Hilton Head experts

babylisa4

Mouseketeer
I need some advice. I have a two bedroom booked for this summer but am taking my 84 year old mother along. She is not wheel chair bound but uses one if she is going a long distance instead of walking. She can also climb stairs but wouldn't want to do it a lot or very much. I have been to HH once and knew to ask to be on the bottom floor - even though that still leaves you with one flight of stairs to climb every time you enter the condo. Is there a better option? Are there 2 bed rooms in the lodge part that aren't handicapped? Is the view ok from the lodge? I also wondered just about using a wheelchair on the walkways around the resort? I can't remember if they are truly sidewalks or are they dirt paths? (I will have two teenage sons with me so they can certainly haul the wheelchair up the stairs with minimal griping!(LOL) Anyway, any suggestions on what would make this situation the most seemless and stress free? Thanks

I believe you can get a 1br+studio in the lodge that would accomodate you. I've not stayed in the lodge but I expect it is a nice view. However, these limited units are next to impossible to get except at the 11 month window for the summer. Most of the walkways are paved I believe except for the boardwalk near the lodge. You can waitlist but I suspect you will have trouble. I'm sure they will do everything they can for you but keep in mind it will be sold out so there is no guarantee that you will get a 1st floor 2 br either.

You have to tell MS you need an Accessible Room. Or you will be stuck on the 2nd floor at the very back unit. Mean while, a family who wants to be at the very back unit will be put in an accessible room that they do not need.

I don't really want a handicapped room with the roll in shower etc. Is that what "assessable" means?

We were in a studio lock off in the Lodge during our first HH stay. The room was not handicap accessible so I would assume the one bedroom next to it was not either. We had a view of the canal and condos across from HH resort (looking to the right if you are facing the resort). We enjoyed it very much.

Have a wonderful stya!

Kristen :earsgirl:

We will be there in May with my mom. She uses an electric cart when there is a lot of walking. She can do a few stairs but it would take her a long time and it would hurt after awhile (she has had hip and knee replacement). I have requested her room in the lodge for medical reasons as our first request. The second request was non-handicap. The only thing that stinks about the lodge 2 bedrooms is that they are ALL lock-off's. You can not get a dedicated and you can not have 2 beds in the second bedroom.

Lisa

Don't forget that because the 2 BRs in the main building are all lock-offs, some/many/all of them MAY be being used as studios and 1 BRs!

If you're willing to go with handicapped accessible, I think you'll have a better chance of being in the main building. Otherwise, you may end up with a 2BR that requires some stairs.

You might want to figure out what is more important to you: no stairs or no roll-in shower.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter