HoJo tips, tricks, reviews?

tdk316

Mouseketeer
Now that I've booked it, any advice about staying at the HoJo? We're in a family bunk bed suite next July and would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

There was an old, very long thread on this one, but an update would be good! I'm staying next week. Let's see.. For Building 1, the Kid's Suites, I have heard to ask for floors 2-6 near the elevator. The 7th floor has skylights and less sound-proofing. I like to take my own paper plates, cups, water, salt and pepper, and bowls, as well as plastic flatwear so we can eat leftovers and stuff from the giftshop in the room. Be sure and sign up for Mimi's emails 2 weeks before you go. Take quarters for the gameroom and laundry (which is in the basement). Some folks like to walk, we like the ART Shuttle. You can purchase almost anything in the Giftshop. I like to bring large trash bags, wine opener, oil and vinegar for salads, napkins, and that sort of thing. You will have tons of room to store everything! I would like to hear some tips too. Thanks.:cloud9:

Midnightred

There are Keurigs in the rooms now so if you have a particular K-Cup you like, buy them at home and bring them with you. They're $1/each for any flavor other than regular at the gift shop.

We had water and cases of pop delivered by Vons. They arrived while we were at the parks and bell services brought them up and put them in our room for us (we did not order anything that was cold so it didn't need to be put in the fridge, but I assume they would also do that).

We loved the skylights on the 7th floor but we are early risers so it didn't bother us to have light early in the morning... we just loved having all that light. My kids loved the game room and played air hockey almost every day. We ate at Mimi's Cafe several times, ordered Papa John's once, grabbed McDonald's on the way back to the hotel once (won't be doing that next trip because our kids won't eat McD's any more... teenagers!).

We usually crossed the street right in front of HoJo and then walked on Disneyland side of the street to reach the parks. It was much less crowded this way... but a little creepy at night. Stick together. My kids say that walking to Disneyland was the first time they remember seeing homeless people.

That kid suite is going to be huge! We had a room in Building 1, top floor and it more than fit our family of 5 in 2009. I refused to only have one bathroom this upcoming trip so we got the queen suite but I would have gone with a kid suite if the queen hadn't been available. Not the best sleeping arrangements for teens but we could add a rollaway and I know there would have been plenty of room to spread out.

We spent a week there in 2009 and will be going back next year. I have tons of pictures of our room and the grounds if anyone would like to see them.... just let me know.

We are booked in a kids suite for January at the HoJo. Loving all the tips so far! Keep em coming!

We take our own paper cups as the hojo cups taste really plastic-y when hot coffe or water is added, worse than any other hotel cups for some reason. Be aware that if you walk on the DL side of the street you have to squeeze past people lounging around the sidewalk waiting/loitering at the public bus stop.

During the day, the DL side of the street is fine. Sometimes there are people at the bus stop but most are just waiting for a bus. I once saw a guy who looked homeless but he didn't bother anyone. I've been bothered more by the nighttime street vendors on the other side of Harbor then I have people near the bus stop. That said, at night, I still opt to cross at the light and walk back to HoJos on the hotel side. It's more populated, better lit and does provide a certain feeling of safety over the DL side when it's dark out.

More tips. The water park area near the hot tub is a pretty good place to watch fireworks. Not as good as in the park or esplanade, but there's something to be said about soaking in a hot tub after a long day with a view of the fireworks. I'm not sure what the official pool hours are but there are always people lingering in the area between 9-10 PM when the fireworks are going. Most leave right after.

Glad someone mentioned the coffee cups, not sure what I will bring. A couple more tips: If you have a Park View room, try and get a floor as high up as you can, and one that is not obstructed by trees. Also, did you know they take checks anywhere from 10-30 days prior to your arrival? They will email you a receipt when they receive your check. If you want a King or Queen suite, you must call for the reservation, you can't do it online. There is only one of each of those. Buildings 3 and 4 don't have elevators and you have to carry stuff up I think. Many of the rooms do not have microwaves, just the deluxe if I'm not mistaken. Lots of people love building 2 with a Garden View.

Midnightred

Some photos...

A look at the pool near building 2:

6a00d8341c881553ef01901e33f9bd970b-pi

The air hockey table my kids loved so much:

6a00d8341c881553ef01901e33f9e3970b-pi

The lobby and building 1:

6a00d8341c881553ef01901e33fa01970b-pi

The water park area:

6a00d8341c881553ef01901e33f9f0970b-pi

Another look at the pool by building 2:

6a00d8341c881553ef01901e33f9b1970b-pi

The view of Disneyland at night from our room (top floor, center, building 1):

6a00d8341c881553ef01901e33f9e8970b-pi

Another look at the lobby and building 1. This was taken standing near Mimi's Cafe:

6a00d8341c881553ef01901e33f9de970b-pi

A look at how the roll away fit into our room. The door to the balcony was to the right of the rollaway:

6a00d8341c881553ef01901e33f9cc970b-pi

This was taken from near the door to the balcony. We were unpacking.

6a00d8341c881553ef01901e33f9fb970b-pi

A fun photo looking down from our balcony:

6a00d8341c881553ef01901e33f9c4970b-pi

Thanks for the replies! I didn't know about the K-cups so I'll be sure to pack those for DH and a coffee mug too.

We'll have a car (renting from LAX) any tips about grocery stores? When we were there in 2003 we drove from the Candy Cane to a Target and I remember that being a bit of a hike - is there something closer or is that it? I might also not be remembering right since I was pregnant at the time with my oldest and he sucked up a lot of my brain cells... ;)

If you have a car, there is a Von's a mile or two away. We stopped there on the way to the hotel to stock up for breakfast/snack stuff. I'm sure Google can find it for you since I don't exactly remember where it was.

Can confirm the road noise on the top floor was pretty loud. First night was hard to get to sleep. Nights after being in the park all day were no problem! And the skylight was fine for us east coasters, as we were up anyway.

All in all my family was really happy with the Kid's Suite and would stay there again.

Can anyone who has stayed in the kids suite tell me about the bunk beds...could an adult sleep in the bottom bunk? And what about the pull out bed/couch...is it comfortable or are you feeling the springs all night?

The bunk beds are full-sized twin beds, and are fine for an adult to sleep in. The only thing I noticed is that they can be a little sqeaky when the kids were moving around, getting settled in to sleep. O have heard that the chair is not comfortable to sleep in, maybe for a small child. You can get a rollaway for an extra fee (maybe $15 or $20 per night), and there is plenty of space to put that.

Midnightred

Can anyone who has stayed in the kids suite tell me about the bunk beds...could an adult sleep in the bottom bunk? And what about the pull out bed/couch...is it comfortable or are you feeling the springs all night?

I have slept in the bottom bunk but I'm short (5'-3"). I believe they are full length beds but keep in mind you are boxed in so it may feel smaller/more constrained.

We used the fold out couch once- it's twin size. We just moved the mattress to the floor and folded the bed base back up. Just keep in mind it takes up a lot of space.

we love Hojos and have stayed in the kids suite about 7 times in 2 years.

I have slept in the bottom bunk but I'm short (5'-3"). I believe they are full length beds but keep in mind you are boxed in so it may feel smaller/more constrained.

I also slept on a bottom bunk one of our nights in the Kids' Suite when the kids both decided to sleep in the King bed and I wasn't getting any rest. It was fine for me and I'm 5' 10".

Can you book the kid's suite on the disney website? When I try to book package only a standard room comes up.

Can you book the kid's suite on the disney website? When I try to book package only a standard room comes up.

In 2009, you could book the package and get the standard room, then call the hotel and upgrade to a better room, paying the difference. However, the management team has changed since then and I'm not sure if you can do this any longer. You'd need to call the hotel and ask.

I just upgraded by calling. I booked the room through Disney and then called to hotel to upgrade to a better room. This was for a booking next month.

The bunk beds are full-sized twin beds, and are fine for an adult to sleep in. The only thing I noticed is that they can be a little sqeaky when the kids were moving around, getting settled in to sleep. O have heard that the chair is not comfortable to sleep in, maybe for a small child. You can get a rollaway for an extra fee (maybe $15 or $20 per night), and there is plenty of space to put that.

Midnightred

Hi Everyone! These are great tips about our Kid Suites! Keep 'em coming! And BrerMama, LOVE the pictures!! :thumbsup2

If the twin pull out sofa, is not to your liking, we can have a rollway brought up to your room at no extra charge. We only charge the $15.00+17% tax per night, if you use both the rollway and sofa pull out.

HTH,

Kriss pirate:

Great pics, BrerMama! Makes me even more excited to go!!! Thanks for posting!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter