Hoho's- meh

I liked hojos when I paid the entertainment rate years ago too. Last year I booked a room and double checked that it was two rooms, sleeps the 7 in our party. When I checked in it was a regular room with 2 beds. I went back to the lobby and the only thing the girl in the front offered to do was bring in a roll away bed. She said the people answering the phones don't always have the right details. There was no way I was squeezing 4 adults and 3 kids in one room and so we ended up booking another night at the desert inn and we lost hours worth of time in the process.

AMEN!!!

The whole "I know I'll be flamed..." preemptive strike is very off putting. A discussion where people disagree is not flaming.

I didn't say ANYONE was flaming. I'm prepared for it.

I think his point is the term "flaming" is defined as personally attacking someone in a vicious manner. It would have been kinder if you had said in your OP, "I'm prepared for many to disagree with me..." It wouldn't be so inflammatory. Instead, you assume DISboarders who disagree with you are going to take the offensive to personally attack you. I have yet to see any flaming on this board--folks may have strong opinions but it's not risen the negative intensity on other boards.

Now to answer some of my thin skinned critics.:rolleyes1 I said I didn't want to stay there but my daughter who was flying in from Austin did. As to the room size, I booked on the phone as I called to see if I could get the kid's suite. She said no and how about two connecting rooms instead. I said o.k. she couldn't tell me what they were until we checked in. My daughter arrived first and checked in. Everyone is entitled to love their favorite hotel, I just feel there should be room for another opinion.:confused3 I don't think the hotel is all it's cracked up to be. As to keeping the 60's style......please, the 60's style had nothing going for it in the 60's!:) Almost all hotels including the DLH have updated their hotel, grounds, and rooms. The shuttle costs $4.00 a person doesn't it? That adds up with 7 people.

Sorry I opened this can of worms but it is my opinion and I just wanted to let people now not everyone loves "hoho's":laughing:

Now to answer some of my thin skinned critics.:rolleyes1 I said I didn't want to stay there but my daughter who was flying in from Austin did. As to the room size, I booked on the phone as I called to see if I could get the kid's suite. She said no and how about two connecting rooms instead. I said o.k. she couldn't tell me what they were until we checked in. My daughter arrived first and checked in. Everyone is entitled to love their favorite hotel, I just feel there should be room for another opinion.:confused3 I don't think the hotel is all it's cracked up to be. As to keeping the 60's style......please, the 60's style had nothing going for it in the 60's!:) Almost all hotels including the DLH have updated their hotel, grounds, and rooms. The shuttle costs $4.00 a person doesn't it? That adds up with 7 people. Sorry I opened this can of worms but it is my opinion and I just wanted to let people now not everyone loves "hoho's":laughing:

Wow, you don't want to be flamed, but start with the name calling?!

Nobody said you aren't allowed to your opinion, but if you noticed other people asked for advice who have upcoming trips. Many of us were offering a different opinion based on what we've experienced there. And just because some of us disagree with you, we shouldn't comment? And you are incorrect in your information - Hojo's HAS updated all of their rooms. All got new bedding/mattresses as well as other updates. I have to be honest though, your view doesn't surprise me - reading the majority of your posts leads to me feel like you're a glass half empty type of person.

My opinion is a different one then 90% of the people on here who love Hojo's. Sorry you felt I was name-calling. I'm anything but a glass hall full person, but I do admit going in with a prejudice against the hotel. I hoped maybe I was mistaken last time. As I said, if it was cheaper I would have no problem. They are charging high prices for a mid range hotel. I am just saying you can get a lot better deals at nicer hotels. I will stop responding as it is getting a bit nasty.

Of course you couldn't say anyone WAS flaming since it was the first post of the thread. You didn't give anyone a chance. Plus, I can possibly count on one hand the times I've seen actual flaming in the Disneyland section of the comments. There are a wide variety of opinions and quite often people do not agree with each other, but it rarely gets heated to the level I would consider flaming. So there really was no need to even suggest you'll get flamed at all. It didn't happen in your prior posts on the Hojos topic, so why would it happen here. All you were doing is stating your opinion which I believe everyone for the most part respects even when they disagree.

It was just a rhetorical comment. I wasn't really expecting anyone to carry me out and burn me at the stake. These boards are very friendly and very very helpful. I have received many helpful hints and answers to many annoying questions. I just know how loved that hotel is on these boards and I thought another viewpoint might be nice.

It was just a rhetorical comment. I wasn't really expecting anyone to carry me out and burn me at the stake. These boards are very friendly and very very helpful. I have received many helpful hints and answers to many annoying questions. I just know how loved that hotel is on these boards and I thought another viewpoint might be nice.

And it is. And some people agreed with you. So why take it to place where you called the dissenters thin skinned? We're not allowed to offer a differing opinion. Nobody took your opinion personally; we were just offering an alternate perspective.

My opinion is a different one then 90% of the people on here who love Hojo's. Sorry you felt I was name-calling. I'm anything but a glass hall full person, but I do admit going in with a prejudice against the hotel. I hoped maybe I was mistaken last time. As I said, if it was cheaper I would have no problem. They are charging high prices for a mid range hotel. I am just saying you can get a lot better deals at nicer hotels. I will stop responding as it is getting a bit nasty.

Maybe it's too late and you will not respond, but I wonder if you've stayed at any of the other properties on Harbor? You are correct, they are charging high prices for a mid-range hotel. Borderline low-range hotel to some. But there are a lot of dumpy properties doing the same thing right next door. The proximity to the park is a huge factor in the price you pay so comparing these places to something down the road that is less accessible to the park is an apples and oranges comparison in my opinion.

I do think they are a tad higher than they should be but if people will pay it, so be it. I also think those who bemoan the new prices compared to the old Entertainment rate are not based in reality since nobody is charging anywhere near those rates anymore so it's pointless to use it as a frame of reference.

It is nice and there are a lot of people who agree with your opinion and voice the same complaints whenever the Hojos question comes up. You're certainly not alone here at all.

I also think those who bemoan the new prices compared to the old Entertainment rate are not based in reality since nobody is charging anywhere near those rates anymore so it's pointless to use it as a frame of reference.

As i mentioned, I thought they were a great value at the old entertainment rate. I would have not paid $50/night more for candy cane back then. (I usually stay 4 or 5 nights). However, I do not think they are worth $40/night more than candy cane now. Maybe I did not read carefully, but I felt you were singling me out since I may have been the only one in the thread that mentioned the entertainment rate? I am not "bemoaning" anything. They simply are not worth what they are charging, in my opinion. Nice hotel, but better deals closer to the gate are out there. I am glad I have had the chance to stay here and other places to form an opinion.

I will apologize again for the rude comment. I do have trouble knowing when to shut up.:mic:

oumagic said:
As i mentioned, I thought they were a great value at the old entertainment rate. I would have not paid $50/night more for candy cane back then. (I usually stay 4 or 5 nights). However, I do not think they are worth $40/night more than candy cane now. Maybe I did not read carefully, but I felt you were singling me out since I may have been the only one in the thread that mentioned the entertainment rate? I am not "bemoaning" anything. They simply are not worth what they are charging, in my opinion. Nice hotel, but better deals closer to the gate are out there. I am glad I have had the chance to stay here and other places to form an opinion.

No, I wasn't speaking to anyone directly. It was just a general statement. I think it's hard for some to stomach paying $150+ for a room they once got for $59 so they dismiss Hojos as overpriced. Heck, even when the Entertainment rate was still offered , people would complain about the standard rates which were around $100 or so because they couldn't justify the price difference. Yes, the Entertainment rate was a great value back when it was available. So are the email rates they send out every so often today. What's relevant however is what is available when you're booking your trip, not something available three or four years ago.

No, I wasn't speaking to anyone directly. It was just a general statement. I think it's hard for some to stomach paying $150+ for a room they once got for $59 so they dismiss Hojos as overpriced. Heck, even when the Entertainment rate was still offered , people would complain about the standard rates which were around $100 or so because they couldn't justify the price difference. Yes, the Entertainment rate was a great value back when it was available. So are the email rates they send out every so often today. What's relevant however is what is available when you're booking your trip, not something available three or four years ago.

:thumbsup2

I completely agree. I got curious so I looked at some of the other places along Harbour - as I honestly don't consider stuff on Katella or the west side of DLR as being "across the street".

Mid October - Monday to Friday
2 Queen bed room
no discount of any kind

Fairfield $179
DI&S $79
Camelot $131
Ramada Maingate $158
BWPPI $179
Park Vue $150
Tropicana $119
HOJO $169

As I mentioned, this is book rate - not any kind of discount and there are discounts to be found and deals offered for all of these places - HOJO does have 50% off certain dates but I think we are seeing less and less of these deals because they do not need to offer them - they simply book up as DLR is busier than it used to be.

Reading those prices makes me realize that the Hojo isn’t super expensive compared to other similarly classed properties in the immediate area. The biggest downside is the lack of room service at the Hojo’s because I got spoiled sipping beer and eating snacks beside the pool at the Sheraton.
I’m staying for my first time at the Hojo’s in 90+ days and counting so I’ll report back my impressions then.

I will be upgrading my room either in advance or on day of arrival as I would really like a Disney view and it’s my anniversary so I’m going to splurge. The view room is less important when there aren’t fireworks every day but I want to be able to sit on a balcony and look out of the Park at night. :cheer2:
I’m taking all the room tips into consideration when making my request to the hotel so this thread has been very helpful :)

We stayed at the HoJo a couple of times and always liked it. The grounds are prettier and the pool nicer than many of the other hotels on that same block. We never had a problem leaving our car parked in their lot past check out time if we wanted to stay the day at Disneyland.

However, we realized that we were really only using our hotel for sleeping and showering. So we switched our "off property hotel of choice" to the Best Western Park Place Inn and Mini Suites. Yes, it's pricier and I've always had to move my car after check out. The pool is lame but we weren't planning on using it anyway. And you get the free breakfast buffet (which is not fancy but FREE).

But, if you want to be able to walk to the parks AND have a fun pool, I'd go with the HoJo.

I will be upgrading my room either in advance or on day of arrival as I would really like a Disney view and it’s my anniversary so I’m going to splurge. The view room is less important when there aren’t fireworks every day but I want to be able to sit on a balcony and look out of the Park at night. :cheer2:
I’m taking all the room tips into consideration when making my request to the hotel so this thread has been very helpful :)

I'd suggest upgrading in advance, like now, and not waiting until you get there as that room type might be long booked up before you arrive.

You are right that it just depends what rates are during your planned visit. My July dates the HoJo is $205 and most others in the area sit at $150-170. If the October rates were my rates, I would not think they are way overpriced.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter