Hojo - No more wired internet

I kinda guessed that you were. HIPPA does not require a VPN for the transmission of data that includes patient information.

I'm Canadian and we actually have even more stringent rules - and some individual hospitals have even tighter security (I have contracts out the wazoo!) We can only transmit via fax with a current release from the patient, so even that is controlled.

However, this is just information that I had heard about, confirmed for myself today, and thought it would be good to pass it along in case it would affect other people (and I have to assume it does, since I personally have 80 people working for me and there are others out there). Having just been in a situation where I could not work out of town because of the unsecured network, this means - for me at least - I have to find somewhere else to stay.

I'm Canadian and we actually have even more stringent rules - and some individual hospitals have even tighter security (I have contracts out the wazoo!) We can only transmit via fax with a current release from the patient, so even that is controlled.

However, this is just information that I had heard about, confirmed for myself today, and thought it would be good to pass it along in case it would affect other people (and I have to assume it does, since I personally have 80 people working for me and there are others out there). Having just been in a situation where I could not work out of town because of the unsecured network, this means - for me at least - I have to find somewhere else to stay.

I had just noticed you are not in the states and I am glad you posted as such since it may affect others who do not want to get away from their jobs. After the y2k fiasco, and subsequent laws formulated that really do nothing to secure patient information. I apologize and I am sorry you have to deal with the information network insanity that has evolved.

Jack

I wasn't impressed with how I kept getting kicked off the wifi over and over and over. If I wanted to use it I had to continuously accept the rules and conditions then it would kick me off the site I was on. I just turned the wifi off on my iphone and used my 3g through AT&T instead.

If you can't connect to your computer to a WiFi network then you need to talk to your IT department and tell them that they are a bunch of morons. Plugging into a ethernet jack connected to a switch is no more secure than picking up a WiFi signal. You don't know who is in the next room or any room in the hotel who is also plugged into the same switch. Hardwired ethernet and WiFi are just different interfaces but they use the same tcp/ip protocol. Your VPN encryption is where all your security lies...

Think of it this way... picture WiFi as Interstate 5 (I5), Ethernet as Interstate 405 (I405), TCP/IP is your Volvo station wagon, and VPN encryption is the airbags in the car. You have a pretty safe car. If you were to get into an accident, would your car be safer on I5 or on I405? :confused3

;)

I'm not disputing the importance of a secure wired connection to the OP, but I was just wondering if wired connections are even very common anymore? I've stayed in quite a few hotels over the years and don't think I've seen a wired connection in at least three years. Seems like most places are wireless nowadays.

Your VPN encryption is where all your security lies...

Yes, and with an ultra secure VPN, you cannot connect without a secured network connection - not WiFi

I'm not disputing the importance of a secure wired connection to the OP, but I was just wondering if wired connections are even very common anymore? I've stayed in quite a few hotels over the years and don't think I've seen a wired connection in at least three years. Seems like most places are wireless nowadays.

Yes, they are common in most places. Most hotels I've stayed at have both wired and wireless. The wireless is usually free and a fee for the wired connection.

As far as hotels are concerned... wired connections are going the way of tube TV's.... Guess HoJo's gotta start somewhere! :laughing:

Yes, and with an ultra secure VPN, you cannot connect without a secured network connection - not WiFi
You are not going to get a secured network connection from a hotel ethernet cable anyways... Even the most secure 2 and 3 factor vpn clients should allow you to connect over WiFi. If your stuff is so that classified that you shouldn't/can't connect to it via a WiFi connected 2 factor VPN tunnel then it really shouldn't leave the SCIF. Health records (even those in Canada) don't need that much security.

Yes, they are common in most places. Most hotels I've stayed at have both wired and wireless. The wireless is usually free and a fee for the wired connection.

If I remember correctly the GCH still has wired.

Jack

You are not going to get a secured network connection from a hotel ethernet cable anyways... Even the most secure 2 and 3 factor vpn clients should allow you to connect over WiFi. If your stuff is so that classified that you shouldn't/can't connect to it via a WiFi connected 2 factor VPN tunnel then it really shouldn't leave the SCIF. Health records (even those in Canada) don't need that much security.

Thank you for your opinion, I'll take it for what it's worth ;)

Yes, GCH still has wired, same with Marriott and a few others (mostly a bit farther down the road, not the "motels" across the street).

I believe if the lady needs a wired connection and believes the bull her IT department is feeding her than she needs to stay where it works for her. A business I know sends medical records to Ottowa, all the time not thru a VPN and it does not violate Canada Law.?? I am just trying to understand.

Jack

I wasn't impressed with how I kept getting kicked off the wifi over and over and over. If I wanted to use it I had to continuously accept the rules and conditions then it would kick me off the site I was on. I just turned the wifi off on my iphone and used my 3g through AT&T instead.

Thanks! Good point - I'll change the terms of service to 24 hours.

Jonathan

Yes, it's me! Thanks, I've been around for years, but mostly behind the scenes. pirate:

J.

You need flat panel TV's in your rooms... The electricity it saves over tube TV's will pay for themselves in a year, after which you can pass the savings onto your customers! :thumbsup2

Good thing she has you to tell her how to do her job!! I'm sure she is very relieved now.

Geez Queenbillabong...you really should have thought of all of that.

Good thing she has you to tell her how to do her job!! I'm sure she is very relieved now.

Geez Queenbillabong...you really should have thought of all of that.

Just was tryin to point out that her IT department if feeding her lies is they telling her that wired is more secure than WiFi, and that she should talk to them to get it fixed, rather than getting pissed off at HoJo for following the rest of the world who adopts new(er) technology! ;)

Just was tryin to point out that her IT department if feeding her lies is they telling her that wired is more secure than WiFi, and that she should talk to them to get it fixed, rather than getting pissed off at HoJo for following the rest of the world who adopts new(er) technology! ;)

She's not in IT. She doesnt have say so over IT policies, but she is bound by them. It's not uncommon. Maybe you should start a consulting business educating IT staff so they know as much as you. In the mean time, she is just looking for a hotel room that can give her a wired connection so she can access her system per the parameters they have set up.

I don't see ANYWHERE in her post that she is "pissed off" at HoJo. Merely, she made the grave mistake of passing along information.

I don't see how removing an option for a group of people would be considered an upgrade - it's reducing the services/amenities offered. The placement of the modems was strange, but there were longer cords available at the front desk.

It is unfortunate and will affect some people. I for one am glad I confirmed this before staying there and being caught unaware of the recent change.

I don't see ANYWHERE in her post that she is "pissed off" at HoJo. Merely, she made the grave mistake of passing along information.

Maybe not "pissed off" but it sure sounds like she is complaining about them, at the very least, complaining about losing them as an option! ;)

Maybe not "pissed off" but it sure sounds like she is complaining about them, at the very least, complaining about losing them as an option! ;)

Honestly? Why do you care if she stays there or not? Are you a stockholder?

The HoJo is nice but I don't get its cult status here on the DIS. It's a hotel. There are lots of them in the area.

We all go to the place that suits our needs. The HoJo changed one of its amenities and no longer suits hers. She shared that information What is the big deal?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter