Hip Surgery 3 weeks before Disney, need help!

disneyktee

Gluten Free Disney Foodie
Hi All,

I'm 24, my husband and I are taking my parents and younger siblings to Disney for Christmas (Dec 20-26). A week ago I hurt my hip (can't drive, sit upright for more than 10 minutes, or walk more than a block), the doctors think it is a tear in the labrum (cartilage inside the hip socket), they are confirming with an MRI this week and if it's positive I'll need arthroscopic surgery. We're desperately hoping to get into surgery as soon as possible, the earliest would be the week of or after Thanksgiving. That gives me just under a month between the surgery and our trip. From the research I've done, it seems like people are able to be up on crutches around day 3 but don't start PT until 3 weeks out and full recovery takes about 6 months.

I can't go in my current condition since I couldn't even sit in a wheelchair to get around the parks. Best case scenario I'll have about 3.5 weeks between the operation and the trip which means I should be able to do some limited walking.

I've never been to Disney with an injury and I have no idea what to expect. I will probably either need to significantly reduce my walking or to get a wheelchair. I would just love any advice, words of wisdom or experience, anything because I'm pretty lost with all this!

Thank you so much for any help!

Rent an ECV from an off-site vendor. It will be less expensive than in-park rentals, plus you'll have it to/from transportation as well as around your resort. I honestly wouldn't try WDW that soon after such a surgery on just crutches.

Enjoy your vacation!

I would plan on getting a wheelchair or an ECV. I can't imagine that you could reduce your walking to a manageable amount at WDW, and getting around all day on crutches sounds like a complete nightmare.

If you do get a wheel chair or ECV you'll have a place to sit when you need it, instead of asking your family to take a break every time the crutches wear you out. When you want to walk you can park your wheels in the stroller parking area near any restaurant or ride, then go back to it.

I assume you're flying -- see how well you do when walking through the airports. If that much walking bothers your hip, you'll definitely need wheels.

Plan on an ECV, but also talk to your doctor to find out expectations. It sounds like you'd be hitting your trip at the same time you should be starting PT. Make sure that the delay won't impact your recovery and if they expect you'll be able to sit for long periods of time. (not even so much the ECV as the flight - you are never guaranteed time to walk on the plan if you need to.)

I hope everything works out for you!

I definitely would leave the travel choice to my surgeon. He/she will have the knowledge of what was done in the operating room - and whether or not you should travel.

Please take your doc's advice. Don't do anything that you are cautioned against.

Good wishes to you to heal without issues. Take care of yourself.

If you are still on pain meds at that point, might want to opt for the wheelchair vs ECV. It's challenging enough to drive one in holidays crowds without adding possible slowing of reaction time from meds.

Best of luck on your diagnosis, treatment, and recovery

If your doctor gives you the OK to go (and please, for your health, make sure he/she fully understands the magnitude of a WDW trip!), then I recommend getting a wheelchair at the airports. This will spare you so much anguish (I am recovering from a back injury and needed one temporarily this past summer-without the wheelchair, I was crying almost before I exited the jetway).
The wheelchair service at the airports is free and operated by the airports, but you do need to pre-arrange it with your airline. Simply call and ask to have the wheelchair added to all segments. When you arrive at the first airport, tell the skycap, or the ticketing agent that you have the request in, and they will call for the chair. At your destination, the chair should be waiting for you at the door of the airplane. Of course, you should tip the attendant.
I found that it was smart to re-confirm the request at every airport-Phoenix was the worst and lost my request and almost missed my connection.

Having been through this surgery, most definitely talk to your surgeon. Some post-op protocols call for a hip brace that limits hip flex ion to the point that sitting up straight isn't possible at first. Blood clots are also a concern afterwards, and swelling that needs you to have the leg elevated above heart level. Some people sustain short term nerve damage from the traction that prevents lifting the leg. I was on crutches for longer than the two weeks I was told because the bone work ended up being more extensive than expected.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter