Hoho's- meh

In general, I wish people would stop trying to compare hotels outside reasonable walking distance with ones that are considered walkable. Let's face it, nobody is seeking out any of the close Harbor lodging options for their amenities. Far above all else, they are coveted due to their location and the only fair comparison is between each other, not some 4-star hotel near the convention center.

But, of course, once person's reasonable is another person's impossible. We stayed at Hilton Garden Inn and walked it all but one evening. It was slightly beyond reasonable, but it wasn't horrid at all. (we were following DH on a work trip and that was where he needed to be) We couldn't figure out the shuttle used by the hotel (3 different stories each time we asked) and had no interest in taking the Disneyland shuttle from the Disney parking lot when we weren't paying to park, so we walked.

Sometimes people are comparing hotels that they actually compare for trip purposes, not just trying to mess with ya. ;)

True, no room service, but Mimi's does have take out, and is literally right across the street. Their menu is diverse, and the food is excellent. Also, reasonably priced. We tend to stop for McD's, or that new pizza place, as well, on harbor blvd. that used to be in the former Quiznos, to take food back to our room, after a day trip to Disneyland, and the convenience store has a lot of snacks to choose from. There are also a lot of places that will deliver food directly to your room, such as pizza, Chinese, etc.

Mmm, Pizza Press... There's also Millie's on the way back.

Of course, those places require that you walk on the hotel side of the street, which I personally dislike doing. But if you're hungry there definitely are plenty of places to stop into! Last time we stayed at HoJo's we stopped at Millie's and got a huge salad and order of mac and cheese to share, and it really hit the spot. (for whatever reason, Mimi's, doesn't really do it for us)

The only thing is now I am thinking I want to try the Grand Californian for proximity, and to try out a different type of Disney experience, so I am uncertain what we will do next time.

This was my experience with the Grand. Our room was just about the second furthest-away room you can get. I mapped it using mapmyrun, and to get from our room to the center of the esplanade was the same distance as going from the sidewalk outside HoJos to the same spot in the esplanade. It was MADDENING. It was a DTD view room and first we had to walk all the way back down the corridor parallel to DTD but going back towards DLH, then the elevators, then allll the way back, backtracking to what we had done upstairs. (to get to Disneyland...obviously if you're heading to the parts of DCA easily accessible by the entrance through the Grand you wouldn't follow these "directions") If we had been one wing over we could have at least gone down the stairs into DTD, but we were back one wing with no DTD exit.

Just want you to temper your thoughts on how close you could potentially be. Because, just like $99 makes HoJo super-worth it but $169 isn't a value, walking that distance from HoJo for $169 feels far more worth it than walking that distance paying $300+ a night at the Grand.

I liked hojos when I paid the entertainment rate years ago too. Last year I booked a room and double checked that it was two rooms, sleeps the 7 in our party. When I checked in it was a regular room with 2 beds. I went back to the lobby and the only thing the girl in the front offered to do was bring in a roll away bed. She said the people answering the phones don't always have the right details. There was no way I was squeezing 4 adults and 3 kids in one room and so we ended up booking another night at the desert inn and we lost hours worth of time in the process.

With HoJo if you're calling the hotel you have to call the Anaheim hotel directly, and during Pacific coast business hours. (don't forget their lunch break) If you booked through the 800 number or checked through that, or called during a time that you would be shunted to the 800 number (and some years back I had an 800# person lie to me and maintain the lie that she was at the hotel until I spelled out my question "are you sitting in the hotel in Anaheim?" and she couldn't figure out how to lie to that one). And no, the 800# people don't truly know the hotel.

But it's odd that you booked something that you thought was 2 rooms and would accommodate 7 (you put 7 into the form?), but it was just a 2-doubles room.

Now to answer some of my thin skinned critics.:rolleyes1 ...

Sorry I opened this can of worms but it is my opinion and I just wanted to let people now not everyone loves "hoho's":laughing:

It was just a rhetorical comment. I wasn't really expecting anyone to carry me out and burn me at the stake. These boards are very friendly and very very helpful. I have received many helpful hints and answers to many annoying questions. I just know how loved that hotel is on these boards and I thought another viewpoint might be nice.

You apologized and this isn't an angry reply but... The first post of a thread sets the tone. If you start a thread saying "don't flame me", it changes the whole tone of it. It makes any normal disagreement or other opinion FEEL like some might take it as a flame. When a normal disagreement or other opinion isn't a flame at all.

Like the other poster said, a flame involves name-calling, and no one here did that but you. :(

My mom used to say "words are things", and so if you use words that feel like you're anticipating a flaming, it really does change things. If you didn't mean it, no point in using the words, IMO.

I personally like Anabella FAR more than HoJo. And while you don't get the Disney music you can hear while walking along the park side of Harbor, visually the walk between PPH and the Grand is far more pleasant.

But...some people (especially when put in the far back building) have had negative experiences there!

I absolutely agree with this. They likely won't be available at check in.

Thanks guys, I'll try contacting them through Facebook or by email later today. They are good about social media and I appreciate the fact that my last couple of questions posted to their facebook page were answered promptly. :thumbsup2

Read some of the reviews on Trip Advisor for the hotels/motels on Harbor. Candy Cane Inn fares well along with HoJo, but many reviews mention bed bugs including Fairfield. :eek: So for my upcoming trip, I am looking for a place where this is not mentioned and hopefully is a rare occurrence. There may be cheaper places, but you may get some friends to take home with you.

I'd suggest upgrading in advance, like now, and not waiting until you get there as that room type might be long booked up before you arrive.

Agree. Try and do it now. they are usually pretty booked and you may not get what you want.

I've just this minute contacted them through facebook asking about the hows of an upgrade. I'll post back my results as an FYI to other future guests of the hotel. I currently have a ROH booked through a tour company so I'm not sure if that counts as STD or what. Judging by their own website and expedia I'm hoping it doesn't cost me much more than $30/nt to upgrade to premium.
I've seem some really nice photos from tripadvisor of rooms facing DCA and/or the matterhorn and they look great! I'm a little concerned about street noise though but there don't seem to be too many complaints from those that have stayed in Tower 1 before. :wizard:

Wow, I'm extremely impressed with Hojo's customer service and turn around time. My facebook message was answered quickly and my follow up email was answered in 5 minutes no word of a lie . :thumbsup2

They gave me a list of the various room types available and the cost to upgrade per night.
I'll consult with DH but I feel that we will be upgrading for sure.

The room category is 'NQQ1' which I think(hope?) means Premium.

I have to confirm with DH but for those that have stayed at the Hojo are the Premium rooms noisy and do you remember your room #s? Thanks so much :)

I just wanted to agree about the terrific customer service I have had directly with the Disney HoJo. I booked a kids suite room through Expedia, but then realized I could get a AAA discount. So I called HoJo to find out if I could rebook with them, so I could get the discount. I was worried if I canceled my Expedia reservation, the kids suite would be gone before I could rebook because I knew they were sold out for the dates I needed. Long story short, the woman agreed to "double book" the kids suite under my name, so I could get the reservation before canceling my Expedia reservation. Every time I have called (we have several upcoming reservations that I have ended up either canceling due to change of plans or tweeking) I have always had a great experience.

I too have to agree on the customer service. Our first year I called as the kids suites were all booked up - but I saw that they were available for a portion of our stay, the local staff were able to book me in for all but 1 of our nights in a kids suites and then eventually that night opened up so we did not have to switch rooms.

I have since booked well in advance but often have had to amend by a few days here or there and they have been great at getting right back to you.

That is something you can not renovate - the most beautiful hotel, if it has lousy customer service - can leave you feeling far worse than an average hotel with excellent service.

Another thing I like about Hojo's is that they will accept a check for payment 30 days prior to your reservation, but no later than 10 days before you arrive. It's nice to be able to check into your room and get you key without worrying about your CC being charged at the very end of your trip.

Midnightred

Done and done!

Took my credit card for the upgrade but nothing is charged until check in. Premium room, NQQ1 confirmed!

I also checked and they have no problem holding a Vons delivery for me even with liquor. Our flight arrives quite early and this way even if my room isn't ready my order can still be delivered and no worries about hanging around the hotel to accept it. Brilliant! :love::goodvibes

Another thing I like about Hojo's is that they will accept a check for payment 30 days prior to your reservation, but no later than 10 days before you arrive. It's nice to be able to check into your room and get you key without worrying about your CC being charged at the very end of your trip.

Midnightred

Do you get some sort of discount for paying in advance? Not quite sure what the incentive is to pay by cheque rather than credit card? I put almost everything on my credit card as I average about 3% back so maybe that is just my perspective.

People are entitled to any opinion they have about hotels! Goodness, what works for one family won't for another. That's just a given.

sherilaine said:
Do you get some sort of discount for paying in advance? Not quite sure what the incentive is to pay by cheque rather than credit card? I put almost everything on my credit card as I average about 3% back so maybe that is just my perspective.

I paid in advance (2mos I believe) by check in 2012 and no there wasn't a discount. For me, I did it so it would be paid and taken care of. One less thing to pay for while on vacation.

With HoJo if you're calling the hotel you have to call the Anaheim hotel directly, and during Pacific coast business hours. (don't forget their lunch break) If you booked through the 800 number or checked through that, or called during a time that you would be shunted to the 800 number (and some years back I had an 800# person lie to me and maintain the lie that she was at the hotel until I spelled out my question "are you sitting in the hotel in Anaheim?" and she couldn't figure out how to lie to that one). And no, the 800# people don't truly know the hotel.

But it's odd that you booked something that you thought was 2 rooms and would accommodate 7 (you put 7 into the form?), but it was just a 2-doubles room.

!

I made the reservation over the phone. I was adding a day to our stay as my kids really wanted to swim. I'm not sure what number I called, I googled it and it was about 10am pst. I was very clear on needing to sleep 7 and 2 rooms since if they didn't have availability I would have added a day at the desert inn instead of checking out. To be honest the thing the bothered me the most was her only offering a roll away bed (I'm pretty sure thats against code) and that what happened to us wasn't uncommon. I definitely didn't feel a sense of good customer service. It was more of an "oops again, too bad for you''.

I made the reservation over the phone. I was adding a day to our stay as my kids really wanted to swim. I'm not sure what number I called, I googled it and it was about 10am pst. I was very clear on needing to sleep 7 and 2 rooms since if they didn't have availability I would have added a day at the desert inn instead of checking out. To be honest the thing the bothered me the most was her only offering a roll away bed (I'm pretty sure thats against code) and that what happened to us wasn't uncommon. I definitely didn't feel a sense of good customer service. It was more of an "oops again, too bad for you''.

I can't see how they would have booked you one room for 7 people period - the maximum number of people for ANY room in their hotel is 5 - this is displayed on the room category descriptions on their website.

That would certainly be an unpleasant experience for sure! They certainly should have corrected that and offered you a second room.

I haven't read the whole post hojos was fine at 69-99 a night for et rate, but since they have been so mean and changed there rules and it seems they are charging way more than before. I don't think id stay there again. I am sorry OP that you are feeling flamed and I do see some points to the original post, but i also can see why you thought you'd be flamed. yes HOJOs is a fav on these boards so i could see why you might think ppl might flame you. I do think the post needs to get calmed down again and get back to the friendly stuff. This site is very friendly you just have to remember every one has an opinion.

There was nothing 'flaming' in this thread no worries on that front. The OP preemptively said no flaming but by and large the replies have all been civil.

As far as prices go, another person listed some rates for nearby hotels. The old quoted prices for the Hojo don't even apply to other hotels within walking distance anymore. Most of the hotels in the area average about $110-120/nt especially if you want walking distance. Everything seems to be expensive.

I can't see how they would have booked you one room for 7 people period - the maximum number of people for ANY room in their hotel is 5 - this is displayed on the room category descriptions on their website.

That would certainly be an unpleasant experience for sure! They certainly should have corrected that and offered you a second room.[/QUO

I was equally surprised. They had no problem with all 7 of us sleeping in the room since when we checked in and when we came back down their only suggestion was a roll away bed.

I'm not going to read through this whole thread, but want to offer a big AMEN to the OP. I've always been surprised at how much praise the HoJo got when reading this board. I stayed one night and it felt dirty, dark, and loud.

I see many raves regarding the kids' suites, but they are all located in Building 1 on the freeway side. Is it too loud in the rooms if you are a lite sleeper?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter