Himalaya ride at AK?

leebee

DIS Veteran
While in AK on Tuesday 10/14 (just got back, boo-hoo it's 50 degrees here in Bangor and they are predicting snow tonight upstate!) I noticed they are building in the Asia section! Hooray!!! I have always thought Asia to be the most lame part of AK, which I love otherwise. I just read that there is going to be a "train thru the Himalayas" ride, opening in 2004. Anyone got any details? Will it be another simulator, make-me-too-sick-to-ride type of ride? Fast coaster with loop-de-loop to make me puke? Or will it take guests of all ages and vertigo-status into consideration (I know, unlikely, gotta compete w/Universal)? Anyone heard anything???

Well, part of your information is correct.... it will be an attraction based on a mountain and will be located in the Asian section, but said mountain will be Everest. It will be a rollercoaster thrill type ride. The expected date of opening is 2006. According to sources, the construction that you are seeing currently, is the bridge from Dinoland to Asia, not the actual attraction.

I agree that AK needs more rides for those folks with awesome zoos in their hometowns. Unfortunately, I can't ride roller coasters! :(

the construction that you are seeing currently, is the bridge from Dinoland to Asia, not the actual attraction.
Actually there are some <a href="http://www.screamscape.com/html/walt_disney_world.html">here.</a> Scroll down to DAK.

This will become the largest ride in Walt Disney World at a Cost of $100 million (USD).

The ride will travel both forwards and backwards.

The height of the attraction is said to be nearly 200 feet. This is probably referring to the height of the mountain and not the height of the track contained within.

The Expedition Everest will be the first ride to use Vekoma's newest track system. Rather than the rails be on the inside of the ties, they will be on the outside. To date Vekoma has only used this system on their smaller roller coasters. This will be the first large scale installation of such a system.

Below is an artist rendering of the new attraction. Hopefully it shows up.

ak_ee1.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter