Hockey Pockety Wockety Wack A Tale of A Trip from the Back of the Pack

Oh my goodness, Crissy! I was riveted to this last update!!! So suspenseful, and I am just so thrilled that you kept going and didn't succomb to the bus! I don't think I would have been that determined! :goodvibes

The fiber art camp sounds like so much fun! Years ago I was able to try drop spinning and loved it! But everything that you've listed sounds like it'd be great, I'm so excited for you!!! Feel better! :goodvibes

First, I hope you feel better soon. :hug:

Second, I am so excited for you about this art camp!!! You know I have a BFA in Painting, right? So any time one of my friends wants to explore their creativity, I am all for it. It is rejuvenating, it is healing, it will be wonderful for you.

Oh my goodness, Crissy! I was riveted to this last update!!! So suspenseful, and I am just so thrilled that you kept going and didn't succomb to the bus! I don't think I would have been that determined! :goodvibes

I so wanted to hop on that bus! I'd say for at least the next mile or so I was a bit ticked with myself for not just getting on it. :rotfl: All I kept feeling was that stupid pebble.

The fiber art camp sounds like so much fun! Years ago I was able to try drop spinning and loved it! But everything that you've listed sounds like it'd be great, I'm so excited for you!!! Feel better! :goodvibes

I've been wanting to try drop spinning for the longest time. Someone gave me one ages ago, and I have no clue how to use it. Of course, a new hobby can be really dangerous for me. My home is already over-run with balls of yarn, adding roving to it could be really scary.

First, I hope you feel better soon. :hug:

Second, I am so excited for you about this art camp!!! You know I have a BFA in Painting, right? So any time one of my friends wants to explore their creativity, I am all for it. It is rejuvenating, it is healing, it will be wonderful for you.

Thanks! I'm feeling a bit better today. Throat isn't quite as sore. Made it back to work at least.

I'm really excited about this camp too. I love that you got your degree is something so creative! Honestly, I really have a limited amount of artistic ability, but I've always loved to play around with art. Last year they had one painting class in the spring session, and I had really been hoping for one this year. Sadly, they kept this year much more focused on the fiber arts. I've been really tempted to sign up for the fall session so I could play with paint anyways. I'll probably stay with the spring, for a few reasons the biggest being that I'm going to need a vacation sooner than September, and I don't want to chance being the one art newbie at the camp.

Happily, even at the spring session there are enough things to let me learn some new skills. I'm really hoping I get into the embroidery/photography class and I'm probably most looking forward to the printing class. The description says it uses the natural beauty and surroundings of the lake to provide inspiration to create stencils to print on fabrics. I'll have to draw! A bit scary for me, but I can't wait to try.

If I love it, I may look at the fall session next year. They have a lot of writing and photography classes at that one that look great too.

When we last left off, I had barely made it past the mile 9 time check, had a pebble in my shoe, was needing to use a bathroom desperately, and was feeling kind of sick to my stomach over Mountain Berry Clif Shot Bloks. (It still makes me quesy just thinking about it!)

But I was still out there, still pushing on. I remember trying to force my brain to ignore those things, and just focus on moving with as much speed as possible. I was beginning to question my ipod-less choice. The stretches of highway weren't terribly exciting, and there wasn't any entertainment going on in the middle of the roads any longer. I don't know if they had already started clearing out, or if there had never been any. Nevertheless, it was getting a bit tedious. I was getting tempted to dig out the ipod for a bit of extra push.

Luckily shortly after the mile 9 pick up spot the course turned into the Hollywood Studios. :lovestrucThe site of it made me so happy. Stuff to look at! I hadn't really studied the course map very well before the race, but I knew that I'd be spending a good deal of time inside of DHS. Just about 3 miles as it turned out.

WandD-half-marathon-coursemgm_opt.jpg

Sorry again about the picture quality!

We entered in through a backstage entrance right behind the Tower of Terror. I don't know if I've ever been so happy to see my favorite ride! For me it was a welcoming beacon that maybe I could do this. There were a few cast members around trying to cheer as much as they could for the little group of rag-tag racers. I appreciated every one of them that were still there at that ungodly hour of the morning. I know that most of them would have preferred to have been anywhere else.

After passing by the Tower we headed up Sunset Boulevard towards the hat. I'd wave to the cast members out on the road and tried to say thanks. I don't know if I can ever express how good it felt to have even a few people out there rooting for me. I don't know why, but it really helped. I was curious about the time, but kept going keeping one eye for the someone coming to pull me off of the course. When we had entered the park I had seen the cops on bikes, but they had disappeared, and for the most part it was just the last of the racers and the CM's.

Just after passing the hat was mile marker 10. My mind was just focusing on the 3.1 miles left. 3.1, 3.1 kept going over and over again in my brain. I kept telling myself I could do 3.1 miles no sweat. I'd done 3.1 miles on joy walks. I reminded myself I had completed 10 miles. After that 3 was nothing, right?

The photographers were still out at DHS, and one of them managed to snap this pretty horrid picture of me. Obviously I have no skill at all at drinking water and gatoraid while moving. I think most of it ended up all over me as the race went on.

61032-754-031f_opt.jpg

Passing the mile 10 marker I made my way past Echo Lake and Sounds Dangerous where Darth Vader was out for pictures. I did see one woman stop, but for the most part everyone around me kept moving along and just waved. We made our way around and were now heading down Pixar Place and Mickey Avenue towards the animation courtyard. We hooked to the left and were now running along the road where the backlot tram usually runs. It was kind of cool getting to really take a peak in the windows of the costume and building departments as we went along. There was a water station and perhaps most oddly a man out there cooking. I guess it was to tie in the Wine and Dine part, but it wasn't as if he was cooking for people to eat at they ran by. It just struck me as really odd.

The other runners around me were all starting to look familiar at this point. I'd pass one of them, and then in a few minutes they'd pass me. There was beginning to form a bit of kinship back there at the back of the pack. No real talking was going on, but we'd all smile and nod at each other as we passed close to each other. That would grow as we got closer to the finish line.

We then actually ran through the Lights! Motors! Action! set which was a bit surreal before coming up on mile 11.

11 Miles! I had run/walked 11 miles!

My mindset was beginning to change drastically at this point. 2.1 miles to go. I could do that. The tiredness started to slip away a bit, and I my pace was beginning to pick up. Where just moments before I was dragging along, I was beginning to get infused with a second wind. It was just about at this moment that I turned the corner and found myself running down the streets of America. I was surprised to find all the Osborne lights turned on, a bit of snow falling and Christmas music playing. The lights felt just as magical as when I saw them the first time the previous December when I was feeling cranky and miserable. This time I was running down the street with the lights and on having it nearly all to myself. In those moments the other runners slipped away, and my eyes started to get misty. I remembered why it was I was doing this crazy thing in the first place. All those emotions came flooding back to me as I passed under all those twinkling lights. All the memories of myself telling myself I couldn't do something, and giving up without really trying. They were all waiting for me on that street.

I know this sounds crazy, but at that moment I knew I'd do this. It'd get the the finish line no matter what. For me that moment was a pure pixie dusted moment. Just me, the lights, and my thoughts keeping me going. My only disappointment at this moment was with the race photographer. Just about as soon as I came down the street, he started messing with his camera changing the film or something. I tried to slow down, because I really wanted that moment captured on film, but to no avail. As I passed him and left the streets of America he was still messing around with him camera. Maybe it's just as well. I might not have a photograph of that moment, but it's wonderfully vivid in my mind. That's really were it should be anyways. Those lights will always be magical for me. :wizard:

After that we passed by Star Wars, and around the back of the Indiana Jones stunt show. Darth Vader was long gone, and it was the last few runners plugging along. We looped around and before I knew it we were passing out under the Xanadu entrance. (Does anyone else thing that every time they are at DHS? Maybe I've just seen that movie too many times. :rotfl:) We were at mile 12 before I knew it, passing by it as we made our way by the Boardwalk Inn. There were a few more people out and about cheering for us now. I don't know why they were out there, but there were people out and about.

The last of us back of the packers were beginning to joke around now as we made our way along side the canal heading towards the Yact and Beach Club. We joked about gators coming up out of the canal and what damage we would do to anyone who tried to pull us off the course now. There were a wonderful bunch of people back there with me, and I'm greatful for everyone of them, because in their own way they were really helping give me the strength to keep going. There were two groups I found really inspirational as I was walking that last mile. Right near me was a mother and daughter. The daughter had to be about my age, and her mother had to be between 60 and 70 years old. The mother was hanging onto the daughters arm, letting her lead her to the finish line. They were right behind me at the end. Right at the very end I passed by three women, one of who as crying she couldn't take another step. The other two had her arms and were telling her she was mere yards from the finish line. The woman was besides herself saying she just couldn't do it. It was a bit heartbreaking. I checked the pictures later when they were posted, against the final results and was happy to see that she had mustered up the strength to finish. If you couldn't find inspiration in that last mile, you weren't going to be able to find it. Like me, this race was huge for these people. They were all gutting it out winding around the lake towards the back entrance of Epcot, watching other runners already leaving the party heading back to their rooms. In those moments I was happy to be there with all of them.

Myself, I was feeling energized that last mile. Maybe it's because I knew the finish line was getting really close, but I felt wonderful. Better than I had for miles. I actually started to run again. I was going to do it! Suddenly I didn't care about that stupid pebble. The bathroom could wait, and the aches in my back weren't quite as bad as I had been thinking.

I turned the corner into the back entrance at the Millenium building at Epcot and saw Mickey and Minnie up ahead. Surely there couldn't be a better sight!

61032-731-009f_opt.jpg

After the horrid picture they took of me crossing the line at my 10k race earlier in the year, I was determined to look as happy and perky as I could muster for my crossing the finish line picture. I actually really love the picture they took of me. Oddly enough I thought finishing would have made me cry, but I didn't. I just felt happy. Pure joy. :banana:

61032-234-028f_opt.jpg

Once I crossed the finish line all I was looking for was my medal. I had complete tunnel vision. First I passed the medical tent, which was swarming with people. I turned around a corner, and still no medal. They were giving up bags of snack items and bottles of water. I was beginning to panic thinking that because I had taken longer than the alloted time (true to my training I averaged about a 17 min. mile pace) that they weren't going to give me a medal. Seriously I would have started having a bit of a breakdown. Luckily I turned the corner and there was a CM putting a beautiful medal around my neck.

half-marathon-medal_opt.jpg

Quite seriously it was one of the happiest moments of my life. All of the horrible moments of the race started to slip away. They they sent me off to have my pictures taken with my beautiful medal!

61032-131-001f_opt.jpg

Race done, now I just wanted to sit, but first I had to hunt down my friend and somehow find my bag.

OMG!! OMG!! Crissy, I am just sitting here withe hugest grin on my face for you!! I am so thrilled you fulfilled one the biggest dreams of your life- and remember wiht such hope for you when I read your PTR about how this was something you just wanted to finish!! Words, of course, could never be able to say how proud you must feel of yourself and the feeling of such elation of having stuck with a hard job to completion!

A hundred high fives for you, Dear One!!

Hurray! Hurray! You made it! You made it! I am so very proud of you, Crissy! What an awesome accomplishment! I am so glad you crossed that finish line! :yay::woohoo::cheer2:

Loved the paragraph about the Osborne Lights -- what a wonderful moment for you!

I feel like I ran the race with you reading that!!! I really enjoy your writing style :goodvibes:

I am so glad you finished and the pictures of you crossing and the medal picture are both AWESOME!!

I have to tell you that the guy cooking food in DHS was so odd to me!! It really made me sick to my stomach to smell that food as I was running, especially close to the end!!

OMG!! OMG!! Crissy, I am just sitting here withe hugest grin on my face for you!! I am so thrilled you fulfilled one the biggest dreams of your life- and remember wiht such hope for you when I read your PTR about how this was something you just wanted to finish!! Words, of course, could never be able to say how proud you must feel of yourself and the feeling of such elation of having stuck with a hard job to completion!

A hundred high fives for you, Dear One!!

It really was the best feeling. I think right up until the part, I really expected to fail, that something was going to happen and I wouldn't make it. I was prepared for that. To do it, was the absolutely best feeling ever. The tears I thought I'd feel weren't there at all at the end, just happiness.

Hurray! Hurray! You made it! You made it! I am so very proud of you, Crissy! What an awesome accomplishment! I am so glad you crossed that finish line! :yay::woohoo::cheer2:

Loved the paragraph about the Osborne Lights -- what a wonderful moment for you!

Thanks! :goodvibes I really was going to injury anyone who pulled me off that course the longer I was out there. :rotfl: It would have been ugly. I was wish I had made it in the required time, but I'll take what I did. :thumbsup2

There were three moments that really stood out to me after the race. Mile 9, the last mile, and the Osborne lights. The rest all kind of blurred together, and only a few images remain. (Probably because so much of it was just plain old roads). The Osborne lights will always be the most special for me, even more than finishing.

I feel like I ran the race with you reading that!!! I really enjoy your writing style :goodvibes:

I am so glad you finished and the pictures of you crossing and the medal picture are both AWESOME!!

I have to tell you that the guy cooking food in DHS was so odd to me!! It really made me sick to my stomach to smell that food as I was running, especially close to the end!!

Thank you! I was going to be sure that I was looking as happy as I felt for those pictures. The pictures from my first race, a 10k, were just awful. I should scan it in just to show the difference. I just looked sad and miserable.

I had forgotten about the smell of the food. Ugh! I remember thinking the same thing. I was feeling so quesy and achey at that point the last thing I wanted to think about was food. Ick! I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that was just really strange.

Hurray! I'm so proud of you for crossing that finish line and that picture is priceless. You should be so proud of yourself. :goodvibes

After I had my photo taken with my medal, I headed over to bag pickup. I heard from a lot of other race participants that they faced a huge mess at bag pickup. I guess there are some good things about being one of the last people to cross the finish line, but I had my bag in minutes. I ran into my old college friend, and the girl I had run a few miles with, and was happy that they had both finished as well. Bag in hand I headed out into World Showcase to find Epcot more packed than I had ever seen in my entire life. It seemed like every square inch of the place was crawling with people. I don't think it could have been more packed on Christmas day.

It was a close call what I wanted first, a bathroom or that pebble out of my shoe, but the pebble won out by a small margin. There was absolutely no place to sit down other than the ground, and that was starting to look pretty filled up along the edges as well. I made it across from the entrance and found a spot to lean on against one of those big, fake Canada rocks and took off my running shoes and compression socks. My feet breathed a temporary sigh of relief, but that was short lived. I had brought a pair of Crocs flip flops to put on after the race, not thinking I may have blisters and those little nubbly massage things wouldn't feel good at all on them. I didn't check my feet too closely at that moment, but I knew that I had one blister right where the pebble had been. I probably should have just put the sneakers back on, but I went with the Crocs. As I was changing my shoes I saw a familiar red shirt, and introduced myself to a fellow ROTE member. (Running of the Ears message board). He had been done for awhile, and told me that a lot of people had been having problems on the course. After chatting for awhile I headed off towards the Puerto Rico booth where my BFF and I had made plans ahead of time to meet up.

Going to meet up with my BFF took a bit of the wind out of my sails, because I knew that she hadn't finished the race. I knew she was happy for me that I did it, but still I knew she was really disappointed that she hadn't. I almost felt like I couldn't fully celebrate the way I would have liked, because I didn't want to make her feel bad. I know she would have told me it wasy okay, but still I didn't feel completely right about it. Even in the following days, I would have loved to have worn my medal around the parks, as others were doing, but I didn't. I found her sitting on the ground near our meeting spot drinking down a Torched Cherry Colada. I made a quick beeline to the restrooms at the Odyssey restaurant, before heading back.

Now that the race was over, and I a restroom had been found I just wanted to sit for awhile. My stomach was still not feeling right from the stupid Clif Shot Blok so I didn't want to eat any thing crazy right away. The little food bag they had given me at the end of the race had a banana in it, so I made myself eat that knowing I needed to get something into myself to start the repair process. I ate the banana and drank a bottle of water and slowly started to feel better. I did a Facebook post that I finished, that Heidi saw remarkably quickly. :) I was feeling a bit achy, and the blister on my foot was bothering me, but other than that I was improving. My friend though was a bit of a mess. Her feet were bothering her badly, and were an issue for the rest of the week. She said every step was painful, and what she was describing was sounding like Planters Facitis.

The lines at all of the stands were crazy long for food and drinks. By the time I got in line to use my food and drink coupon they had last call and were closing up while I was standing in line. Boo! :headache:I've read on the boards later that Disney was selling tickets to general park guests to stay at the party, when it was only supposed to be for racers and their guests. It was a huge mess. With them closing up shop we had to get up and make it back to the Beach Club. I felt badly for anyone staying at one of the other official resorts who had to hike all the way back to the entrance to catch their buses. Walking back to the beach club was bad enough. I was actually getting what must have been my third wind, and was motoring along back to the hotel when I realized that I had left my friend way behind. :rolleyes:Suddenly I was feeling great again. I know, I'm weird, I accept that. I'm a night person, what can I say. :rotfl:

I waited for my friend to catch up, and slowly we made our way back to the Beach Club. On the walk I realized I was dying for a soda. I wanted somethng cold and bubbly. I was feeling a bit of that scratchy throat, cold feeling creeping up on me. Of course it's 3 am now and nothing is open. When we got back into the room I called the main desk to find out where the nearest soda machine was. Unbelievably the only one at the Beach Club was over on the complete opposite side of the resort in the Villa area laundry. :eek:I was feeling good, but I had no desire to hike all the way back over there. I made do with a big glass of water, showered (greatest shower ever) and tended to my feet. They weren't too bad. I had the one blister right under the ball of my right foot, a smaller one on the side of my left, and a blood blister that turned my toenail black on my left foot. I have a nerve problem with my left foot, ever since the race I've had times of temporary, partial numbness in that toe.

Still, all and all I wasn't too bad, at least I thought I wasn't until I went to sleep. It was now after 4am in the morning and I couldn't sleep. My entire body, when face with a nice soft bed was now tensing up. All my muscles were suddenly rebelling against me. I lied there just trying my best to get into a comfortable position. Finally I dozed off, exhausted but happy.

Congratulations on finishing the race. Sorry you couldn't celebrate like you wanted to because of your friend.

Great tale, right down to the happy ending. Congratulations again, I hope you display your medal proudly. And a great picture at the end!

What an incredible journey you had!!! The last two pictures of you - the one when you crossed the finish line and the one with your medal - are absolutely beautiful!!! You look so incredibly happy and you should be! What an amazing feat... and one not too many people accomplish. You may not have cried at the end of your race, but I swear I teared up a bit when I read about you crossing the finish line! :goodvibes

CONGRATULATIONS!! WOW You are AMAZING!!! WTG finishing the race!! What an inspiration you are!! I would love to do a Disney race someday!

I was so mad I didn't get to use my food or drink tickets!! I should have given them all to DBF to enjoy while he was waiting for me...but he said it was packed pretty much the whole time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter