HoJo or Park Vue Inn?

JessL

Mouseketeer
I think I'm really posting this to organise my thoughts as much as for advice! I wish I was one of those people who just said "That hotel looks good, I'll book that", but I tend to overthink things.

Having looked at several options, I've narrowed my hotel choices for November to HoJo's or the Park Vue Inn. I've stayed at HoJo's before.

• Parking is not an issue. We won't have a car.
  • Price is an issue, but these are both in our range.
  • I can be picky about hotels. I like nice hotels with good service, but my main concerns are safety and cleanliness.
  • I assume we won't use the pool much in November, so don't need to factor that in. The boys did use the pool every day last time, but it was September.

HoJo's pros:
  • We loved it last time we stayed there. The beds were comfortable and the room was clean. There wasn't too much noise.
  • They have a central corridor which feels safer to me because my husband isn't coming on this trip, so it's just me and two kids.

HoJo's cons:
  • It is more expensive (I think - Park Vue Inn still haven't released their rates for November)
  • It's a longer walk.
  • Breakfast isn't included (not too big a deal - last time we bought cereal and fruit and had breakfast in our room)

PVI pros:
  • Closer to the parks.
  • Cheaper.
  • Breakfast included.

PVI cons:
  • Recent negative reviews about the noise level.
  • Sounds like breakfast can be chaotic on busy days.
  • Rooms open to the outside.
  • Something I can't put my finger on that's holding me back.
You know, everything would probably be solved if they would just relocated HoJo's closer to the park entrance. I think that's my only real stumbling block for them! Do you think they could do that for me? It felt like such a short walk in the mornings, but at least twice as long at night!

Anyone care to weigh in?

We have stayed many nights at the HOJO and honestly barely noticed the walk.

When you say you can be picky about hotels, I hear ya! However, the big difference between the HOJO and the PVI is the PVI is not a hotel, it is a motel. The rooms there open directly to the outside, which is something I have never been terribly fussy about. Many people here though have had great stays at the PVI so I am sure you will get some good advice. I find that HOJO is certainly not luxury accommodations but the one thing I have always found is it's spotless and the service is excellent. I think it's well priced for what you get. We love the Kids Suites there!

You've come to the right place though if you want to overthink anything!

Was just going to say, November can be warm still (especially the beginning). Don't rule out swimming!

I have stayed at both without any complaints.
Our last trip at PVI was June/July 2015. I was there with my daughter on my own for 3 nights. My husband joined us on the 4th. We felt safe. I never found the breakfast too busy either. The rooms were very clean and comfortable.
If I had to pick between the 2...I would pick PVI due to location alone.

We've stayed at PVI many times, most recently in Nov. and have not had any issues with noise or beds or anything else.
In fact it's nicer every time we stay there.

Last edited:
I vote for the HoJo. Very clean, great service, safe, and the pool area is great. Last November was very warm for the first half of the month, so swimming is a definite possiblity for your visit. I haven't heard many bad reviews about PVI, but the ones I have heard were very troubling, so that motel is not on my list for DLR.

I tend to be an over-analyzer as well, and when I have to pick a motel/hotel, especially with new places in the running, I am almost paralyzed with fear at picking the wrong one!

I'm a HUGE Park Vue fan. Granted, I haven't stayed at HoJo, but I've never had a reason that "sold" me on HoJo.

• Parking is not an issue. We won't have a car.
  • Price is an issue, but these are both in our range.
  • I can be picky about hotels. I like nice hotels with good service, but my main concerns are safety and cleanliness.
  • I assume we won't use the pool much in November, so don't need to factor that in. The boys did use the pool every day last time, but it was September.

You'd be surprised--some people will still use the pool in November! Last year was unseasonably warm, and many people used the pools! That being said, I imagine it's less of a draw to have the whole outdoor entertainment pools in November, as a whole!

HoJo's pros:
  • We loved it last time we stayed there. The beds were comfortable and the room was clean. There wasn't too much noise.
  • They have a central corridor which feels safer to me because my husband isn't coming on this trip, so it's just me and two kids.
While I can understand the feeling of an interior corridor seeming "safer," it's only as safe as everyone staying there... and people often prop up the outside door, which then could let anyone in. DD and I have stayed at multiple places on Harbor and Katella (me both with and without DD, and with and without DH), and never felt unsafe. Granted, I always use the deadbolt and the "flip over" lock... But an inside corridor at a hotel further from the hustle and bustle makes me more nervous that an door opening to the parking lot at a hotel in the middle of the chaos of the resort area.

HoJo's cons:
  • It is more expensive (I think - Park Vue Inn still haven't released their rates for November)
  • It's a longer walk.
  • Breakfast isn't included (not too big a deal - last time we bought cereal and fruit and had breakfast in our room)
None of these cons seem like deal-breakers in and of themselves. But, for my family, paying more money to stay further away just doesn't make sense. And while we don't always make full use of the hot breakfast, it's there if/when we want it, which can save us some serious money!

Being a mom with two children, I'd definitely value the shortest walk possible.

PVI pros:
  • Closer to the parks.
  • Cheaper.
  • Breakfast included.

PVI cons:
  • Recent negative reviews about the noise level.
  • Sounds like breakfast can be chaotic on busy days.
  • Rooms open to the outside.
  • Something I can't put my finger on that's holding me back.

Yes, it's closer. It's cheaper. It has a large breakfast. It was recently renovated (over the past 3 years). The beds are seriously comfortable. On my multiple stays, the only noise that's been bothersome is expected noise--it's Disneyland, and kids and families are excited to get to breakfast and then to the parks. Rooms open to the outside, but there's double locks, and a whole heck of a lot of people around (in general), so that seems pretty safe. Breakfast area can be pretty busy if you happen to get there an hour before park opening. If you plan to get there close to when they open the room, then it's really not a big rush in our experience.

You know, everything would probably be solved if they would just relocated HoJo's closer to the park entrance. I think that's my only real stumbling block for them! Do you think they could do that for me? It felt like such a short walk in the mornings, but at least twice as long at night!

Anyone care to weigh in?

I think you hit on a very true point with the walk to HoJo. In the morning, it's very quick. But at night, it seems to drag on! With Park Vue, you cross the street, and you are at the motel, and only have to walk to your room at that point, which you can almost see from where you enter the property.

Good luck on your decision!

I personally love HoJo, but what you say about the walk is true - after 12 hours in the park it does seem reeeeallly long. I wish they'd have a shuttle! However, their lovely big rooms, balconies and beds make up for it. Unfortunately on our next trip we are going somewhere with a shuttle as there are seniors in our party and they can't cope with the walk any more. Otherwise we'd be there in a flash.

I found PVI to be very clean and comfortable when we stayed there in November. While I'd still rather stay at GCH or DLH, my main reason for that is staying in the Disney bubble. Because, for the price, I was very satisfied with PVI. Especially when walking back at night. I have to admit I felt somewhat smug as our family crossed Harbor and started the short walk past the IHOP to our room when everyone around us was starting their long trudge up or down the street. The beds were clean and comfortable, the decor was simple but nice and I felt very safe. The only time I noticed any noise was when we left our room and met up with other families leaving for the park. The breakfast was just "okay," but adequate if you don't want to waste time in the valuable morning hours stopping to get breakfast in the parks. We will definitely use PVI as our go-to off-site hotel when the on-site hotels are just too pricey to justify (which they seem to be more and more these days).

I didnt see how old your kids are but we stayed at PVI and my kids 5&6 at the time would have died if they had to walk any further at night lol they loved the pool because it was deep and we really enjoyed the breakfast. The also loved the bunk beds!

I tend to be an over-analyzer as well, and when I have to pick a motel/hotel, especially with new places in the running, I am almost paralyzed with fear at picking the wrong one!

I so get what you mean. We booked the Fairfield Marriot and I've been 2nd guessing myself ever since!

Tripadvisor is a great help as well - a lot more people stay at either of these places and post reviews on there than will be able to give you first hand experience here!

I'm a huge fan of PVI. They have the most comfortable beds and rooms are a nice size. I also love the full breakfast, not just a few cereals and bread. I've never stayed at HOJO because I am tired at the end of the day and want the shortest walk possible. I find PVI nicer than the other options that have the shortest walking distance and are in the same price range.

I vote HOJO. My DH is notoriously a "super picky" guy when it comes to hotels, and he LOVED Hojo. He even researched the pillows and mattress topper because he was so comfortable sleeping! But, you already now that because you have stayed there. ;) Our boys are 6 & 7 and did fine on the walk back. And we were there the weekend before Thanksgiving and it was HOT and the boys LOVED playing in the pirate cove area. They did get a bit chilly after the sun started to go down. I think what won me over the most about Hojo is the customer service and the cleanliness. I think next time we stay, we will pick up muffins from Mimi's or Panera for breakfast the next day. I'm sure you will have a great time no matter what hotel you choose. Good luck!

I am a huge HOJO fan. For us its all about the pool (which we have used in Nov!), the beds, the interior corridors, size of the standard rooms and the ease of parking.

However, my in-laws have recently stayed at PVI and I trust their judgement so I would try PVI if there was a significant price difference that I couldn't overlook. They did say the rooms are smaller so that would have me a bit hesitant cause we travel heavy so the price difference would have to be a big one.

I vote HOJO. My DH is notoriously a "super picky" guy when it comes to hotels, and he LOVED Hojo. He even researched the pillows and mattress topper because he was so comfortable sleeping! But, you already now that because you have stayed there. ;) Our boys are 6 & 7 and did fine on the walk back. And we were there the weekend before Thanksgiving and it was HOT and the boys LOVED playing in the pirate cove area. They did get a bit chilly after the sun started to go down. I think what won me over the most about Hojo is the customer service and the cleanliness. I think next time we stay, we will pick up muffins from Mimi's or Panera for breakfast the next day. I'm sure you will have a great time no matter what hotel you choose. Good luck!

We always pick up some muffins at Mimi's for breakfast during our trip!

Another Hojo fan here. We like how large and clean the rooms are, and I prefer the interior corridors. We have always found the employees to be friendly and responsive to requests or concerns. We've stayed at Hojo over 30 times in the last 8 years. I haven't stayed at PVI.

I forgot to mention that I stayed at Hojo last year alone with my DS7 and felt totally safe at the hotel and on the walk back as well.

I've stayed at both, 4 of us ( incl. 2 teenagers), and I'd stay at PVI next time. The actual room/bed was nicer at Hojo, but that was about it. Pool areas were too noisy at Hojo, so when you factor in distance plus free ( good ) breakfast - NO BRAINER I say.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter