High Speed Rail to Dover

Are the high speed trains better or does it really matter?
HST are better but to be honest the standard SouthEastern are modem and OK and if you do not travel weekday rush hours could well be better with rail works. I would use either.

Care done trains of eight cars " split" at Faversham or Ashford. Be in the correct part of the train.
Good advice. I havent decided between the Premier Inn at Waterloo, st Pancras, or Victoria. Victoria seems like its the easiest transportation wise. I think there's a bus from Heathrow to Victoria station that is relatively cheap. If I stay in Waterloo Im guessing Charing cross is the closest train station to Dover. St Pancras has the high speed train, but the area doesnt seem that interesting. I could be wrong on that. Waterloo looks like the best area, but not easy to get to from Heathrow, and no direct trains.

We wanted the high speed trains just because I think my kids will think it's cool going 140 mph in a train. It's going to be a little more expensive in cab fares since we decided to stay at the Rubens (just south of Buckingham Palace), but I also thought the area around St. Pancras didn't look as interesting.

I believe out of Victoria its 2 hours or so, but no transfering to a bus. I think we will probably take that route.

When I look at the Victoria route (southeastern), it says there is a replacement bus. Am I looking at the right place? Perhaps another line?

I've been using the "trainline website". There is a direct at 837 and 907 both are 2hours 3mins. This is on Friday June 17.

I checked May 29 there is no direct out of Victoria. Maybe because it's a Sunday?

Last edited:
Another piece of information : if you booked a high speed train before it got changed to train + bus you are eligible for a refund.

I've been using the "trainline website". There is a direct at 837 and 907 both are 2hours 3mins. This is on Friday June 17.

I checked May 29 there is no direct out of Victoria. Maybe because it's a Sunday?
Track work. They normally do run at least hourly. On a bank holiday weekend- this is one, they often close tracks to undertake work.

We wanted the high speed trains just because I think my kids will think it's cool going 140 mph in a train. It's going to be a little more expensive in cab fares since we decided to stay at the Rubens (just south of Buckingham Palace), but I also thought the area around St. Pancras didn't look as interesting.
My kids are 12 and 13 and I don't think they have ever been on a train, subway(tube) etc. We live in a city where mass transit is nonexistent. We travel a lot, but we just always take taxis. My favorite form of transportation is walking. When we travel I like to stay in the heart of everything so I can walk to almost everywhere I want to go. London seems very spread out. I agree it's hard to get a feel for the best area to stay in.

My kids are 12 and 13 and I don't think they have ever been on a train, subway(tube) etc. We live in a city where mass transit is nonexistent. We travel a lot, but we just always take taxis. My favorite form of transportation is walking. When we travel I like to stay in the heart of everything so I can walk to almost everywhere I want to go. London seems very spread out. I agree it's hard to get a feel for the best area to stay in.
I think anything fairly central with close by tube/DLR/Overground stop would be ok. We are staying at Imperial Wharf (thanks to HHonors points) and there is an Overground station right next to the hotel as well as a Tesco Express right across the street...

I think anything fairly central with close by tube/DLR/Overground stop would be ok. We are staying at Imperial Wharf (thanks to HHonors points) and there is an Overground station right next to the hotel as well as a Tesco Express right across the street...
Nice to have points. The prices in London are a bit shocking. London makes Disney World resorts look cheap.

Person who lives in Folkestone here! I'm not 100% which side you catch the replacement bus from, but I can find out. If it's from the Platform 1 side (TO London) that would mean getting luggage down a flight of stairs, through a quick tunnel and then up a flight of stairs). My DH takes the high speed to London every day so let me know if you want that info!

I generally see more taxis just sitting waiting at Folkestone Central (personal observation, don't quote me on it). Alternatively you could arrange a taxi, my personal favourite is Premier Taxis Folkestone. Several people from my Norway/Iceland cruise used them last year and no one had issues, plus they're the ones I keep in my mobile phone when I need a taxi :) You'd need to be clear that you have lots of luggage. We took a taxi home last year and it cost £15; that said, the speed limit on the motorway from Folkestone TO Dover is 40mph at the moment (never-ending "trial" apparently), while Dover TO Folkestone is 70mph so we probably got home faster than anyone would get to Dover (long-winded sentence, does that make sense?!).

For St Pancras, just tell a taxi driver that you need the entrance for the High Speed/Kent services. I've never had to say anything more than that. There is a lift right there plus 2 escalators.

The High Speed trains are definitely better. The start-stop of the slow train drove me mad both times I had to take it. Plus the high speed trains have electrical sockets.

Person who lives in Folkestone here! I'm not 100% which side you catch the replacement bus from, but I can find out. If it's from the Platform 1 side (TO London) that would mean getting luggage down a flight of stairs, through a quick tunnel and then up a flight of stairs). My DH takes the high speed to London every day so let me know if you want that info!

I generally see more taxis just sitting waiting at Folkestone Central (personal observation, don't quote me on it). Alternatively you could arrange a taxi, my personal favourite is Premier Taxis Folkestone. Several people from my Norway/Iceland cruise used them last year and no one had issues, plus they're the ones I keep in my mobile phone when I need a taxi :) You'd need to be clear that you have lots of luggage. We took a taxi home last year and it cost £15; that said, the speed limit on the motorway from Folkestone TO Dover is 40mph at the moment (never-ending "trial" apparently), while Dover TO Folkestone is 70mph so we probably got home faster than anyone would get to Dover (long-winded sentence, does that make sense?!).

For St Pancras, just tell a taxi driver that you need the entrance for the High Speed/Kent services. I've never had to say anything more than that. There is a lift right there plus 2 escalators.

The High Speed trains are definitely better. The start-stop of the slow train drove me mad both times I had to take it. Plus the high speed trains have electrical sockets.
Great summary.

I've also looked into taxi service. Blackberry taxis is 120£ from central London to Dover port. Something else to consider.

Thanks for all your input. Sounds like I should book the high speed train to Folkestone Central (not West), and have previously arranged for premier to pick us up there (or, just call them when I leave St. Pancras, tell them I need an MPV to take 5 people with luggage to Dover, and they should be able to accommodate that)?

I've also looked into taxi service. Blackberry taxis is 120£ from central London to Dover port. Something else to consider.

most of the taxi quotes I get from central london are in the 180-220 range -- we need an MPV that can seat at least 5 with 5 pieces of luggage plus 5 backpacks.

most of the taxi quotes I get from central london are in the 180-220 range -- we need an MPV that can seat at least 5 with 5 pieces of luggage plus 5 backpacks.
This quote was for an estate car. 3 checked backs and 3 carryon for four people.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter