Holiday Decoration Crack Down

Well if folks are tampering with the electrical system or doing anything beyond simply plugging in, then their new policy makes sense. Electrical systems can be a matter of life and death. Maybe folks will go for more "quality" in their displays rather than "quantity".

Bama ed

THIS IS TERRIBLE NEWS!! The decorations at Dosney during the Christmas season were certainly a highlight of the trip. There were plenty of large TASTEFUL decorations that Disney lovers spent lots of time and money setting up not for them, but for all of us to enjoy.

I certainly think that this a negative and hope that Disney/FW does not further restrict the decorations.:confused3

How sad. I'm glad I finally got to experience them in December. My family had a great time moseying through the loops looking at the craziness.

While I enjoyed the decor, if it comes down to this rule or jacking site rates sky high(er), then I guess I'm for the rule. The electricity isn't free and I kind of figured Disney wasn't going to eat that cost forever. It was either going to come out in higher rates or stricter rules.

Site rates are based on the "average" cost to operate that site per day plus give Disney a profit. All that decor goes way over the average. Part of the problem is that some people never unplugged anything. Go by during they day, all the lights are on. That gets costly. I liked the decor, but I know I wouldn't like having to pay more for a site so the decor could stay. That's just my .02.

I think it would be hard to calculate an average cost for a campsite. What about the empty ones who aren't using ANY electricity, water, or sewer...and no cleaning required? I LIKE the decorations, and we put up more than average, but I could never understand how the breakers at the sites could support such a quantity. Always seems to work, though. The site decorations are a big part of the holiday seasons at the Fort and will be sadly missed by MOST folks, especially those who can only come during the holidays and/or come only during those times just to see the decorations. This will be a big let-down for us and for many.

I can see somebody walking up to an electrical junction box in a fort common area with a screwdriver saying,

"i know how to squeeze a few more amps out".

Then ZAP - POW one dead dude.

Bama ed

My opinion is that a camper should be allowed to go nuts as far as electric supply allows on their sites only. No infringement on common areas or neighboring site.

Years ago I decorated a 40' trawler for Christmas boat parades. The water made for very firm limits and so did the diesel generator.

OK does the footprint rule include a height restriction? I can see creative folks building towering decorations above their motorhomes and trailers. Can you imagine a skyscraper of lights?

I think its to cut down on power usage. Its all about dollaz at Diz.

Here are just a few rule that I was told. No uses of common area, displays must stay within footprint of site, No walk through displays, Displays no higher than RV’s and No modification of electrical boxs. There are more but this is the main ones.

Here are just a few rule that I was told. No uses of common area, displays must stay within footprint of site, No walk through displays, Displays no higher than RV’s and No modification of electrical boxs. There are more but this is the main ones.

Makes sense to me.

Seriously, individualized concepts, imagineering in execution could provide fantastic displays.

I think the last one was the straw that broke the camel's back. If people start putting larger breakers in a circuit thats not designed for one that large, bad things can happen.

I'm also thinking that the entire electrical system is not designed for max load on all sites, which may happen when the Tim Taylors in the loop try to out do each other and start grunting "We need more power".

Last year we had a large premium site and more than 25 blowups and a lot of lights. Behind our concrete pad there was an open area that was not designated for a path or camping so I did put some of the decorations back there but I did not cross the sidewalk, etc. Our neighbors asked us to put some on their site too.:) We will still bring the 100 extra pounds this December and see how many we can get our site. All the campers loved our site and would stop and comment on it and also take many, many pictures. If I could afford it, I would reserve two sites just to decorate the other one exactly as I want it with EVERYTHING I want on it.
Our special needs children, enjoy the lights and all the music and decorations and that is the least we can do for them and the enjoyment of others.
We have never tampered with the power box and always had just enough
outlets to power all our blow ups. I have seen the WDW castmembers come by checking the power at our site and it always passed inspection.

We love Christmas and even though we are going in July for 2 weeks it won't be the same without the blowups and lights. But I am sure the heat will be terrific! arghhhhhhhhhh

Hope to see some of you there in July and again in december.

Judy, Ken and the 3 special Angels

Last year we had a large premium site and more than 25 blowups and a lot of lights. Behind our concrete pad there was an open area that was not designated for a path or camping so I did put some of the decorations back there but I did not cross the sidewalk, etc. Our neighbors asked us to put some on their site too.:) We will still bring the 100 extra pounds this December and see how many we can get our site. All the campers loved our site and would stop and comment on it and also take many, many pictures. If I could afford it, I would reserve two sites just to decorate the other one exactly as I want it with EVERYTHING I want on it.
Our special needs children, enjoy the lights and all the music and decorations and that is the least we can do for them and the enjoyment of others.
We have never tampered with the power box and always had just enough
outlets to power all our blow ups. I have seen the WDW castmembers come by checking the power at our site and it always passed inspection.

We love Christmas and even though we are going in July for 2 weeks it won't be the same without the blowups and lights. But I am sure the heat will be terrific! arghhhhhhhhhh

Hope to see some of you there in July and again in december.

Judy, Ken and the 3 special Angels

You go guys! I'll support ya. And if I get to go this year (instead of cruising) I'll be right there with you with my truck load of stuff. I don't think this should be this big of an issue. Yes, I agree that you shouldn't be allowed to mess with the electrical boxes to pull out more ampage. But, for goodness sakes they shouldn't prevent anyone from being able to max out with decorations. I personally wouldn't have any qaulms about going through a site inspection from security or even the maintenance folks if that's what it takes to keep everyone safe. I don't even mind a daytime policy for decorations within reason if it helps. But, I personally have my stuff on a timer for even my year round Disney decorations. It's a shame that it has come to this.

Let me start by saying I LOVE Christmas and especially decorations. I have even made a December reservation mainly to experience the Fort during the season.

That said, I guess I can see the logic behind most of the above restrictions. Remember, Disney constantly looks ahead and have people whose only job it is to sit and think "what if." I think the common area and no walk through restrictions are probably due to the possibility of other guests tripping, etc. and holding Disney responsible. Further, on the common area restriction, they are probably worried about "turf" disputes as well controlling the images displayed. There are always people out there (not on these boards hopefully) who will try to push the envelope or create controversy. I am sure we can all imagine some inappropriate displays that we wouldn't care to pass on our way to the park. I am a huge advocate of free speech but in Disney it is "their park, their land, their rules" and I appreciate that.

The height thing is probably just an easy guideline. Instead of saying nothing so high it would create a hazard, just not higher than the rv.

The breaker box issue is a no brainer and I cannot understand people trying to justify modifying them in any way.

That said, I agree with previous posters who say there is still ample opportunity for wonderful displays. We just have to be really creative. Also, let's make sure everyone who we hear is going in December decorates in some way. Collectively, more small displays may be nicer than a smaller number of huge displays. Also, if you are going early in the season, consider passing along decorations you can bear to part with or take extras to "share" while you are there. When we have gone in December to the All-stars, I have always passed on my Mickey wreaths to someone just arriving who commented on them.

This is hardly surprising news to those of us who have never been quite as ..... enamored .... by the tacky.

Not surprising, and certainly not unwelcome. THANKS Disney!!!!

I happen to like tacky, reck'n that just comes from my poor redneck upbringing :confused3.
My mother (rest her soul) would have loved see'n Disney's holiday decor, but she would have absolutely LOVED the tacky at the Fort.

But really, isn't tacky just in the mind of the beholder ?
So my question would be this : Does anyone every see anything (decor) that Disney does as being tacky ???
And if not, then does it mean that because Disney has endless amounts of money to spend on decor, is it the money that makes the difference in whats considered tacky ???

Sometimes less is more, I love to see the sites decorated BUT if people are messing with the electrical boxes that could be a fire hazard.

I can see the problem with guest using the common area adding more time to their lawn maintains crew and people using land that they are not paying for. I can’t believe people are messing with the electric boxes but I do believe it that’s just stupid

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter