frozen fireworks. Me and my daughter teared up a little bit. It was our first time seeing all the Frozen things, too, and it was awesome. Did you see the short film? Even my 12 year old son loved it. It was funny.

We missed Indiana Jones and split up so my daughter could do the Frozen sing along and my son could see Lights Motor Action, but aside from that there was nothing we missed! It was a great time.

Glad you enjoyed it, too.

One thing I did not talk about much was the shopping in Hollywood Studios. We really found good themed merchandise here, AK and World Showcase are pretty good this way too in some shops. I was really disappointed that they did not have more Marvel Merchandise. I think they could do some great business with a good Marvel shop. We went to Downtown Disney to the "Superhero Store", it was a nice store but pretty small. It was also swamped with people and selling stuff like crazy. I know they can't put up an attraction but I can't imagine they can't sell merchandise!

My daughter really thought I should buy myself an "Indiana Jones hat". I really don't usually buy souvenirs for myself when I go to the parks so I told her no. She said she'd take all her souvenirs back and pay for it herself, so I caved in and bought it. I must have had a dozen people over the last two days of our trip ask where we found it. The shop by Indiana Jones show also had Indiana Jones books and several unique items.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter