Highs and Lows 21/11/13 - 25/11/13

A dream is a wish

Mouseketeer
It's been a little while since we got back so I'm a bit late adding this, uni keeps getting in the way of my fun. I didn’t even have the time to do a PTR :sad1:

We stayed at Hotel New York from 21/11/13 to 25/11/13. On the trip was me and Chloe (7) and our friends Rachael, Jit and Dylan (2).

Highs

Hotel New York – What an amazing hotel! I loved it, the staff were all so lovely and couldn’t do more for us (apart from one which I’ll explain in the lows).

The parks in all their Christmas finery.

Christmas dreams – Wow!

The Christmas Cavalcade was really good too.

The tree lighting – I loved how the lights changed colour in time with the music.

Character meets – We had some brilliant character meets (Sandy Claws and Sally were FAB) and we met so many new characters. In fact on this trip we met more characters than we have before!

Food – We had a great meal at Auberge – they’ve added more options to the menu which I think will be popular, I had the beef, it was perfect! Also we had lovely meals at Blue Lagoon and the buffet in HNY, I can’t remember what it’s called at the moment.

Crowds – This was a high and a low really. The Thursday, Friday and Monday were so quiet, on Thursday the queue times for all of the rides in the Studios was 5 minutes, apart from Crush which was 15 minutes! Saturday was horrendous, that’s the only way to describe it, it was much worse than the summer so many people were there! Sunday was better, particularly early evening, but I think if we go back again for a Christmas trip we’ll stick to weekdays.

Lows

I have one major low – I’m not allowed to live there! I think this is extremely unfair :rotfl:

Rachael and Jit had a couple of lows.

Meals – They didn’t really have a good experience with their meals. The only one they really enjoyed was the meal we all had at the buffet in HNY. They ate at Planet Hollywood, they didn’t eat very much of their meals, Rachael actually said her ribs were so salty she couldn’t eat it and wasn’t feeling great after it. They also were really let down by Pizza Planet, they said the food was really bad. Café Mickey disappointed them as well, me and Chloe ate there a different day and shared a pizza and garlic bread and it was fine but Rachael and Jit had the Italian burger and were not impressed. They were also charged an obscene amount of money for Dylan to have a bowl of chips and an orange juice. They were charged 8 euros for one of them, I think it was the orange juice!

They also had a bad encounter with a CM at the hotel. On the day we were leaving we all had breakfast together but me and Chloe left to go to the parks while they finished. Dylan wasn’t himself and was sick after we left. The staff in the restaurant were great by the sounds of it and they left to change him. As we were leaving that day we’d all dropped our luggage off so they couldn’t go and dump the clothes in a bag in the case. Jit went in to the shop and explained the situation and asked if he could have a bag to put Dylan’s clothes in to go on the pushchair and he was told no and that he had to buy something to get a bag. From the sounds of it the CM was quite rude, so he just bought a bottle of pop so that they could have a bag. When they were leaving the hotel they stopped at reception and said what a lovely holiday they’ve had and how good the hotel and staff have been and the only thing that had bothered them was the CM in the shop who had upset them. They were told that they aren’t supposed to give bags out but given the circumstances they should have been given one. They were just leaving the hotel and the woman came after them and said by way of apology Dylan could have a free pin badge or balloon! That wasn’t expected, but was really nice.

Overall, we all had a great holiday as always! It really is my happy place pixiedust:

Sounds like you had a great time. The park is so nice with all the Christmas stuff.

HNY is good too - the buffet is in the Parkside Diner - we like it there too.

Nice that the hotel made it up to your friends with something from the shop.

Thanks for posting :goodvibes

Welcome back! :wave: Sounds as if you had a brilliant trip and the Christmas extras sound so exciting. Just a shame your friends didn't have such a good experience with the dining but glad you had some great meals.

Happy Christmas! :santa:

Wow!! Sounds amazing!!
We are there from Dec 22nd to Dec 27th and can't wait!!
What time is the tree lighting ceremony and what happens!!
This is our first trip to DLP and we are so excited.

Sounds like a fab trip!!! Wish we could go for xmas but I fear it can never happen with holidays.

What was the new menu at Auberge? Will they cook the beef as opposed to serving it still alive? ;) I really hope we enjoy the food more than last time.

Sounds like you had a great time. The park is so nice with all the Christmas stuff.

HNY is good too - the buffet is in the Parkside Diner - we like it there too.

Nice that the hotel made it up to your friends with something from the shop.

Thanks for posting :goodvibes

Parkside Diner - that's it, I can never remember the name of it!

Welcome back! :wave: Sounds as if you had a brilliant trip and the Christmas extras sound so exciting. Just a shame your friends didn't have such a good experience with the dining but glad you had some great meals.

Happy Christmas! :santa:

Thank you, it really was lovely. Merry Christmas to you :santa:

Wow!! Sounds amazing!!
We are there from Dec 22nd to Dec 27th and can't wait!!
What time is the tree lighting ceremony and what happens!!
This is our first trip to DLP and we are so excited.

Oh wow, I'm so jealous!!! I'd love to spend Christmas there, I've been considering going for Christmas next year as we wont be able to do a summer trip because I wont have the time off.

It was at 6pm I think, we only just caught it so I'm not sure what happens by the tree but there are Christmas songs and the lights hanging in the middle of Main Street and on the tree change colour in time with the music. It doesn't sound that great but it really was brilliant!

I hope you have a fantastic first trip, I cannot wait to hear about it! :goodvibes

Sounds like a fab trip!!! Wish we could go for xmas but I fear it can never happen with holidays.

What was the new menu at Auberge? Will they cook the beef as opposed to serving it still alive? ;) I really hope we enjoy the food more than last time.

The menu change was quite a big one, on the trip last November a couple of things were slightly different compared to when we'd been there the in the July but then the menu didn't change at all before we went in August this year.

The starters were all new, I was worried as I love the salmon starter there, I think there were 3 options. I had the salmon and it was 3 times the size of the old starters, it was huge and so good! I know one of the other starters was some kind of salmon, the people sitting next to us in there had it, that was also huge. I'm sure there used to be 3 mains offered and then the chefs recommendation, now there's 5. I asked for it well done, I have it medium at home but I was worried. It was well cooked, no pink at all and it was so tender. Also it was huge, I couldn't believe the size of it! Still forced it down, it was too nice not to :rotfl: The dessert is the same, I'm not that fussed about it but in August Chloe was given a new children's dessert and it was amazing. When my dessert came she decided she didn't want hers, she just wanted the chocolate from mine, so we switched :hyper: neither of us could finish them though. I do think this change will be much more popular, especially as there's more choice now.

The menu change was quite a big one, on the trip last November a couple of things were slightly different compared to when we'd been there the in the July but then the menu didn't change at all before we went in August this year.

The starters were all new, I was worried as I love the salmon starter there, I think there were 3 options. I had the salmon and it was 3 times the size of the old starters, it was huge and so good! I know one of the other starters was some kind of salmon, the people sitting next to us in there had it, that was also huge. I'm sure there used to be 3 mains offered and then the chefs recommendation, now there's 5. I asked for it well done, I have it medium at home but I was worried. It was well cooked, no pink at all and it was so tender. Also it was huge, I couldn't believe the size of it! Still forced it down, it was too nice not to :rotfl: The dessert is the same, I'm not that fussed about it but in August Chloe was given a new children's dessert and it was amazing. When my dessert came she decided she didn't want hers, she just wanted the chocolate from mine, so we switched :hyper: neither of us could finish them though. I do think this change will be much more popular, especially as there's more choice now.

This sounds much more promising! Thank you!!!

I've just realised I'd written salmon twice for the starters! The people at the table had some kind of salad so I know that was available. I must have just been dreaming about the salmon when I was typing :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter