• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hilton Head Resort

The Big Sister

Earning My Ears
I was wondering what people think of Disneys resort in Hilton Head. It is within driving distance of me and Im thinking about going for a long weekend but dont want to waste points if it isnt worth it. Thanks:confused3

Oh, it is worth it. A beautiful resort with an abundance of nature. Very relaxing, but still you have plenty of restaurants and entertainment nearby. HHI and VB seem to have a lot more activities too... I assume to offset the fact they are not next to WDW. The CMs are great!

What kinds of restaurants/dinning is available. There is not much information on the website...thanks again

We LOVED HHI!!! It was the most relaxing family vacation we've been on. Think hammocks, horseshoes, fishing on the pier, campfire songs, etc. There aren't many choices for dining. I think we ate in our room for almost every meal. There was casual dining service at the beach house and resort, and we drove out for Mexican one night. If I recall, DVC guests receive a discount at area restaurants.

We think Hilton Head and Vero Beach are two of DVC's best kept secrets. Love them both. It is a much more relaxing vacation. There are plenty of restaurants to choose from on HH, just not at the resort itself. There is a quick/counter service restaurant by the main pool and one by the pool at the beach house. They offer typical sandwiches, burgers, chicken fingers etc. There are a number of sit down restaurants within walking distance though as well as a pizza/hoagie/pasta place and many more just a short drive away. When you check in they will give you a restaurant/activity guide that is really helpful. It will give you menus, prices and adresses.

Evening entertainment at the resort ranges from campfires with s'mores to bingo to a Low Country Boil and every Tuesday during the summer (at least in years past) a big barbeque by the main pool complete with games and a fireworks show.

LOVE HHI!!!! This will be our fourth summer trip to HHI in June. Although it is quite different from a WDW trip, our family equally enjoys HHI as well as going to WDW. There are lots of fun activities the resort plans each day plus the island itself is beautiful. It is a very relaxing vacation with a touch of Mickey fun that the resort puts in. The cm's are the friendliest at HHI!!!! My kids talk about the Tues. night pool party & campfire sing alongs all year long!!

We drove down last Thursday for a long weekend stay. We had never been to the resort before, but totally fell in love with it. I was able to book it with the current promotion for Disney Rewards credit and debit card holders @ 40% off. I reserved a studio, but found we had been upgraded to a two bedroom upon check-in! Because of the time of year, the resort is not crowded, hence the terrific upgrade. If you want to do a long weekend, during the off season, check what kind of cash price you can get and make sure it makes sense for you. I had been considering renting points for the trip, but when I learned about the promo rate (plus the possibility of getting upgraded if staying on a cash reservation) I decided to go that way, and lucked out with the fabulous upgrade. We participated in a lot of the daily activities. There are restaurants within walking distance, but it is very easy to get around the island to other events and restaurants (at least at this time of year.) We truly enjoyed our trip, and our whole family cannot wait to return!

We are spending the week of March 20th there, for the first time. We're really excited, although we can't figure out whether to expect peace or spring break crowds. We're hoping to get to Savannah and Charleston while we're there and also explore the island. Any restaurant recommendations?

We are going in July. I'm wondering about the beach access? How big, how far away, walk/drive, etc. Thanks in advance.

We are going in July. I'm wondering about the beach access? How big, how far away, walk/drive, etc. Thanks in advance.

The beach house is about a mile away from the resort. We usually drive over as we have all our beach chairs, umbrella, sand toys etc. But there is also a shuttle and you can easily ride a bike or walk it if you are so inclined.

The beach itself is wonderful. It is a large expanse of sand especially during low tide!! During low tide, tidepools teaming with small sea life form that amaze all the kids on the beach as they inspect crabs, starfish, sand dollars, small eels, fish, etc. The sand itself is compacted down hard making it ideal to walk, ride a bike or run. Its also great castle building sand. The water is warm in the summer and has nice waves with no riptides. :)

We are spending the week of March 20th there, for the first time. We're really excited, although we can't figure out whether to expect peace or spring break crowds. We're hoping to get to Savannah and Charleston while we're there and also explore the island. Any restaurant recommendations?

We loved loved loved Frankie Bones. We did not care for the restaurant right outside of the entrance to the resort.

Does anyone know if there are any farmers markets nearby or where to get locally grown produce while we are there in June?

Sounds fun, does the hotel have entertainment or things to do at night?

I'm afraid that lack of nighttime entertainment is a big complaint of HHI, unless you consider the 7:00 campfire at the resort nighttime entertainment. That's plenty late enough for us! Other than that, all I can think of is the nighttime jazz at the Jazz Corner, nighttime live jazz, that starts at 9:00. However, that's kinda late for us, so we haven't been there. Also, if you do go out, another complaint is very poor lighting and signage around the island so it's easy to get lost in the dark. But as someone mentioned, it's great there for nature.
Someone mentioned fearing Spring Break crowds. I had to laugh! We live an hour from one of the wildest Spring Break destinations in the US, SOuth Padre Island. Knowing what goes on there, I feared going to HHI over Spring Break. Believe me, it's not wild at all at Hilton Head. The few college-agers there are usually there with their families.

Does anyone know if there are any farmers markets nearby or where to get locally grown produce while we are there in June?

The Harris-Teeter grocery (beyond the resort on Rt 278 just beyond the traffic circle towards Sea Pines) has some locally grown produce but I'm not aware of any traditional Farmer's Market nearby.

Hilton Head is a beautiful resort. We love it and the atmosphere. Very relaxing, yet so much to do for the little ones. We've been there 3 times so far and look forward to going back!

Thank you to everyone who has posted replys to my original question. I appreciate all the help though my trip has been put on hold because....... my boyfriend just proposed with the prettiest ring I have ever seen in my life and we are now planning a wedding :lovestruc I plan on going to HHI after our marriage and honeymoon and all of your advice has helped.

Thank you to everyone who has posted replys to my original question. I appreciate all the help though my trip has been put on hold because....... my boyfriend just proposed with the prettiest ring I have ever seen in my life and we are now planning a wedding :lovestruc I plan on going to HHI after our marriage and honeymoon and all of your advice has helped.

Best wishes!!

Congratulations!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter