Hilton Head

disneygal922'sboy

Earning My Ears
Who can tell me about their trip to Hilton Head?? Positives/Negatives? Would you do it again? How long did you stay?
Any information you can share would be awesome.
Thanks in advance :)

We love HH as a one-day stop over when we drive up and down the east coast. The DCV there is very nice and clean - what you would expect - but somewhat secluded. The staff are fantastic and they have a storyteller there (can' remember his name - but he is great). The pool is nice - depending on the time of the year you are there. We enjoy the dining all thru HH - there are 2 place we enjoy - the first is Lowcountry (look up hH restatuants on tripadvisor.com - they are the first) and the second is a mexican restaruant within walking distance of DVC - San Miguel. The DVC has a small gift shop, they trade pins, etc. The negatives (not many) would be that for a longer stay I think we would get bored - the indoor mall is very tiny - the outdoor mall is very nice - but with kids they kind of get bored. We are not golfers or boaters - but we know some folks that are and they love it. Hope this helps.

We went to HHI for the 1st time in last August for 6 nights. It was very different than what I imagined. The first thing was that none of the resorts sit out on the main road, everything is sort of tucked away behind other buildings. We thought our GPS had gone bonkers when it was leading us through, what we thought was some sort of office park. But no, it was correct, there was DVC! The whole island was laid out really weird to us.

The DVC resort is very nice with great activities for the kids (we had 10yo & 12yo girls with us). They loved crabbing off the dock, riding bikes, etc. We probably will go back, but would stay for a night or two on the way down to WDW. It's worth it just to get cupcakes from Sweet Carolina Cupcakes (try them, you'll love it). Living in NJ, we have lots of beaches, so that wasn't a huge draw for us, plus it was VERY windy while we were there.

A day trip to Savannah is a must-do also.

Thanks for the info. My wife and I have been to the World five times in the last three years. We were thinking of trying something a bit different for 2012.

I live in Altanta and HHI is a popular beach destination for Atlantans. I know several families who go year after year. Somehow, though, we had never been to HHI until last year. We spent a couple of nights at the HHI DVC resort. What I liked about the resort is the activities for the kids (though we did not stay long enough to have time for any) and being within walking distance to some restaurants and shops at Shelter Cove. We had a marsh view unit and that was nice. The biggest downside to me is that the Disney resort is not on the beach, or even within a few minutes walk. That was fine for a short trip, but we are going back this summer for a full week and I have rented a condo very close to the beach, which was much less expensive than renting points for a 2BR (we need the points we own for our WDW trips) or paying cash. We really enjoyed the island itself. It is not as touristy looking as some beach destinations. There are wooded buffers between the street and shopping centers and business signs are small and low to the ground (this does make it a little harder to find things). There are a lot of sidewalks and paths for biking. I did not see any high rise towers like you see at some beaches, just some mid-rise hotels and and 4-5 story condo buildings along with private homes along the beach.

We went to HHI last August to try to have a cheaper kind of vaca because this summer's a whopper for us (Europe / Med DCL). We drove down from Maryland. Had never been down there before. It was realllly quiet and laid back. I agree with melanie18 - it was a little weird - everything, even the shopping centers are sort of hidden in the trees. There's a lot of Spanish Moss hanging from the trees too which adds to the hidden aspect. :rotfl: We also thought our GPS was wonky!!

The beach at HHI is VERY WIDE and there are hardly any waves. In August at least there were a lot of jellyfish. It was super HOT. A lot of people rent bikes to ride on the beach because the sand is very compacted and hard.

We also enjoyed a lot of really good meals that week, although personally we didn't like that Mexican place that atlmgm mentioned. That was our most disappointing meal all week...I guess everybody has a different outlook on that type of food.:confused3 We really enjoyed Truffles Cafe, Roastfish and Cornbread (Low Country style cooking), One Hot Mamas (BBQ) and the Alligator Grille. Guisseppi's was a pizza joint not too far away that was OK. I've had better pizza but it was CLOSE and reasonably priced. There was about an hour wait tho for a table so plan ahead (or they deliver). We called ahead for ressies at Truffles Cafe and Alligator Grille (don't know about NOW but at least last summer we were able to get a discount coupon on restaurants.com for Alligator Grille - I recommend looking up HHI restaurants on restaurants.com before you go). There are also most of the usual chain places like Carrabbas if you prefer to go where you know. One day we did the Beach Party at the Beach House which was fun. They had a southern style buffet and pool games for the kids. I think it was about $25 pp or something like that and we signed up earlier that day. (I don't know if that was a seasonal thing or if they offer it all year long.)

We had a pretty quiet week and since we were there on a budget only went out one day for a splurge activity (water skiing & tubing for DS). Since it was summer we had a few days with some storms but usually later in the afternoon. One day it rained like ALL DAY so we ended up going to the one & only movie in town along with a few hundred of our closest neighbors.:goodvibes

It was just OK for us. We're used to a little more action (like at WDW) and it was a bit sleepy. I think we DID like it a little better than Vero Beach tho. Vero was very pretty but everything closed up at 9:00. We're late diners and had a hard time finding any place to eat that was open late at Vero. Vero is a good wind down after a week at Disney if you just go for like about 3 nights. HH is more tolerable for a longer trip because there's a little more to do - but not as much as at Myrtle or Ocean City or something. We did a full 7 nights at HHI and that was plenty long enough I guess. Mostly because we couldn't really play in the ocean because of the jelly fish. That was disappointing and it was too hot (mid-90's in August) to just SIT there. We'll probably go again one day but are not in a rush to go back. It served its purpose for us last summer. It was driveable and fit our budget.

I would have to say that my family absolutely loves HHI! We have been the past two years for the last week in March. Last year, it was me, my wife and four kids (Girl 10, Boy 7, Girl 3, Boy 1). This year it was all of us again, a year older, plus grandma and grandpa. Last year spent 6 nights and it wasn't enough. This year stayed 8 nights and it wasn't enough(even with poor weather).

The CM's at HHI are unbelievable!!!! I am not sure I can mentions names here, so I wont. They take the time to get to know you and remember everything. I can't believe how wonderful they are to the kids, never forgetting a name and always going out of their way to make the kids feel good. The activities are unlimited. There is always something fun and exciting going on. I read that some people feel bored while there, our family never did from the 1 year old up to my 70 year old father, we all had a blast.

As far as not being on the beach, doesn't bother us at all. In fact, it is actually nice. If you want to go to the beach, hop in your car and drive the 5 minutes there. There is parking at the beach house and the resort also provides a shuttle bus, although we never used it. You can stay as long as you want, as the beach house is awesome. You can get food and drinks there and make a day of it if you want. My kids actually dont want to be at the beach every day. They like to go every couple of days as they are too busy swimming in the pool and taking part in all the activities. The pool at the beach house is nice and the kids play area is a hit with my 2 and 4 year olds.

Food all over the island is wonderful! We really enjoyed our bbq sandwiches from One Hot Mama's, Low Country Backyard was awesome, and we ate at Hudson's. Have seen mixed reviews on Hudson's, but can say that we loved it. Shrimp and grits was awesome!

Did I mention how awesome the CM's are!?!? We will go back to HHI each and every March that is possible. I ended up paying cash for half of our trip this year, because I am short on points, but it was very reasonable at this time in my opinion. Hope that this helps!

I greatly appreciate everyone's candid opinions. We were thinking of spending a week down there as long as we could find other things to do in the surrounding areas. I know my wife is excited the resort is so close to Savannah . She really wants to visit Paula Dean's restaurant!!

Ocean City has more activities than HHI? :confused3

We went to HHI last August to try to have a cheaper kind of vaca because this summer's a whopper for us (Europe / Med DCL). We drove down from Maryland. Had never been down there before. It was realllly quiet and laid back. I agree with melanie18 - it was a little weird - everything, even the shopping centers are sort of hidden in the trees. There's a lot of Spanish Moss hanging from the trees too which adds to the hidden aspect. :rotfl: We also thought our GPS was wonky!!

The beach at HHI is VERY WIDE and there are hardly any waves. In August at least there were a lot of jellyfish. It was super HOT. A lot of people rent bikes to ride on the beach because the sand is very compacted and hard.

We also enjoyed a lot of really good meals that week, although personally we didn't like that Mexican place that atlmgm mentioned. That was our most disappointing meal all week...I guess everybody has a different outlook on that type of food.:confused3 We really enjoyed Truffles Cafe, Roastfish and Cornbread (Low Country style cooking), One Hot Mamas (BBQ) and the Alligator Grille. Guisseppi's was a pizza joint not too far away that was OK. I've had better pizza but it was CLOSE and reasonably priced. There was about an hour wait tho for a table so plan ahead (or they deliver). We called ahead for ressies at Truffles Cafe and Alligator Grille (don't know about NOW but at least last summer we were able to get a discount coupon on restaurants.com for Alligator Grille - I recommend looking up HHI restaurants on restaurants.com before you go). There are also most of the usual chain places like Carrabbas if you prefer to go where you know. One day we did the Beach Party at the Beach House which was fun. They had a southern style buffet and pool games for the kids. I think it was about $25 pp or something like that and we signed up earlier that day. (I don't know if that was a seasonal thing or if they offer it all year long.)

We had a pretty quiet week and since we were there on a budget only went out one day for a splurge activity (water skiing & tubing for DS). Since it was summer we had a few days with some storms but usually later in the afternoon. One day it rained like ALL DAY so we ended up going to the one & only movie in town along with a few hundred of our closest neighbors.:goodvibes

It was just OK for us. We're used to a little more action (like at WDW) and it was a bit sleepy. I think we DID like it a little better than Vero Beach tho. Vero was very pretty but everything closed up at 9:00. We're late diners and had a hard time finding any place to eat that was open late at Vero. Vero is a good wind down after a week at Disney if you just go for like about 3 nights. HH is more tolerable for a longer trip because there's a little more to do - but not as much as at Myrtle or Ocean City or something. We did a full 7 nights at HHI and that was plenty long enough I guess. Mostly because we couldn't really play in the ocean because of the jelly fish. That was disappointing and it was too hot (mid-90's in August) to just SIT there. We'll probably go again one day but are not in a rush to go back. It served its purpose for us last summer. It was driveable and fit our budget.

We've only discovered HHI since owning DVC in 2008 and have been there 5 times in little more than 2 years. Have gone at spring break summer and thanksgiving. Prefer DVC to non-DVC becasue of kid activities, accomodations and those CMs really are the best. It is relaxing for adults and exciting for kids.

We've only discovered HHI since owning DVC in 2008 and have been there 5 times in little more than 2 years. Have gone at spring break summer and thanksgiving. Prefer DVC to non-DVC becasue of kid activities, accomodations and those CMs really are the best. It is relaxing for adults and exciting for kids.
Which season is your favorite to visit HHI?

We went for 2 nights in March and it was great. Be prepared to relax and unwind. There are places to shop and eat. The beach house is about a mile away and you can take the shuttle. They beach house is nice if you want to come in out of the sun. The resort has a harbor on one side and an inlet ( i guess that is what you call it) on the other side. We relaxed in the hammock and watched the dolphins in the inlet...very amazing!!! They have hammocks all over the place and charcoal grills with picnic tables. They have a nice playground. The pool has a small to medium water slide at the resort. There is also a pool at the beach house.

We did a day trip to Savannah to eat at Paula Deans and then toured the Girl Scout headquarters. DD is a Girl Scout and loved that! Paula's restaurant, The Lady and Sons, starts taking lunch and dinner reservations at 9 or 9: 30 am. You have to be in line to make a reservation a reservation. The line looked VERY long and scary. It was wrapped around the sidewalk, but it moved fast and we got a table. It was great trip and I hope to go back soon....

have fun! :tinker:

Ocean City has more activities than HHI? :confused3

Yeah, well there's the Boardwalk and the amusement rides down at the end at OC...and there's a water park & go karts etc. There is no Boardwalk or any amusements or anything like that at HHI.:goodvibes It's just a beach.

Which season is your favorite to visit HHI?

I'm sure I'm in the minority when I say off-season is my favorite time (late fall to early spring). We just came back from HHI, the warmest, busiest time we ever encountered. On Easter Sunday, I got the last chaise lounge around the pool area. Good thing I was alone that day-DH would have had to stand! Good Friday, everywhere was packed for dinner. I guess we picked a busy time. We generally love HHI, but it's not for everyone. We love nature walks, bike riding, miniature golf, watching for dolphins both around the resort and over by the Beach House-compared to WDW, all low-key activities. Be very careful going out at night-due to HHI's ordinances about lighting and signage, it can be VERY hard to find where you're looking for. Heck, it can be hard to find things during the day. We drove by what turned out to be a McDonald's, wondering what the building was, because signage is "tastefully" done. It's a challenge, but to us, that's part of the charm of HHI. And I agree with what the PP said about the CM's. We've talked about purchasing a condo so we can spend more time at the island, but we've agreed that we'd miss the friendly CMs.

Yeah, well there's the Boardwalk and the amusement rides down at the end at OC...and there's a water park & go karts etc. There is no Boardwalk or any amusements or anything like that at HHI.:goodvibes It's just a beach.

Well for us that is entertaining enough!:)

We really want to go in September and March. We try to avoid the masses when possible !:)

My car has a gps so will I be able to find places with it? On my list is Jazz Corner, the Outlets, and a furniture store that sells wood kitchen table and chairs.

We plan to see a couple of condos for sale and Sun City too.

Only 28 more days!!!

I'm sure I'm in the minority when I say off-season is my favorite time (late fall to early spring). We just came back from HHI, the warmest, busiest time we ever encountered. On Easter Sunday, I got the last chaise lounge around the pool area. Good thing I was alone that day-DH would have had to stand! Good Friday, everywhere was packed for dinner. I guess we picked a busy time. We generally love HHI, but it's not for everyone. We love nature walks, bike riding, miniature golf, watching for dolphins both around the resort and over by the Beach House-compared to WDW, all low-key activities. Be very careful going out at night-due to HHI's ordinances about lighting and signage, it can be VERY hard to find where you're looking for. Heck, it can be hard to find things during the day. We drove by what turned out to be a McDonald's, wondering what the building was, because signage is "tastefully" done. It's a challenge, but to us, that's part of the charm of HHI. And I agree with what the PP said about the CM's. We've talked about purchasing a condo so we can spend more time at the island, but we've agreed that we'd miss the friendly CMs.

LOVE IT! Stayed there in the summers of 2007 and 2010 for a week each. The resort is very laid back and secluded. Even though it's not on the beach, the beach house fits the bill for hanging out at during the day and going back from pool to beach. Almost everything rolls up for the night around 9-10pm, but we quickly got used to that. I agree the waves aren't huge, but at certain times you can get lucky (I want to say High Tide).

There is a LOT of sea life. One of the things my kids look forward to doing is looking for: crabs, starfish, sand dollars, fish, dolphins, stingrays, a small shark and the dreaded jelly fish! We have seen all of these on our trips!:thumbsup2

We also love Myrtle Beach (more waves, more things to do at night with Broadway at the Beach), but the main difference for me is that I have no interest in living in MB. HH, on the other hand, I would actually like to live at or nearby. The island is absolutely beautiful!!! And the hidden buildings/businesses is to preserve the beauty without looking too overbuilt.

I can't wait til we can go back!

We LOVE Hilton Head. Have been for a week in late September and late June. September was great weather and no waiting at any of the restaurants-Anal Annie mentioned several of our favorites. Late June was a little busier but still nice weather-my 8 months pregnant daughter loved being able to go in the ocean. We would go every year if possible-and we have a place in Ocean City, Md! I would go in May or September-maybe early October. The units are beautiful and I love the large decks with rocking chairs. I think it's worth trying at least once. We were suprised how much we enjoyed our stay. :)

We are here in Hilton Head right now, and i have to say it's perfect! The front desk said they were at 100% capacity when we checked-in, on Sat, but i have to say it doesn't feel like it now. The pool at the beach house was empty today at 3-4ish. Also the putt putt wasn't busy, nor were the resturants we went to.

Also we went into the ocean today, and for us (we're from michigan/lake michigan area) it was warm! Lake michigan never feels as warm to me, not even in July!

But i also don't have a problem taking the kiddos out of school for the week, we're definitly off-season people.

So far this is a great place to RELAX. We only have 1 set activity, the rest of the time we're going where the breeze blows us!:beach:

For us it is a plus that the island seems more residential without amusement rides and water parks. I can understand that some people want more action, but we are looking forward to a more relaxing vacation.

To those asking about weather...we went last year towards the end of May before most kids were out of school. The weather was great, warm but not hot. The ocean water was a little cold for me but DH and the kids were fine. I would pick May or late September/early October for optimal weather and lower crowds. We are going in July because that is the only time this year we can go. I figure roasting at the beach will be better than roasting at home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter