• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hollister Smell

My husband says the same thing about Old Navy-that there is a stink he can smell from outside

Now I wouldn't ever do a&f (hollister came along after I'd moved on to jcrew, banana republic etc) because of the music-im no old foogey, but the music is just too loud and distracting to me.

True story, my DD 12 and I shopping at Hollister at the checkout counter, music blaring:
Cashier: that will be $59
Me: What?
Cashier: that will be $59
Me: How much?
DD 12: Mom, just give them your credit card. We can check the receipt outside. I need to leave it stinks and is too loud in here....
(And she is their target demographic!:confused3)

karenos;)

It's my DS15's favorite store. Well, at least favorite clothing to wear. He hates shopping, so usually, it's me who goes in there. I can't say that I love it...it's dark, loud, and stinky. That reminds me of the facebook group "Welcome to Hollister: here's your flashlight, gas mask, and earplugs"! :laughing:

One thing about the prices...I never EVER buy anything full price. I head right to the back of the store and shop the clearance. I've always done very well back there, and spend less on shirts than I would at Target! He doesn't wear their jeans or shorts...he doesn't like the raggy ripped look, and Hollister has a lot of that.

Another store I can't stand to shop in is Aeropostale. It doesn't stink, but the racks are soooo close together, you just can't move in there (especially when they are busy!!)

His jeans come from American Eagle (he wears a hard size to find: 30x34) and that is a store I don't mind going into. A little loud sometimes, but decent lighting, plenty of room to move around, and no stinky cologne smell!

I think I could have written your post. My ds15(at the end of this month) wears Hollister t-shirts (they hug his muscles just right :rolleyes:) and American Eagle jeans (same size as your son). Hollister also has great online sales. I check their website frequently. The darkness of the store bothers me more than the music or smell...my ds hates to shop so we are in and out pretty quick, but because it is so dark, I can't see to read the prices.

The biggest problem with the smell is that it is so overwhelming, as soon as you step into the store. If they would just lighten it up a bit, it might not be so bad.

The smell and the loud music are awful. The "I am so cool, I work in this store" attitude kills me. There is really no reason to greet a middle aged woman with the ol' head nod, hands in pocket, half asleep "Wassup":rotfl2:

Ours yell at you. Because really, there is no other way to converse in that store.

I always tell DD I need to find a chair because it makes me dizzy if I'm in there too long. I swear you need a flashlight, gas mask and ear plugs in there.

I totally agree! I can't stand the smell or how load the music is. My DS tells me I'm crazy. Now that I'm pregnant its even worse!

Do they think that the smell and noise is a turn on or it is a marketing ploy to sell their cologne/perfume?!?

Probably because we don't have the stores in Ireland yet (to my knowlege), but the smell is probably the thing that my Mother finds most exciting about the packages of those clothes my Uncle sends over from the states.
Never cared much for their stuff myself to be honest, but that's just because I find the clothes pretty boring.

I totally agree! I can't stand the smell or how load the music is. My DS tells me I'm crazy. Now that I'm pregnant its even worse!

Do they think that the smell and noise is a turn on or it is a marketing ploy to sell their cologne/perfume?!?

I think it's meant to keep the parents out - so the kids spend more money in there alone, without our sage advice.

It's a crappy pseudo-surf shop with over-priced clothing for people would couldn't tell the difference between a surfboard and their own excrement hole. Of course none of us are really their demographic so they don't really care if we find their store terrible or not.

I don't so much mind their style of clothing but it can be found not only cheaper but better quality elsewhere.

I don't shop at any of those stores mostly because I won't pay that much for basics, but the smells are horrible. Our Hollister doesn't seem to have much of a scent, but you can smell A&F from several stores down as you are walking in the mall. :sick: yuck. I start sneezing and coughing just walking by, I can't imagine going inside. I also imagine you have to deal with anything you buy there coming home with that stench that to my DH and I smells like drakkar noir or some similar cheap cologne. Though I think it is the store brand stuff :confused3

If you head to the back (I know, I know :laughing:) you can find great deals on Tshirts,which are much better quality than target or Old navy.

DS is still too skinny to wear their jeans, so we only buy shirts from there right now.

Love this thread!:laughing:

I used to work at The Gap and we were located right beside Hollister in the mall. The smell was so strong it seeped into our store and I was surrounded with that scent all day every day I worked. :faint: I smelled like Hollister at the end of every shift. Their stores are just awful. I'm not in their target demographic anymore, but I have a little cousin who I take shopping fairly often and she LOVES going in there. I immediately find the nearest armchair and try to envision my "happy place" until she's ready to leave!:rotfl:

This thread is too funny! :teeth: I always wondered why Hollister and Abercrombie was so dark inside. It's hard to tell what color certain items are because of the dim lighting. I also wondered why all their merchandise smelled of their cologne and perfume.

It's a crappy pseudo-surf shop with over-priced clothing for people would couldn't tell the difference between a surfboard and their own excrement hole. Of course none of us are really their demographic so they don't really care if we find their store terrible or not.

I don't so much mind their style of clothing but it can be found not only cheaper but better quality elsewhere.

Ok then, I don't think anything more needs to be said here. :lmao:

Once again FD finds a way to cram a ton of "win" into one post. :thumbsup2

The smell is godawful, the music is nerve-grating, but the fact that the place is as dark as Eqypt is what put me over the edge. I told DD I hadn't realized I'd need a flashlight to see the clothing or a torch to see the pricetags when I'd agreed to go in there. The whole "atmosphere" got on my one last nerve in record time and we walked out. DH had never come in and was sitting at the entry in a chair. He said, "You're already finished looking?" and I told him, "No, I just can't stand to stay in there any longer, so my money and I are leaving." He became curious, walked in and came right back out.

Geez, I felt like channeling my mother and telling them to pay their electric bill already. :lmao:

FireDancer, my DS16 wears button down dress shirts to school every day and I know Hollister is expensive, but we buy off the sale rack. I actually think their clothes are pretty good quality. His clothes from there have held up better than a lot of other popular brands.:rolleyes:

The smell doesn't really bother me. It's the lighting that does. I cannot see a single thing in Holister. AF is a little better with the light. But Hollister is terrible! Even the dressing room is dark. I don't really shop there anymore. There is a great store by me called Buckle, which I always go to.

Once again FD finds a way to cram a ton of "win" into one post. :thumbsup2

I try. Charlie Sheen is my "win" role-model.

FireDancer, my DS16 wears button down dress shirts to school every day and I know Hollister is expensive, but we buy off the sale rack. I actually think their clothes are pretty good quality. His clothes from there have held up better than a lot of other popular brands.:rolleyes:

Glad it works for you. It has been years since I bought anything from there and the seams were always a little off and the shirts didn't last all that long. I bought mostly polos though so maybe their button down shirts are better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter