Highest Rating is 3 Star?

ntsammy5

DIS Veteran
I just don't get it. I like staying at different resorts in WDW and always enjoy myself, but reading the threads you'd think that Disney has the best hotels in the world! PEOPLE. The highest rated hotels are only 3 star hotels! There are no 4 or 5 star hotels on property! I checked GF, CR and YC and they are all only 3 star so I assume that none of the others are higher rated. For the prices they charge we all deserve better!

Ratings vary by the organization that does the rating. I find it hard to believe that the deluxes are three star properties (not questioning the OP, just the ratings). I travel often and those properties are most definitely four stars.

The ratings should take into consideration the entire property, not just the rooms.

I just don't get it. I like staying at different resorts in WDW and always enjoy myself, but reading the threads you'd think that Disney has the best hotels in the world! PEOPLE. The highest rated hotels are only 3 star hotels! There are no 4 or 5 star hotels on property! I checked GF, CR and YC and they are all only 3 star so I assume that none of the others are higher rated. For the prices they charge we all deserve better!

Where did you check? Can you please provide the website or name of the rating service?

The prices you pay I would imagine are heavily dependant on what the market will stand. In any rate I think that the ranking system for a disney hotel is different than standard hotels. Is a 3 star disney hotel the same as a 3 star non-disney hotel?

location and amenities play a role in price. A 4-star hotel in a suburb of any-state-USA may charge $175 per night (hypothetical...just making up an example). That very same hotel gets picked up and moved to Las Vegas, Grand Cayman Island, or Aruba...exact same hotel, different location - they could easily double the price.

So regardless of the "true" ratings of Disney hotels, a lot more goes into the prices. I just stayed at the Yacht Club in November - our first visit in 12 years...and I would easily give it a 4-star. Opinions will vary.

Mobil rates them all three stars. AAA rates most of them four diamonds, I think a couple only hit three diamonds. Mobil's standards are generally somewhat higher than AAA's. I don't pay attention to any other rating system, most are not independent--although I'll pay attention to what a magazine like Travel & Leisure writes about a place, and Michelin is usually reliable.

In all honesty I think that many of the resorts that get four diamonds from AAA should really be three diamonds. None of the WDW resorts deserves four stars under Mobil's criteria, many should probably only get two.

ETA--Price is not a factor in the ratings. A $1000 a night suite can get one star while a $50 a night small room could earn five, as long as the service, amenities, and comfort are adequate.

I was surprised too but not too much. Up until a three years ago, I traveled over 50 days a year and have stayed at hundreds of hotels from no star to 5 star! Look at this website that explains how Mobil rates hotels. They are at least consistent and IMO reasonably accurate. Where Disney is lacking is one of the things that people praise them for -- SERVICE.

http://mobiltravelguide.howstuffworks.com/about-the-rating-channel.htm

grenade.gif

i would comment that Disney hotels ARE among the best in the world... at things like themes, location, etc. and with AAA they have a number of 4-diamond properties for 2008:

Beach Club & Yacht Club
Contemporary
Grand Floridian
Polynesian

i would comment that Disney hotels ARE among the best in the world... at things like themes, location, etc. and with AAA they have a number of 4-diamond properties for 2008:

Beach Club & Yacht Club
Contemporary
Grand Floridian
Polynesian

Interesting, I haven't actually looked at the ratings in years. They used to all be four diamond--even the values and moderates. Looks like AAA supports what many of us know--WDW is slipping. Prices are going up and the resorts are going down.

i only found 2 properties around disney with mobil 4-star (none 5)

peabody
four seasons

These are a different class of hotels than even the GF
I guess we'll have to see if Disney wants to move it back into that league or not...

i only found 2 properties around disney with mobil 4-star (none 5)

peabody
four seasons

These are a different class of hotels than even the GF
I guess we'll have to see if Disney wants to move it back into that league or not...

Sorry, I meant diamond in the above post. I don't believe that any WDW property has ever achieved a four star award from Mobil.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter