Hollywood Brown Derby - Grapefruit Cake @ Starring Rolls?

:thumbsup2 I second that request!!

Here it is: I've also added some comments at the end on some variations I've tried..... :)
Brown Derby Grapefruit Cake
Cream Cheese Froosting:

8 oz softened cream cheese
1/2 C + 2 Tbl sugar
3 pink grapefruit sections
1/2 tsp powdered gelatin
2 Tbl grapefruit juice
1/2 C heavy cream

Blend cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Mix in 3 grapefruit sections. Dissolve gelatin in grapefruit juice and stir in to mix. Heat juice in a saucepan, then add to cream-cheese mixture.
In a separate bowl, whip the cream to a soft peak. Fold it into the mix and refigerate about an hour.

Cake
3 C flour
1.5 C sugar
1 Tbl baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 C water
1/2 C vegetable oil
6 eggs, separated
6 Tbl grapefruit jiuce
1 tsp grated lemon rind
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
10 pink grapefruit sections

Heat oven to 350. Sift flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Form a well in the dry ingredients and fill it with the water, oil, egg yolks,
grapefruit juice and lemon rind. Beat until smooth.
In separate bowl beat egg whites/cream of tartar till stiff but not dry. Fold into mix. Pour into 2 greased or non-stick 9 in cake pans.

Bake 25-30 min or until cake springs back when lightly touched.
Cool on rack then remove from pans.

Frost top of one cake. Then break up 2 grapefruit sections and scatter on frosting. Top with second cake and frost completely. Garnish with remaining grapefruit sections.

We like frosting, so sometimes I increase the frosting recipe by 1.5. I've also halved the cake recipe, and made only one cake which I split into 2 layers.

Enjoy!

Here it is: I've also added some comments at the end on some variations I've tried..... :)
Brown Derby Grapefruit Cake
Cream Cheese Froosting:

8 oz softened cream cheese
1/2 C + 2 Tbl sugar
3 pink grapefruit sections
1/2 tsp powdered gelatin
2 Tbl grapefruit juice
1/2 C heavy cream

Blend cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Mix in 3 grapefruit sections. Dissolve gelatin in grapefruit juice and stir in to mix. Heat juice in a saucepan, then add to cream-cheese mixture.
In a separate bowl, whip the cream to a soft peak. Fold it into the mix and refigerate about an hour.

Cake
3 C flour
1.5 C sugar
1 Tbl baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 C water
1/2 C vegetable oil
6 eggs, separated
6 Tbl grapefruit jiuce
1 tsp grated lemon rind
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
10 pink grapefruit sections

Heat oven to 350. Sift flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Form a well in the dry ingredients and fill it with the water, oil, egg yolks,
grapefruit juice and lemon rind. Beat until smooth.
In separate bowl beat egg whites/cream of tartar till stiff but not dry. Fold into mix. Pour into 2 greased or non-stick 9 in cake pans.

Bake 25-30 min or until cake springs back when lightly touched.
Cool on rack then remove from pans.

Frost top of one cake. Then break up 2 grapefruit sections and scatter on frosting. Top with second cake and frost completely. Garnish with remaining grapefruit sections.

We like frosting, so sometimes I increase the frosting recipe by 1.5. I've also halved the cake recipe, and made only one cake which I split into 2 layers.

Enjoy!

Thanks for posting.... I'm thinking I may make one prior to going so we can compare.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter