Holiday Day Trip to NYC on a budget???

momsavealot

DIS Veteran
Hi there! We were thinking of taking the kids into NYC in December to experience the thrill of Christmas in the city. I remember it as a kid! We would be taking the train in and only stay for the day. I checked the Radio City Show and it's ridiculously expensive. Does anyone have any good budget ideas? I would like to see the window displays and I know that's free, right?? How much is ice skating? Any help would be great! Thanks!

You can skate for free at Bryant Park if you get there early. There is also a great "holiday fair" that takes place around the park.
Keep you eyes peeled because there were deals for the Grinch last year. So be open minded on the shows- personally I am not a fan of the Radio City show but that's just me. I think it is a rip off.

Oh and another skating option (besides Rockefeller center) is Wollman rink in Central Park. I think it is way better- bigger and more magical.

I'm not sure where you live and if this is an option for you.. (or if it would even save money) but from my city we can catch a bus to times square for 100 round trip per person if you buy your ticket in advance.... I think that might be cheaper than the train???

We are thinking of taking a day trip to NYC be on are those nice, big, comfy ones.. (think magical express) ... not greyhouse type buses... that way you can sleep on the way home late at night! (at least I would hope they are the nice buses)in January and if we do, we will probably use a bus. I think the buses that we would

Just google bus to NYC.... or check this website out to get yourself started (if you live in NY state):

http://www.trailwaysny.com/

You can definitely do NYC on a budget.

Yes, the window displays are free to view. That alone could take you all day. You can also visit the Disney Store, FAO Schwarz, and Toys R Us for free.

Skating costs a bit more, but it might be a fun splurge. At Rockefeller Center it's $19.50 for adults and $12.50 for children 11 and under. The price is for a 1 1/2 hour session. Skate rental is $9 Here's the link to the website: http://www.rapatina.com/iceRink/

Ice Skating at Central Park is going to be cheaper. It's $12 for adults and $5 for children 12 and under. Skate rental is $5 The website for the rink at Central Park is: http://www.wollmanskatingrink.com/main_wollman.htm

Have fun! I've been to NYC right before Thanksgiving as I was in the Macy's Parade one year, and it really is a magical time of year in the city.

Just looking at all the windows and seeing the Rockefeller Christmas Tree is an experience. Also you can stop at the Plaza Hotel and see how they've renovated it.

We go every Holiday season and we don't spend much other than the train ride (we're an hour away in Central Jersey) and the food. We love going to Lindy's because of the cheesecake but there are lots of cheaper cafes around.

This year we'll be going on Dec. 30th since that's when my older DD is doing her Rockette Experience class and then we're going to the American Girl Place Cafe as a treat for my younger DD for a late lunch. My DH is going to see if he can get tickets at TKTS for a show that night, if not we just love looking at the windows and just going to Times Square and watching the people.

NYC in the Holiday Season is so magical!!!

From Boston, we can take the Megabus to Penn Station for $15-20 ea way...we'll be doing that this season..it's my first in the Northeast and I, too, want to see Rockefeller and all the Xmas sights!

Also check out: www.seasonofsavings.com for on/off broadway and other events
The Sony Wonder Lab is free, but requires advance reservations: www.sonywondertechlab.com
And the New Victory Theater has great family oriented productions that are generally reasonably priced: newvictory.org
The Bronx Zoo has a "zoolight" display during the holidays: www.bronxzoo.com
The New York Botanical Garden has a great holiday train display: www.nybg.org

Sounds great so far! I definitely want to see some windows and the Tree. We live about 90 minutes away so we ususally drive some part and then take NJ Transit the rest. My kids love the train. The biggest question I have is where to eat with the kids. Any ideas?????

Not really the right season, but I went here for lunch with some kids who loved it.
Reminded me of the haunted mansion at Disney. Very interactive. Food was overpriced, bu you're getting the show too. I'm not sure if there are two locations, I thought it was closer to midtown.

http://www.jekyllpub.com/jekyllpub/index1.html

How about the Wintuk show at MSG? It 's a great family show and tickets are only 65 for mid range (I don't know how low the price goes) I went last year and will be there again on 11/22.

Has anyone been to the Sony Wonder Technology Lab? It's supposed to be free but you need reservations. Just wondering if it's any good b/c it doesn't seem to be far from midtown where I think we'll be concentrating our efforts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter