• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hippos and Tigers and Flowers, Oh My! - A Solo March '18 TR - COMPLETED 7/13 - Final Thoughts+New TR

I really appreciated how the hostess walked me around the rest of the restaurant to explain the decorations and how the lighting changes like an African sunset.
I would appreciate this as well! And cheers to chatting with the chef and other Disney guests! Sounds like a lovely dinner!

I’m not a pistachio fan, so thought I could just push the crumbles off to the side, but turns out there is a big piece of pistachio cake inside the chocolate mousse!
This made me sad.

Before heading back to my room I decided to check out the pool hours… 10am-8pm! So annoying that you can’t go in without a lifeguard, but the hours are so short!

Anyways, I got back up to my room around 9pm, which my body thought was around 6pm and still energized. My bags hadn't arrived, so couldn't unpack. And it felt like a waste to just watch TV! So...what to do?
Surely 'pool hours' don't apply to hot tubs?!

but turns out there is a big piece of pistachio cake inside the chocolate mousse!
Yep, still sad. That beautiful piece of chocolate...!

Jiko looks SOOOO delicious. I'd go for that Victoria Falls Mist or the Filet Mignon or... just all of it. I need to get my fancy Disney dining ON! Hand me your signature dining reservations when you not feeling fancy enough hehehe

Oooooo, what could one do when not jet-lagged yet? :magnify::magnify:

I really appreciated how the hostess walked me around the rest of the restaurant to explain the decorations and how the lighting changes like an African sunset.
That's awesome she took the time to walk you through! I had never heard that about the lighting at Jiko--what an incredible touch!

so got to participate in a bunch of fun experiences (like serving dinner in the Haunted Mansion stretching room).
How did I never hear about that either?! Just when I think I know it all. What an amazing jealousy-inducing experience!!!!

So annoying that you can’t go in without a lifeguard, but the hours are so short!
I always feel like this, too!! I wish it would switch to adults only or something when the lifeguard isn't on duty--enter at your own risk or whatever. The hours are just too short, especially when you're able to stay out at the parks so late.

I am with you on the desserts. I don't need them to be super fancy!

Boma is way better than Tusker House. So much more to choose from and all of it is much better. In my oppion, at least. Def try it! We ask love it, even the girls!
Yeah, give me sugar and chocolate and I'm good!

I can't wait to try it in December! I could smell everything once I walked into AKL and it all smelled delicious!

I would appreciate this as well! And cheers to chatting with the chef and other Disney guests! Sounds like a lovely dinner!

This made me sad.

Surely 'pool hours' don't apply to hot tubs?!

Yep, still sad. That beautiful piece of chocolate...!
I'm happy to hear someone else understands my distress at pistachio cake in the chocolate mousse! And I'll get to the hot tub info in my next post!

Hi joining in. Great report so far.
:welcome:

Jiko looks SOOOO delicious. I'd go for that Victoria Falls Mist or the Filet Mignon or... just all of it. I need to get my fancy Disney dining ON! Hand me your signature dining reservations when you not feeling fancy enough hehehe

Oooooo, what could one do when not jet-lagged yet? :magnify::magnify:
Haha, yeah, signature dining is fun but $$$ I will probably do some in December, but not as many as I originally thought!

That's awesome she took the time to walk you through! I had never heard that about the lighting at Jiko--what an incredible touch!

How did I never hear about that either?! Just when I think I know it all. What an amazing jealousy-inducing experience!!!!

I always feel like this, too!! I wish it would switch to adults only or something when the lifeguard isn't on duty--enter at your own risk or whatever. The hours are just too short, especially when you're able to stay out at the parks so late.
The lighting was very nice and subtle. I did see it changing throughout the night.

I think it was one of those super exclusive VIP $$$ experiences!

I totally agree that they should just make it swim at your own risk. But I guess maybe Disney decided it's easier to deal with annoyed guests than higher insurance rates. But especially with the park hours being reduced-it'd be one thing if you could go to pool in the morning or afternoon, and still stay at the parks til super late, but when you come back and still have energy to go to the pool, that should be allowed!

Day 0, Part 4 Shopping!

So, what are you to do when you still have energy at 9pm? Why, shopping at the Springs of course!

pglRdm4.jpg

I headed down to the bus stop and hopped on the bus just before it left (the bus driver actually was getting ready to leave when he saw me rushing down the hill! I did realize then though it was annoying getting to DS from AKL, because the bus goes Jambo-Kidani-Springs. So it ended up being a 45 minute travel time, which was pretty annoying-also added to the time that was they had to unload all the scooters at Kidani, then load new ones, and the driver had issues with the ramp, so had to keep resetting it. Anyways, from then on, I vowed to Uber from AKL-DS.

But, I arrived around 9:50, with 1 hr 10 minutes before stores closed! I was planning on doing a bunch of DS shopping and exploring the following morning before lunch, but this way I could do it beforehand!

First stop, Amorette’s. It was a good thing I stopped too, because they were closed for one of the cake decorating classes the next day!

CE7zFGl.jpg

I just love the interior here, with all the colors. I got to watch a baker making the mini Mickey Dome cakes, as well as torch the crème brulee.

dOVzISJ.jpg
AatPh3O.jpg
BTy1dpN.jpg
J7oRuKE.jpg

I ended up walking away with a mini Mickey Dome cake and a brownie (I'll include photos later when I go to eat them).

Next, World of Disney, or should I say, "Corner" of Disney? Literally 75% of the store was blocked off under construction! I knew some was blocked off, but didn’t realize the extent (you can see that yellow wall, and I marked where it ran in the store)! You could also hear the construction workers on the other side of the temporary wall! When I walked around outside to the other side I could see they had almost gutted the place!

yfTkSQ1.jpg
n4SwJjA.jpg
upload_2018-3-26_15-1-56.png
JfL3ex2.jpg

I’m in love with the current Discover the Magic collection, and considered getting these ceramic plates, but realized I would probably just break them before I could use them…or my evil (well loving, but annoying) cat would!

rh2XyOW.jpg
PmzlBXT.jpg

I also loved these 2 shirts, but they didn’t have my size. :sad:

siqc7T2.jpg
VAyhBRC.jpg

And I considered getting this toiletry kit, which rolled up and could hang on a hook:

fAppjQn.jpg
OjG8F5m.jpg

Instead I got this one, which came with 3 different pouches.

SRvsY7Z.jpg
RHyef0c.jpg

In all, I ended up walking away with the toiletry kit, and a photo album. On my last trip, my sister had given me a photo album as a thank you, so I ended up printing off a lot of photos; I liked that tradition, so now I’ll always get a photo album to include printed photos! (Oh, and for merchandise pictures; I tried to take photos in the store before I bought something, but sometimes forgot; most of the things I bought I took photos of in the room afterwards, but a couple were missed and so I took photos much later)

Lhj4ynE.jpg

Cont.. More shopping!

Day 0, Part 5 - Shopping and HOT TUB!

Next, Marketplace Co-op.

I admired the dresses at The Dress Shop, but didn’t get any (I don’t really wear dresses). I also considered getting this purse for my mom (mother’s day), since she loves Dumbo, but Lauren (sister) and I agreed that while she’d like it, she’d never use it.

N03IYhe.jpg
zW6rb2o.jpg
0T16uUz.jpg

Wandered into Tren-D, where I admired the chandeliers, but again, didn’t pick anything up.

O810oLu.jpg

Then Pin traders, where I wanted to get the new Peter Pan pins. They have them at Disneyland too, but I wasn’t sure if they were going to sell out before I got them.

z2XACMw.jpg

I also got this cool pin collection, which is the statues around the Hub. I checked online to see if they had one for Disneyland too, but looks like this set was actually almost 2 years old, and while I paid $40ish for it ($50 with AP discount), I could have gotten it on ebay (new) for $15! So…I ended up returning it later on in the trip, and bought the ebay one! :rotfl:

gp6gFhC.jpg

I made my way into Mickey’s Pantry, where I liked these magnets, but I really liked 2 from each set, and didn’t feel like buying both sets!

I0NfOcJ.jpg

And Days of Christmas, where I wanted the compass ornament that matched the Discover the Magic collection. Unfortunately they didn’t have it. I did admire the chip and dale ornament and considered the 4-parks ornament collections (regular or Christmas tree), but I figured if I got all 4 from WDW, I would also need the 2 from DLR, which would end up being $150 total…

sOU2a3m.jpg
thumbnail.asp
ArkVfWV.jpg
p6CpaMe.jpg

I also walked by Art of Disney, where I saw this cool mosaic (made with all different colors of wood)…but after I saw the price I did an about turn!

gVB0Cd6.jpg
5XxLfKE.jpg

I stepped briefly into Goofy’s Candy Co, where it almost feels like sugar is in the air! I did like the window displays though!

zOyC9VK.jpg
710pUiC.jpg

And one final stop into the Star Wars Trading Post. I did like the BB-8 Funko Pop from Last Jedi with his claws out, but I already have a BB-8 from Force Awakens, so thought it’d be wasteful to have both!

Hea2FSc.jpg
9n6OvHd.jpg

I admired the evening lights over Disney Springs before heading to the buses and getting back to AKL. I don’t remember any significant delays for buses, though the bus stop for AKL is pretty far out, so I regretted not just calling an Uber when I was on that side, rather than walking all the way to the bus pickup!

3dYvCRY.jpg

Before heading back to my room, I decided to check out where the hot tubs were and if they were also locked up. Well, thankfully, it turns out the hot tubs are not in the main pool fence, so I would be able to get in! One was also open until midnight (it was around 11:30), while the other didn’t have a sign with closing time (turns out the list of warnings had a midnight closing too, but it wasn’t obvious and was never actually locked).

When I got back to my room, my suitcase was there, so I quickly pulled out my swimsuit, and went down to get some hot tub time, which was very relaxing!

After getting fully relaxed, I made my way back up to the room and unpacked before crashing to sleep! I knew there’d be a late night ahead! :faint:

Cont... My longest (and most fun*) Dismeet yet!
*Not that any dismeets have been anything other than fun... :love:

And, I almost forgot:
Day 0 step count: 8,649 (3.4 mi)

Last edited:

I got my first look in Amorettes this trip as well. I liked the Mickey dome cake, Andi not so much. Ugh I hated WOD it was a cluster for sure, why did they think keeping a little corner open was enough! Sorry your bus rides were not the best to and from DS.

YAS SHOPPING! Yeah, Disney Springs is a weird one from most anywhere. It is just so out-of-the-way from the parks. Personally I don't mind the bus system, but that's the CM/local mindset I have so I get the need for an Uber.

I don't think I've actually been in Amorette's, but it all looks SOOOOOO delicious. Mmmmmmm. There and Sprinkles are definitely high up on my list to actually grab something from next time I'm in DS.

Ugh, that stinks about World of Disney. I don't think I've ever seen it under construction. I'd be irked though since it is such a big store usually to have it cramped down to one little corner. I love the merch you got though! I'm in the need of a new toiletry kit so I think Imma get one like that lol

Those Peter Pan wins are soooo *heart eyes emoji*. I swear if I ever went shopping with you and found some Peter merch I really liked, I'd end up with it in a snap and regret it so so much later hahaha

Ugh, Art of Disney is such a problem with all that beautiful but mega expensive art. I always walk away thinking, "One day when I'm rich and famous..." Because lord, if that day ever came, I'd actually buy the Swarovski crystal castle they have in Crystal Arts. I'd go that nutz.

Yay for ending the night in the hot tub! Can't wait to read how your first full day went! :mickeyjum

I’m joining in from the start. It sounds like a busy day. I love the look of those dome cakes. They are too cute to eat.

Cute purchases at DS! I've never seen that statues pin set- LOVE!

Sounds like it was a productive night! Glad you could squeeze in some hot tub time too!

I was doing a search on Flower and Garden and came across your TR. The food looks amazing! I enjoyed reading about your adventures and I love the photos you took.

So fun to see all of the merchandise photos!!
Then Pin traders, where I wanted to get the new Peter Pan pins. They have them at Disneyland too, but I wasn’t sure if they were going to sell out before I got them.
:lovestruc
Well, thankfully, it turns out the hot tubs are not in the main pool fence, so I would be able to get in! One was also open until midnight (it was around 11:30), while the other didn’t have a sign with closing time (turns out the list of warnings had a midnight closing too, but it wasn’t obvious and was never actually locked).
HURRAH!!!!!!!

I got my first look in Amorettes this trip as well. I liked the Mickey dome cake, Andi not so much. Ugh I hated WOD it was a cluster for sure, why did they think keeping a little corner open was enough! Sorry your bus rides were not the best to and from DS.
I know-WoD was sooo small! Like I wish they could have kept it at least 50% open! Though, I was one of the consultants who helped with the construction wall phasing for the WoD reno at DLR, so I know it can suck to organize extent of openess with available exits and whatnot, so I guess I do understand they probably had their reasons.

YAS SHOPPING! Yeah, Disney Springs is a weird one from most anywhere. It is just so out-of-the-way from the parks. Personally I don't mind the bus system, but that's the CM/local mindset I have so I get the need for an Uber.

I don't think I've actually been in Amorette's, but it all looks SOOOOOO delicious. Mmmmmmm. There and Sprinkles are definitely high up on my list to actually grab something from next time I'm in DS.

Ugh, that stinks about World of Disney. I don't think I've ever seen it under construction. I'd be irked though since it is such a big store usually to have it cramped down to one little corner. I love the merch you got though! I'm in the need of a new toiletry kit so I think Imma get one like that lol

Those Peter Pan wins are soooo *heart eyes emoji*. I swear if I ever went shopping with you and found some Peter merch I really liked, I'd end up with it in a snap and regret it so so much later hahaha

Ugh, Art of Disney is such a problem with all that beautiful but mega expensive art. I always walk away thinking, "One day when I'm rich and famous..." Because lord, if that day ever came, I'd actually buy the Swarovski crystal castle they have in Crystal Arts. I'd go that nutz.

Yay for ending the night in the hot tub! Can't wait to read how your first full day went! :mickeyjum
I think you and I should NEVER EVER go Disney shopping together, because I have a feeling that if we did, we would peer pressure each other into both walking away with the Swarovski Castle (and maybe a tiara or 2)!

Yeah, I mean the bus system is there and does get you from place-place, but with such a short trip, I didn't feel like wasting that much time! I think I ended up using it 4 times or so, and they had varying degrees of success (mostly good, but some weird inexperienced drivers too).

Amorette's is my favorite! Soooo much better than Sprinkles! Though there is a sprinkles at DTD, so you can grab something from there this summer, leaving Amorettes for Disney Springs.

I'll let you know if I see a Disneyland version of that toiletry kit!

And I had to stop myself from spending >$200 for the complete mystery Peter Pan pin collection from ebay!

m23478225762_1.jpg

I’m joining in from the start. It sounds like a busy day. I love the look of those dome cakes. They are too cute to eat.
Oohh, but they are so delicious! They have cake decorating classes where you can decorate a full size cake, though I like the little dome ones!

Cute purchases at DS! I've never seen that statues pin set- LOVE!

Sounds like it was a productive night! Glad you could squeeze in some hot tub time too!
I think they still have versions on Ebay! Probably lots of scalpers who bought some and are now trying to pawn them off!

Shopping and hot tub time for the win!!!! A perfect ending to day 0.
pixiedust:

I was doing a search on Flower and Garden and came across your TR. The food looks amazing! I enjoyed reading about your adventures and I love the photos you took.
:welcome: Let me know if you have any questions about F&G!

So fun to see all of the merchandise photos!!
:lovestruc
HURRAH!!!!!!!
Yeah, I tried to take more Merch photos, partially for me to decide later if I wanted something, and partially just for the TR!

I figured you went shopping, but couldn't necessarily remember. :D

I didn't do much shopping on my recent trip at all due to budget, but how did I miss those Peter Pan pins?!?! :(

I figured you went shopping, but couldn't necessarily remember. :D

I didn't do much shopping on my recent trip at all due to budget, but how did I miss those Peter Pan pins?!?! :(
I think they came out the week before each of our trips! I knew I wouldn't have time to get to Disneyland, and you know how those pin vultures can be, so I took my luck to find them at WDW!

YES! I waited 5 months just to get the AP Disneyland 60 pin, because I was out of town when Disneyland started celebrating the celebration. I would go in 2-3 times a week to try and get the pin and they never had it.

Day 1, Part 1 More Shopping!

I think I set my alarm for around 9 am, but didn’t get out of bed until 9:30 (remember, I was on a west coast time difference, so my body thought it was 3 hrs early).

For breakfast, I ate my mini Mickey Mousse [Chocolate chiffon cake, dark chocolate Mousse and White chocolate mousse], which I had gotten from Amorettes the night before. Yum!!! I definitely would get this again! Of course I made the same mistake I made in September and forgot to grab a fork from Amorettes, so when it came to eating my cake, I didn't have any utensils... well, a nice set of teeth will do just fine! :rotfl:

Owluhls.jpg
ERiwiiQ.jpg

I started out eating on the balcony, but realized all the taxi drivers and smokers could see me, so went back inside. :eek: I did admire the Zebra chairs though!

spWmvFP.jpg
zmsn1Oz.jpg

*Another thing, the room at AKl didn’t have a clock. I ended up picking up this one on Amazon, and it worked out great; perfect amount of illumination to see the numbers without lighting up the room too much. And it was nice and small. I plan to bring it to France, since I always like to be able to roll over and look at the clock without actually using up energy to pick up my phone.

n4le8Lz.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IAX7QA0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

After "breakfast", I gathered my things and headed out of the room for the day, stopping first to confirm there was another elevator near my room that would lead to the hot tub (the night before I had just used the main elevator and walkway).

AvfkW00.jpg
3RhPMBG.jpg

This red arrow leads to the side path and elevator lobby!
M4rmQf0.jpg

I also admired the main lobby a bit. Definitely lots of hidden mickeys there!

8qxOIQT.jpg
XW7qNX6.jpg
z5sMPg8.jpg
t7w3M2d.jpg
NZJMj2S.jpg
BQFdB54.jpg
RdRvH85.jpg

And went out to the overlook

x3Mn5Mo.jpg
dzRS2Dh.jpg
Kj3LG1q.jpg
7JMfHrM.jpg
QvO9hUs.jpg

But unfortunately no animals out there! I don’t know if it was being cleaned or they were eating, but none to be seen. I even went to the other overlook near the “library lounge” (I think it's the sunset overlook) and none there either!

2jXX2ne.jpg

Anyways…

I called up an uber to head to Disney Springs (wasn’t up to dealing with bus delays on such a short trip), and turns out the uber driver was already at AKL! Though I made it to her car first, because she was in the bathroom…a bit funny, but also a bit annoying! Like, maybe don’t take the fare if you aren’t ready…

dSw3Xh3.jpg
6vtwrTk.jpg

We made good time to Disney springs, arriving around 10:45

o8sv2bj.jpg

But, it seems the lady really didn’t know where she was going, because she actually went into the parking garage, rather than dropping me outside! I ended up just telling her, let me out here, I’ll make my way down the escalators. (Didn’t tip her the highest in the end.)

I wandered around a bit, stopped at Basin (tried the orange scented and then regular sugar scrub; I prefer Orange!)
PXEgeZP.jpg

and World of Disney (still didn’t have my shirt size), then Wonderground Gallery, where I picked up some postcards I had forgotten to get the previous day. I got the Toy Story and Alice in Wonderland versions for Max and Alice, my friend's kids, who I'm defacto aunt for (can you guess which card was for which kid...), and then I saw the Kingdom of Cute one I had to get for myself, and I plan to find a cheap frame to put it in.

a7FJmW8.jpg
dMZsVuL.jpg
wni1l6i.jpg

*Can I just say, I hate how hard it is to find postcards at Disneyland! I think I saw maybe one of those larger 10-pack booklets, but those don't have the best options, but besides that, it was the artsy ones from Wonderground. I guess at the cheaper stores around you can probably find generic postcards, but these were the best ones on site!

Cont...

I also made a brief stop at Uniqulo, but I didn’t like shirts and they probably didn’t have my size anyways.

I really liked this lego mosaic, but I didn’t go in the store (too tempting for me). Also, :offtopic:, did you read about that new Symphony of the Seas cruise ship-they have a special 2-story suite with a LEGO WALL! Oh boy, if I actually had the money...

YSLAFI8.jpg
MKkqPif.jpg

It was also pretty windy making these patio ornaments go crazy, but they were very pretty!

TksoCM2.jpg
giphy.gif

And does anyone know if this fountain is Mary Poppins inspired? Sort of reminds me of "feed the birds"

KXqz5JY.jpg

I love the clear blue water in the Springs!

9MWl8KA.jpg
yCRCx5K.jpg
1vwJLGJ.jpg

A lady was really nice and offered to take my photo when she saw me doing a selfie; I said she should get a career as a PP, because she was guiding me in poses and checking lighting! She said PP doesn’t pay enough!

4uCs9oB.jpg
BzFmNCA.jpg

I finally stopped in the Ganachery, where I was hoping to get a s'more, but unfortunately they weren’t selling them until the end of the month! The lady explained it was difficult for them to make since it was all homemade, from the graham cracker dough to the marshmallow, to the chocolate. Plus they need a whole other person to put them together! Anyways, she did give me a lovely free sample of the milk chocolate truffle centers, which convinced me to buy a box of 6! They also have ice packs there so you can keep the chocolate from melting for several hours! And if you buy over $50 worth, you can get a free insulated cooler, which is adorable!

j8Dwf8y.jpg
WVMjoKy.jpg
gjbRD9e.jpg
4sxwk1g.jpg
NgqBC3J.jpg
kVew6Ym.jpg
auoSjbj.jpg
rfQemmo.jpg

I ended up getting (clockwise from top left): Orange, Sea Salt Caramel, Coconut, Dark Chocolate (65%), Milk Chocolate, and Vanilla. Just so you know, it's all truffled centers, so not creamy. I think I liked the regular Milk Chocolate the best, but I actually didn't end up eating them until 2 weeks after I got back! I just didn't get a chance at Disney, then got sick and didn't want to waste them! :cold: But they were very yummy!

Also, I ended up carrying these around with me for the rest of the day and they survived just fine despite warm temperatures. Now, I don't think they'd survive the height of summer, but they can stand a bit of warmth!

Once I finished at Ganachery I was getting hungry for lunch...

Cont...Whats on the menu for lunch, and who do I get to meet up with?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter