HIPAA violation - grey area?

I'm Canadian, so this may not apply in the US, but due to our privacy laws they cannot identify you. I'm surprised they even asked.

I'd decline for sure, you don't want this to get between you, your SIL and any possible related family drama!

I'm Canadian, so this may not apply in the US, but due to our privacy laws they cannot identify you. I'm surprised they even asked.

I'd decline for sure, you don't want this to get between you, your SIL and any possible related family drama!

You would think HIPPA would apply to the poster too. I'm guessing the mere fact they asked permission absolves them, but IMO they shouldn't have asked.

It's also a PII issue. Personal Identifiable Information which has become a huge deal due to all the identity theft that has been happening. I'm not sure why they would share you were the one to see it with her. That to me is strange. I also wouldn't say anything and let SIL bring it up if she wants to.

Seriously you know nothing...you would have figured that all out if you saw each other in the waiting room too and that isn't a HIPPA vioulation (that I know of).

Liz

The practice let information out they shouldn't have so it's a violation. Your scenario is completely different and the fact that it could happen doesn't mitigate this situation.

I find most of this HIPPA stuff to be blown out of proportion. They are making this a bigger deal than it is.

Personally one of my Docs has 5 patients with my exact name.

In my years dealing with sending flowers to hospitals. I have gotten some info that was probably protected under HIPPA

Usually it was flowers or a plant to a new Mom from the Dad's work, and they didn't know if the baby was a boy or girl.(For a pink or blue bouquet)...if I got a friendly nurse on the phone, I usually could get the info.

They don't have a choice about making a big deal of the violation...the feds put a whole slew of new regs into HIPPA.....including mandatory notifications....a few years ago.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter