holiday showdown

carolfoy

<font color=cc6633>One has Ones hat and One's orf.
inspired by k-herms 'where to holiday' thread
did anyone else see this programme this week?
I thought the family that had never been outside of Bristol did really well to cope with Thailand! It did inspire me to look more closely at Thai holidays for perhaps 2007. Anyone got any tips/advice?

I don't normally watch that programme 'cos they always seem to have people who are SOOO adamant that their holiday choice should be the only one for everyone but I did enjoy it this week.

I missed it, but my friends were telling me about it last night.

What made me laugh was the fact that they live in Bristol, holiday in Bristol or Weston Super Mare, but they never stay overnight.
They always take the bus on day trips and then go home after.

Although I like my own bed and am always happy to get home (unless I have been to WDW/DLP of course) I love staying away from home for a break.

Staying away = no housework etc.

Sorry, never been to Thailand so no advice, except for have fun if you decide to go there.

We have just been talking about this at work. I found it absolutely hilarious that they went to Weston Supermare, which was about 20 mins away, and it took them 3 hours by bus :rotfl2: I felt really sorry for the teenage girls in the 1st family, having never been given the opportunity to get out of Bristol - it's a great place but there's more out there....

I know, the 3 hours by bus bit was hilarious and so was the 'lets go bowling for 8 hours' bit. Bless them. At least they didn't mind travelling in Thailand so much but it was funny when they criticised the Thai family for travelling a whole day to get some where - err, yes! 6000 miles away not 20!

I thought the woman from the Bristol family had real problems, she seemed almost scared of leaving a familiar area and the constant crying was a bit odd. I felt so sorry for her daughters as she smothered them so much.
Did you notice that her husband was in the end bit at home, I wonder if they had split up??? :confused3

Just in case any body is interested and missed it, it is repeated again tonight on ITV 2 at 8pm. Ive set the sky + to tape it. :goodvibes

carolfoy said:
It did inspire me to look more closely at Thai holidays for perhaps 2007. Anyone got any tips/advice?

Thailand is a beautiful country with wonderful people. However, you have to be sure of where you're going. If you go with an organized tour, then I assume they would know what to avoid. If you go on your own, just be careful to do your research before you go. There are areas in Thailand where you really don't want to be (too dangerous). But it's quite possible to avoid those areas and enjoy the rest of Thailand. You could visit just Thailand or combine it with neighboring countries (since you've already dragged yourself that far). It depends how much time you have and how adventurous you are. Thailand is very advanced in terms of tourism and openess. It has been for decades. However some of the neighboring countries are just now opening up and are also very interesting.

Hi Beth, thanks for the advice, we'll probably go for just 2 weeks, I'm thinking 3 nights Bangkok, 3 nights Hua Hin, 3 in another resort haven't decided between koh samui, pattaya, phuket, cha am and 3 nights in the north elephant trekking.

Its all up in the air, I'll probably end up booking for WDw again :rotfl:

jen_uk said:
I thought the woman from the Bristol family had real problems, she seemed almost scared of leaving a familiar area and the constant crying was a bit odd. I felt so sorry for her daughters as she smothered them so much.
Did you notice that her husband was in the end bit at home, I wonder if they had split up??? :confused3

You have to remember that this is 2 weeks crammed (taking adverts into account) into 45 minutes. The TV company "cuts" the programme to give the effect they want. For example, a year or so ago, a family local to me appeared on the programme. The daughter was a single mother who "effed" and "blinded" and tantrumed all the way through the programme. She came over as a right *!**!!.

However, she was interviewed (live) on local radio a couple of days later and explained that she had one short period of anger lasting about 30 minutes. This was then cut into the entire length of the programme to create the "image" the TV company wanted. On the radio, she sounded well educated, intelligent and sensible.

Oh, yes I can imagine its very well edited to show the people exactly how they want the families to come across. I think the Bristol ladies problems were actually stemming from her own relationship with her mother, she just seemed to me to feel like the other family were showing up what she felt to be her inadequacies as a mother. She was a great Mum and obviously always put her kids first but she felt inadequate.

Dicky Knee said:
You have to remember that this is 2 weeks crammed (taking adverts into account) into 45 minutes. The TV company "cuts" the programme to give the effect they want. For example, a year or so ago, a family local to me appeared on the programme. The daughter was a single mother who "effed" and "blinded" and tantrumed all the way through the programme. She came over as a right *!**!!.

However, she was interviewed (live) on local radio a couple of days later and explained that she had one short period of anger lasting about 30 minutes. This was then cut into the entire length of the programme to create the "image" the TV company wanted. On the radio, she sounded well educated, intelligent and sensible.

Its not even 2 weeks, usually they only do 4 days on each holiday! I know its edited to make people look worse than they are but the Bristol mother cried for attention on every activity she chose and the ones on the other families holiday! Im sure as Carol said its do with her own mother but she came as across as being very smothering towards her children. She is probably a lovely lady but the fact that she wont leave Bristol and the comments she made about travelling on a bus for 3 hours but she cant go any further as it would involve a train journey suggests that there is an underlying problem.

So what is every body else's idea of holiday hell? I would have said a week ago that there is no particular holiday that would have me reaching for the noose but I think after spending a week in and around my hometown and returning home to sleep every night, relying on public transport to get anywhere etc would hit the nail on the head!

I live very close to Blackpool, and once knew a bloke who took his young kid's to Pontin's........in Blackpool!!

However, he drove them there the long way, ie an hour or so down the motorway and back to convince them they were going somewhere special, I think they were either very young or gullible, or both....

My idea of holiday hell would be staying with the Mother In Law at her new apartment in Spain or any adventure where I would have to sleep in a tent.
It's not going to happen.

I agree with Jen's recent comments about the lady from Bristol, very strange.

JohnnySharp2 said:
I live very close to Blackpool, and once knew a bloke who took his young kid's to Pontin's........in Blackpool!!

However, he drove them there the long way, ie an hour or so down the motorway and back to convince them they were going somewhere special, I think they were either very young or gullible, or both....

My idea of holiday hell would be staying with the Mother In Law at her new apartment in Spain or any adventure where I would have to sleep in a tent.
It's not going to happen.

I agree with Jen's recent comments about the lady from Bristol, very strange.

:rotfl2: Those poor kids, I hope they didn't get travel sick going so far for their hols :rotfl2:

I wonder how long it was before they twigged? :rotfl:

carolfoy said:
Hi Beth, thanks for the advice, we'll probably go for just 2 weeks, I'm thinking 3 nights Bangkok, 3 nights Hua Hin, 3 in another resort haven't decided between koh samui, pattaya, phuket, cha am and 3 nights in the north elephant trekking.

Its all up in the air, I'll probably end up booking for WDw again :rotfl:

3 nights in Bangkok is probably more than enough (it's more of a place to travel through than to visit). I don't know if they still have river cruises in Bangkok, but it's a great way to see their way of life if they do.

Hua Hin is nice, but nothing special as beaches go (in terms of beauty of the surrounding area). Phuket is much more beautiful. And I prefer Phuket to Koh Samui. Although i don't know how it is post-tsunami.
I've never been to Pattaya or Cha Am, though i've heard some very very bad things about Pattaya.

the elephant trekking sounds like the most fun part of the trip. I'd love to hear all about it if you do. And take lots and lots of pictures!!!

Thanks again Beth, I think phuket will probably win us over as there does seem to be a lot going on. Pattaya really is quite club 18-30 so that's out (I'm too old :sad2: )
As I said, its all a bit up in the air at the mo, just something I fancy looking into for next year

carolfoy said:
Thanks again Beth, I think phuket will probably win us over as there does seem to be a lot going on. Pattaya really is quite club 18-30 so that's out (I'm too old :sad2: )
As I said, its all a bit up in the air at the mo, just something I fancy looking into for next year

yes i always love looking into potential places to visit....
planning is half the fun.......

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter