High velocity hand dryers

ArielRae

DIS Veteran (NJ)
These are popping up everywhere. Anyone else hate these things? They are so loud in the restrooms. Has anyone measured how loud these things are and the impact on our hearing? Especially in small restrooms it is even louder. People you don't need to hold your hands 3inches from the fans to dry your hands thus causing it to make a loud screaming noise. You can do as good of a job holding your hands 12inches from the fan and you cut that loud high pitched noise. It is horrible in very popular restrooms where these things are going off nonstop and it is so incredibly loud it's horrible. I find myself holding my ears just to take a leak. :sad2:

I'm with you, I hate those things. I wear earplugs when I go in restrooms that have them, which seems to be most of them these days. They really are horrible. What's wrong with paper towels?

I'll disagree and say that I love them--they're the only hand dryers that actually get my hands dry instead of leaving them just warmly damp. The dyson ones are particularly excellent (and quieter), but I'll take a normal high velocity dryer over a regular dryer any day.

I'll disagree and say that I love them--they're the only hand dryers that actually get my hands dry instead of leaving them just warmly damp. The dyson ones are particularly excellent (and quieter), but I'll take a normal high velocity dryer over a regular dryer any day.

Same here

I also love them. Not a fan of wasting a bunch of paper towels (that irks me more than a little noise) and I like to be in and out of the restroom as quickly as possible. I can see your point though.

I despise any/all types of electronic hand dryers. I can't stand loud noises in confined places, so I never use them.

Also, nothing irritates me more than going into a bathroom and needing to wipe something and there being nothing but air dryers (ex: if you're feeling hot, dampen a paper towel and wipe your face...feel better!).

I hate them. My youngest is so scared of them that she's had accidents rather than go into a bathroom with that screaming noise running constantly. Between hand dryers and auto-flush toilets, I'm very glad she's the last child I will ever have to potty train! It is starting to get better now that she's 5, but at 3 taking her to a public restroom was a royal pain in the rear.

Driving back from our vacation last Saturday, we had to stop at some rest area bathrooms. Of course they're always awful, but there was one where it felt like it would be only half as unpleasant if it weren't for the constantly SCREAMING hand dryers. No other word to describe the noise. It was absolutely hellish.

They are a little loud but not louder than, say, a vacuum. Do you have to wear earplugs to vacuum? Maybe it's a thing with your hearing range?

Seriously - I am just happy if people wash their hands. Would never dream of complaining about dryer noise

I can't even imagine how much time you'd have to spend in a public restroom before the sound level of an automatic hand dryer would even begin to have the slightest effect on your hearing. :confused3

I thought there couldn't be anything lurking in the bathroom that could scare my kids more than auto-flush toilets. I was wrong.

Same here.

I love those things. Every time I use one I think I need a full body one in my bathroom for after my shower. :)

Restroom owners have to deal with debris left behind by the paper towels that end up on the floor, in soggy masses in/on the sinks etc. Then there is the maintenance and cost of keeping the towel dispensers filled.

The auto toilets were in response to the fact that many people who use public facilities don't flush. It seems like something we would all just naturally do but if that were the case, there would be not need for the auto flush.

The high velocity hand dryers as many have said, actually get your hands dry. I prefer them over the wimpy dryers that leave hands damp and am actually thankful when I encounter them. Yes, the noise is awful but so is the noise of the screaming baby getting their diaper changed. Restrooms are not intended to be a spa like space.

Another person here who detests those things! I find myself leaving the restroom with wet hands when several of those wind tunnels are in use. ugh.

I like them. My youngest likes the ones where you have to move your hands. A little quieter but I like the high powered ones. They dry my hands.
I do see the point of needing a towel. but in that case, I would just grab some TP. Better than nothing. :)

I love them.. They actually dry my hands. I love the air blades too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter