Higher protein, lower carb snacks?

honestly its hard at disney to eat right but not impossible. lost 70 lbs 3 years ago and i did weight watchers and still do it to this day. i agree with most of the people where diets dont exist at disney. that being said, i dont completely go off the deep end. i make sure that i am mindful, eat suger free/farr free things when offered, do like you say and go for higher protein things but im not going to go totally out of my way for it. its disney its one week live a little. you walk soooo much more there than regular life that you will burn off more calories. there are healthy options at every snack stand/restaurant

but i do bring my own snacks, i bring my WW bars, snacks, oatmeal for breakfast in the room so that also saves me money and calories/carbs, bring along prepackaged meats to snack on to help you out. find the balance you need to keep you okay with eating off your plan on vacation

My wife, who eats high protein / low carb, found one of the Chip and Dale trail mixes to be her favorite snack at WDW.

Cheese plates.
Turkey Leg.
Pork Shank.

I follow a keto diet when prepping for a show, but there's no chance of me dieting in Disney lol.
I'd say pack some Quest bars and grab a Turkey leg now and then :)

Thank you everyone for your replies. I ~have~ lost weight (about 63 pounds, and still losing), but this isn't at all about the calories. I will seriously indulge in a lot of bad treats at WDW. I just know that if I only eat sugar and carbs, I'll start feeling bad and probably just want to go back to the room. That's not the most fun way to spend a day when I could be in Magic Kingdom or Epcot :-) Of course, my husband will disagree. Every time I ask him what he wants to do on the trip, it involves us being in the room, enjoying our alone time :rolleyes1 He's such a boy.

A blessing in disguise - when I found out I couldn't eat potatoes. Seriously, if you give up starchy potatoes, you can be much closer to a low-carb life-style. In the parks, fries, mashed potatoes, chips, or some other form of potato is a common side dish. Skip that alone... you can still have the eggs and sausage and bacon at breakfast; and steak, fish, chicken, or pork dinners midday or at night, with salad, cooked veggies &/or apple slices for a side.

As far as sweets are concerned, they do have some no sugar added frozen strawberry fruit bars at some carts, which can be nice on a hot day. You can also skip sugary pineapple juice or root beer for diet coke in a float (ice cream/dole whip may still be carby, but you'll cut it at least in half by doing this). There a few various other sugar-free/no sugar added desserts around.

I like your concept of balance though. It's unrealistic, and can be a form of torture, to give up all sweets and carby things on a Disney vacation. I'm with you on the not wanting to feel not-right on vacation! Too much sugar and lack of nutritious food does make me a little funky.

One thing we found that helped was eating a bowl of plain greek yogurt with nuts and berries before going into the park. Also, those squeeze packs of nut butters are good to carry. I can eat an almond butter with a banana and an iced coffee with skim milk (no sugar) and feel like I've had such a treat!

I like the dark chocolate covered pineapple spears at Karmel Kuche in Germany at EPCOT. No high protein, but no super high carb. A lot of the snack stands have fresh fruit. The turkey legs are a meal in themselves. I would rather get a quick service meal and limit the carbs. Also, several quick service locations will do a side of sliced apples instead of fries. All the starbucks locations have boiled eggs on hand. It's easier for me sometimes to do less carbs with a meal and more with a snack. So I might get a pulled pork slaw dog at Casey's with no bun and sliced apples or a smoked turkey garden salad at Diamond Horeshoe. Then I don't feel crappy if my snack is higher carb.

We generally eat a Paleo/Primal diet and while I'm sure we will have our fair share of treats on vacation I don't think we will eat out more than one meal and one snack per day. I'm going to bring our own trail mix, yogurt, hard boiled eggs and EPIC bars (which are great!) for protein and healthy fat. And I plan to cook sausage, eggs, and/or bacon in the mornings for breakfast so we get a good start to the day. While I LOVE carbs and bread I have realized how awful they make me feel and I know that to enjoy my vacation I can't overindulge.

I live a low carb lifestyle. Not during my Disney Vacation. It's my vacation from my diet. I tried maintaining the diet once. The kitchen sink ruined that. Then I discovered the dessert parties and midnight cheesecake.

The diet gets bagged during Disney.

This will be me ... I've been doing the paleo diet since July 1st but I cannot see how to do it in WDW AND be happy! Not likely!

Edamame?

We like like them as they are tasty with salt and fun to push them out of the shell (like pea pods). We once got them at AK but I can't find them on a menu now. You can get them at Katsura Grill at Epcot World Showcase.

We have been eating low carb lately, and it's HARD. However, I feel so much better eating this way. My plan in Disney is to try and get a salad/low carb option once every 2 days. Other than that, I'm getting what I want! I allow myself 2 cheat meals a week now and it's enough. I'm secretly hoping that I will simply NOT WANT anything other than low carb options. And 'Ohana bread pudding. And a mickey pretzel. And popcorn from Karamell Kuche. And a cronut. And mickey waffles.....

Great thread, this is an issue for me also. I want to enjoy myself have some of the treats, but if I don't balance them with high protein snacks I'll end up feeling horrible. I think I better put together some snacks I can take with me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter