Highs and Lows - 22nd to 25th Jan

kizzabel

Eating poisonous apples since '86
Hi all; home since yesterday afternoon as we had a late flight Friday night and stayed on in Dublin.
We had a fantastic trip and did loads.

Highs:

Crowds - the park was so so quiet. The longest posted wait being 15mins
DS's enthuasiasm - he loved everything and had no fear. If it went fast, high or preferably both my little 4 y.o wanted to go on it. He was so easy going it made the trip fantastic.
Spending DS's birthday in DLP and the amazing pixie dust he received. Our room was decorated in baloons, there was a plush and sweet filled stocking on our bed and he received a voucher for a baloon in City Hall.
CMs and Characters - we met the same CM at bag check everyday and he was hilarious. He had us in stitches and I met the lovely Anne-Sophie again, who had brought myself abd DH on the tour last May, we had a nice chat in Salon Mickey and she was very helpful getting us info on ride closures.
The park looked beautiful this trip, pity about all the closures but the low crowds meant we got lots done.
Val d'Europe - we took the plunge and went exploring. It was such an easy place to find, we had beauty apple pastries and canele in Pauls (to die for!), I got to replace my dinky cup I'd gotten in Hema in Amsterdam (and subsequently broke) and it was a nice, warm way to spend Thursday afternoon as it really was too cold to stay in the parks.
Hotels - we stayed in the Crowne Plaza in Dublin and it was so lush, the rooms were decorated beautifully and massive. We stayed in the Hotel New York in Disneyland Paris and the room was very clean and fresh, we had a room in the brownstone on the fifth floor (5256) and it was very spacious and being so close to the park means we were not as tired as usual.

Lows:
Weather - all in all it didnt effect us greatly but once or twice we had to return to the room to warm up.
DS's height / ride restrictions - James was allowed on BTM three times (he was always measured) and was only a hairs breath under the 1.02m limit and was therefore let on. Until the last day when they very rudely said no at the loading area. He was broken hearted and sobbed his eyes out. We then said we would try ToT as it was the same height as BTM and maybe they would allow him. Well we again got to the loading area and this time again he couldnt ride. He spent an hour crying and wailing as he just couldnt understand all the flipped decisions. Apologies if you were in Res des Stars and had to listen to "But the other man said I was big enough".
Buffets - we didnt do the Chuckwagon and we deeply regret it as Billy Bobs and Res des Stars werent great. The selections were awful and we couldnt find chips on either which was friend was miffed about as she doesnt eat much else.

All in all a fab trip (infact my favourite) and we shall we counting down the days until May 2014 when we return. Thanks again to all who gave advice, info, tips, well wishes and shared our excitement.

sounds like a fantastic trip overall! not long til we go now so reading your highs and lows is making me exceptionally jealous and even more excited!!!!!

saw some pictures of the park covered in snow looked lovely and i'm glad it didn't ruin your trip!

so pleased your DS had such a wonderful time. how annoying about the rides and height restrictions!

just a question, if i may, how did you go about landing the pixie dust in your room??

xxxxx

Welcome back. Glad you had a good trip.
Was reastaurant des stars selection really poor? :confused3 I've got it on my list as last time it was great. Is review coming?

I've been to billy bob's twice, although it was a few years back.And i've always found the food to be good.I tend to like tex mex but i guess it depends on what type of food people like.

Welcome back! Glad there were so many highs :thumbsup2 but I feel so sorry for your little man! Roll on May next year when he'll be tall enough!

Welcome back, glad you enjoyed most of your trip. Shame you didn't like the buffets as I love eating at billy bobs and rest des stars, I have always found plenty if choice and it makes a change from the standard burger and chips

Isila said:
Welcome back. Glad you had a good trip.
Was reastaurant des stars selection really poor? :confused3 I've got it on my list as last time it was great. Is review coming?

Every time I have eaten there. It has been soup, cold meat, salad stuff, roast turkey, some fish dishes, ribs, beef bourguignon (which is amazing) the meat melts in your mouth, chicken, potatoes, veg, pasta, meatballs or bolognaise, pizza and loads of desserts

welcome back. glad to see more high's than lows.

your poor lad though, its hard for them to understand when they had already been left on.

Welcome back. Great to see so many highs :goodvibes
So sad for your little one and hard for them to understand....i'm glad he got to ride a few times though x

Welcome back glad you had a good trip over all. Aw your poor boy hard to explain to a 4yr old. My aunt stayed in the crown plaza last may and she said it was fab also and she is as fussy as me when it comes to hotels:rotfl:

Thanks everyone.

James was pretty upset but he's happy enough that he be tall enough when we return. it's just really got to me that he was okay with them before but then on the last day he was deemed too short.

Now I'm going to contradict myself as regards the buffets! I personally found there was plenty that I liked but not such a good selection on the kids buffet. I had expected to see chicken nuggets and fries and my friend is a fussy eater so there was less for her. The beef stew on with lovely, as were the carved meats, salads and soups but I think they're not for everyone. The dessert selection was also really good. As another OP said it makes a difference from burger and fries, I think my friend just had different expectations. I normally like Tex Mex food as well but I don't think Billy Bob's wss up to the standard it should be but I would definitely return to Restaurant des Stars (if my friend isnt with me) as the food was pretty good and makes a nice change from the quick service menus. Don't be disheartened Isila! I think alot of my reason for classing it as a low was down to my friends dislike and gripes with buffets.

We were so lucky we didn't see any snow fall but it did get very very cold at times but it felt stress free with the low crowd levels.

For the pixie dust I had sent a very subtley written email to Guest Relations telling them that it was going to be our 7th visit, the first one to correspond with q birthday and I asked if there was anything that we could do to make a fuss of my son. I received a lovely email from a CM named Hugo who told me he would leave baloons in the room and he would see what else he could do for James. We were so overwhelmed with their generosity. It got our trip off to a fabulous start. But do be very careful in how you write the email as you don't want to come across as pushy or that you are asking for something for nothing.

I'm puzled which ever buffet to do. I'm starting thinking about decided as we go. But restaurant des stars seems a good choice due to free space inside, enough for my kids to run aroud.

Welcome back and lovely to hear you had your best trip to date despite your son's disappointment at the end. At least you can use the incentive of growing tall enough for next year's trip as encouragement to "eat up your greens" if he is a fussy eater! :)

Kizzabel - which email address did you use to contact HNY?

We're staying there at the end of Feb for our daughter's 3rd birthday, but when I emailed dlp.guest.communication@disney.com I got a reply telling to call the Guest Care Dept on 08448 008 111. When I called them, I was told I could order a cake but nothing else could be done.

It'd be great if I could get hold of the HNY resort directly so I could place a query as I feel like I'm going round in circles - I'm not expecting anything but a sprinkle of fairy dust such as a card or balloons would really make her birthday extra special!

Great to hear you had a fab time and got a little extra pixie dust :). I am trying to choose between plaza gardens buffet or restaurant des stars for a lunch before we leave on the last day. Thinking we may try plaza gardens now, do you know are they similar in food choices?

Sorry for my absence. Depression session here! No DLP for 60 weeks. Uuuugh. Feels torture like already.

I used the standard guest communications email (its in the stickie under useful info, sorry cant copy/paste as Im on my fone). But let me say again be so so subtle as I really think it matters. The 1st chancer email i sent for our Nov 11 trip was a bit too obvious so we only received a letter but I was very complimentary (and may I add genuine) in the email i sent before this trip and just asked if it would be possible to make a fuss of my DS, I did not make any suggestions as to what I expected to get and we were so so grateful and overwhelmed with what he received. The only extra I actually enquired about was the free sticker kids get at City Hall and just to see if it was still done.

I would walk over hot coals to get back there right now :'( best trip ever, we made so many happy memories.

Only 1 year and 3+ months until we return, only!

Oh and Cherry he's wolfing down peas and nectarines ever since, and this from a child whos only veg/fruit intake was the odd raisin!

Little does he know the amount of carrots and onions which get mushed into his food but to willingly eat them, Im shocked. So DLP has dietary benefits aswel as the cultural ones! Any excuse to talk DH around!

Oh and Cherry he's wolfing down peas and nectarines ever since, and this from a child whos only veg/fruit intake was the odd raisin!

Little does he know the amount of carrots and onions which get mushed into his food but to willingly eat them, Im shocked. So DLP has dietary benefits aswel as the cultural ones! Any excuse to talk DH around!

:rotfl: Perhaps DLP should be on prescription! :goodvibes

kizzabel said:
Sorry for my absence. Depression session here! No DLP for 60 weeks. Uuuugh. Feels torture like already.

poor you! Sounds like it was fantastic. Despite poor Ds upset but like you say he will be horsing into the veggies and fruit lol. More highs than lows definitely a good sign cannot wait to see photos & get all the details! Love the rosie dust I bet Ds was thrilled! Hurry up with trip report ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter