High School Class of 2016/College Class 2020

We also have a 2016 daughter who wants to do physical therapy and we've started looking into 6year direct entry programs.

Her schedule next year is
Honors physics
Honors English
Pre-calc
Ap psych/AP sociology
PE -life guarding. (PE req all 4 yrs here)
AP Spanish 4
Fine arts elective-- I think ceramics

I have a daughter going to Iowa state for engineering and they have an AMAZING program!!! She has done really well and had an awesome internship this past fall. All of her engineering friends have had really great internships and experiences. The schools not too hard to get junto, but they really weed out freshman year. Also, being a larger school there are many options if they want to change majors. Also, being in state it would be a bargain.

I also have a son at a small engineering school in Wisconsin. He loves it too, but it's very different and mostly engineering focused. Very expensive, but he did get a great merit scholarship

Yes, Iowa State is probably where she is headed. She will have no problem meeting the minimum requirements for guaranteed admission as an instate student. She has big dreams, but it will come down to financial aid/scholarships. Ames is only 30 minutes away, she has been on campus many times for school events and summer camps.

She's been focused on engineering for years now, loves chemistry, physics, and computers. Not interested in biology/medicine at all. Our high school offers 2 engineering classes, she's finishing the 2nd year right now. There are further classes offered thru the community college but the schedule conflicts with band.

Where is your son attending?

Thank you.

We are also starting to look at 4 year schools that cater to students with learning disabilities, but most are quite costly.

But yes, a Trade/Tech school is ok too.

I think he will be going into something in the line of graphic design or some sort of art. His talents lie in that area.

Dawn

Nothing wrong with a Trade / Tech school! My DH did that. We certainly aren't rich and he'll never be a CEO, but he makes a decent living. I was able to be a SAHM for quite a while and I still only work part time. We have a nice home, take frequent vacations and my kids have what they need.

Hope things continue to go well!

Yes, Iowa State is probably where she is headed. She will have no problem meeting the minimum requirements for guaranteed admission as an instate student. She has big dreams, but it will come down to financial aid/scholarships. Ames is only 30 minutes away, she has been on campus many times for school events and summer camps.

She's been focused on engineering for years now, loves chemistry, physics, and computers. Not interested in biology/medicine at all. Our high school offers 2 engineering classes, she's finishing the 2nd year right now. There are further classes offered thru the community college but the schedule conflicts with band.

Where is your son attending?

My son attends Milwaukee school of Engineering. They only have about 3000 students but he really likes the school and the city. They gave a good amount of scholarships so we pay about the same as IA state ( but we pay out of state less IL merit scholarships). Marquette is also good but lots more $$$

Finally figured out DD's schedule next year:

Precalc
US History
AP Lang
AP Chem
Honors Spanish 3

She could add an elective but only could do it for one semester because she has to drop out when swimming starts and our school doesn't have any semester long classes. We think she might be a teacher's assistant until swimming begins but I don't mind if she just has extra time to study.

Plans for the summer include getting her license, working part-time as a lifeguard, going to a 10 day precollege program in business, and studying for the SATS especially the verbal part.

Also hoping she will get some relaxation in before the all important junior year begins! Can't wait for this year to be over!

Did everyone's year end on a successful note?

DD is excited to officially be a junior. She made the honor roll all year last year, had the highest average in English II and made choir and the a capella group again for her junior year.

Her English teacher gave her the needed reference to take Accelerated English II next year (not sure how it works elsewhere but here its state test scores, gpa and teacher reference), but she couldn't work it out with her schedule, get in everything she needs and stay in choir. We are ok with that and support her commitment to choir.

Spanish, Choir, Eng II and Geography/Economics (9 week classes)--first term

A&P, Choir, US History, Health/Family Dynamics (required class of all students that NONE of them get a whole lot out of)

Not as many plans this summer as she usually has. She declined the mission trip this year and won't have any choir camps or practices until school starts. She is just taking it easy and spending time with friends. I am enjoying it so far too because she has the time to keep the house clean! :goodvibes

I wish this year had ended! DS finishes on June 25th. He has finals the week of the 16th, so that will be fun as always...nothing like a tired, cranky, anxious teen!

We just found out he got a spot on Wednesday nights for a SAT prep class, so we are pleased. He will be doing that and the associated homework, reading 5 British Literature books (2 assigned -- Othello and The Picture of Dorian Gray, 3 he chooses of the list), a pre-calc math packet, and he says he wants to do his junior research paper this summer. It is a graduation requirement but I think he's going to run out of time. I forgot to mention he has to do the summer pre-work for his AP U.S. History and A.P. Writing classes. He wants to have everything done before our WDW vacation. I am amazed at the workload he has in the summer. He will have an essay test on the books the first few days of school, so it isn't like they can just enjoy the books. Back in the Stone Age when I was in high school we didn't have to do anything at all during the summer. In any case, just bought tickets this morning for Villains Unleashed!

Maria :upsidedow

Soooo glad dd doesn't have that amount of work over the summer. She has, in the past, had required reading but they took the required state test at the end of the year of 10th grade, so they have a bit of time off before getting going in the 11th grade.

They will start working hot and heavy on Senior projects in the fall (many of them work on them for 2 years total) and getting ready for the last state test of high school--US History. Add to that concert choir and the smaller ensembles will really be amped up this year with school required concerts added to the concerts already planned annually, more competitions and more work to be done leading up to district and state. The next two years are going to be a worldwind so hopefully she will enjoy this little break.

She has been blessed the past two years having the same teacher in Eng I and II. She managed to get them ready for the state test and incorporate lots of literature in the process. The Eng II test is one of the hardest they have to take, so its almost like you hear on huge collective sigh of relief from the high school after its done. Before that they work hard and long through 9th and 10th grades to get ready for it and get everything else they need too.

I hear you on the mandated state testing! It is not that it is that difficult, it's just they spend a lot of time getting ready for the tests. DS had the mandatory science test in 9th grade, this year was math, and next year will be English. If they score well enough on all three they earn a scholarship which provides free tuition at a state school. Which sounds great, until you realize tuition is a fraction of the cost, our state school's have all the costs in the fees.

Your DD is going to be one busy young lady! I empathize, my ds is a theater kid so he's in a fall play, spring musical, juried play, and 3-4 Improv shows -- which makes for a lot of practice time instead of homework time.

I often feel like I'm walking a tightrope. I know he is doing his best, but I want to encourage him to work harder yet still have fun. I'm trying to find a balance between pushing him and letting him enjoy his high school years. I have been known to push too hard, and I feel like I'm a work in progress. I'll probably get it figured out just as he graduates ;)

Today is the last day of school for DD16!!! :cool1::banana::yay:

I could not be more excited. This has been a very rough year for her in general and I am so glad it is over. ::yes::

We are hosting her annual "last day of school" pool party and I am excited to see all of the girls. I keep expecting her to make it a boy/girl party but, so far the girls are happy with the all girls tradition. I think they just like to pig out on pizza without anyone seeing them. LOL :laughing: This is the 6th year and I am going to cherish the few we have left.

Today is the last day of school for DD16!!! :cool1::banana::yay:

I could not be more excited. This has been a very rough year for her in general and I am so glad it is over. ::yes::

We are hosting her annual "last day of school" pool party and I am excited to see all of the girls. I keep expecting her to make it a boy/girl party but, so far the girls are happy with the all girls tradition. I think they just like to pig out on pizza without anyone seeing them. LOL :laughing: This is the 6th year and I am going to cherish the few we have left.

The pool party sounds like a blast! What a fantastic way to end the year and a great tradition! This year has just seemed to drag on since April vacation week. Summer is going to be a great break!

I hear you on the mandated state testing! It is not that it is that difficult, it's just they spend a lot of time getting ready for the tests. DS had the mandatory science test in 9th grade, this year was math, and next year will be English. If they score well enough on all three they earn a scholarship which provides free tuition at a state school. Which sounds great, until you realize tuition is a fraction of the cost, our state school's have all the costs in the fees.

Your DD is going to be one busy young lady! I empathize, my ds is a theater kid so he's in a fall play, spring musical, juried play, and 3-4 Improv shows -- which makes for a lot of practice time instead of homework time.

I often feel like I'm walking a tightrope. I know he is doing his best, but I want to encourage him to work harder yet still have fun. I'm trying to find a balance between pushing him and letting him enjoy his high school years. I have been known to push too hard, and I feel like I'm a work in progress. I'll probably get it figured out just as he graduates ;)

I hear you about the scholarships! Hoping dd will get the ACT scholarship. She will have my employee scholarship that pays tuition, but with fees, books, dorm costs and meal plans tuition is the least of all of it! Between the choir scholarships, my employee scholarship and ACT all of that could be paid for.

She has taken parts and pieces of the ACT (they take practice tests in their academic classes) and has scored high enough in every area, just hoping she does as well when its all put together!

It is hard to find a balance. Choir is a big thing for dd but sometimes I wonder if she feels like she misses out on some of the stuff at school due to performances, competitions and practice. She has never said as much but it doesn't keep me from worrying. I did the same thing with ds in baseball, but he always assured me that he was right where he wanted to be.

DD finished her first 2 finals this week, and the last 2 will be Monday and Tuesday. Then she will officially be a junior!

She will be pretty busy this summer- her new high school requires 60 volunteer hours over summer at a single agency, so she (and I) will be working 3 days a week at a local food bank. She is also finally taking driver's education- that will be a 2 week course the second half of June. She also will have a few summer social opportunities to meet some of her new classmates before she has to report to her new dorm in mid August.

Her academic requirements for the summer are to take a science online course (kind of a getting ready for the rigors of her new high school's science program thing) and summer reading for American Studies.

Official registration hasn't taken place yet, but she is fairly certain of the classes she will be requesting:

-American Studies (3 trimester combination of American Lit and American history)
-AP Chemistry (2 trimesters)
-precalculus (3 trimesters)
-Latin (they have her slotted into intro right now, but she is hoping to bump up to intermediate after a weeklong assessment period)
-Physics as her 3rd trimester science
-Pilates and Yoga as PE requirement
-varsity soccer as PE requirement
-other electives- possibly ceramics, piano, or other arts course

As for mom and dad, we are buying dorm necessities, chauffeuring her back and forth to classes, friends' houses, and activities, and just trying to wrap our brains around the fact that our baby will be leaving us in August.:sad:

Last day of finals here! Woo hoo! DD is already home and making her summer homework list and reminded me to try and find her an ACT prep course. Oh, well! I wish she was going to HannaBelle's pool party instead! :rotfl:

Finals scores are rolling in online and it looks like it may be straight A's! She's been just outside the top 5% of her class and hoping make it inside!

She earned a Driver's Ed waiver. So, she may not have to take the driver's portion when she goes to get her license. That's kind of nice.

Auditioned and made the high choir.

Took the National Spanish Exams and scored either highest or 2nd highest in her school.

Earned a scholarship to a (short, but sleep-away) summer camp.

As proud of her as I am, it has been a long hard year and I often feel like she is missing out on her youth. She's all about grades, transcripts and scholarships. I am hoping to help her make the most of this summer! We have a few trips planned (lumping college visits in with fun stuff). Which is pretty exciting for us, because we never take summer trips (not a good time to take off work for DH) so we are doing them girls only! She also has some exciting musical opportunities lined up. It's all probably going to fly by!

So, now we get to say we have Juniors, right?! :eek:

Yes, we have juniors!

How is summer going? Things are fast and furious for us. We leave this Saturday to spend a week at a resort with DH family on Lake Conroe. It is here in TX and will be a "short" drive. I am excited to spend the week goofing off and enjoying my family.

DD is not interested in visiting any colleges and I am trying not to pressure her. I might try to target spring break for a few visits next year.

Haven't checked in here in so long that I've forgotten what I've posted about.

I can't believe how fast this year flew by! Both of my kids even commented on it. DS16 received his schedule for next year along with his report card in the mail. He made High Honor roll. Yay! (Just have to mention that my DS13 also made High Honor roll for the very first time ever. So proud of his hard work) His schedule for next year looks like this: Principles of Engineering, AP Us History, Honors Chemistry, Pre-Calculus, Honors English, Spanish III. He all ready has assignments he needs to do over the Summer for AP History and Honors English. Add to that working three days a week, participating in Boot Camp at the local Rec Center to stay in shape for Fall Cross Country 3 days a week and other things here and there making the Summer a busy one. He is also working for a local chapter of a drug prevention group and as a student representative will be attending a conference in Orlando in July for 5 days. Busy, busy, busy!

We just finished school last Thursday and I just dropped DD off for her first day of summer school. Funny, she was more nervous about today than she was the beginning of her sophomore year :rotfl2:

I think it may be because it is not her usual group of friends, but kids from all over the district (this is a paid-for summer school). But her cousin is in the same class so at least she knows someone.

I can't believe their High School experience is half over already. I wish DD would get more involved with the school activities. Hopefully it works out for her to be included in the school newspaper next year (depends on how the classes fall - she was invited to join by the teacher). That way she will be forced to get outside her little circle a bit more :goodvibes

Hi everyone, I can't believe I just now noticed this thread. I also have a junior now!!! I can't believe how quickly times is going by.

He got his drivers license this summer so for him, that's the highlight of his life right now! He did great his sophomore year making honor roll all year long. He did great on his state testing requirements, and he passed his first ever AP exam!

So, now we are looking forward to the next year. I can't remember his exact classes but I think its this...

German
AFJROTC III
ROTC Drill Class (covers PE credit, learns marching, etc).
AP American History
AP American Literature
Advanced Physics (not sure why he chose this over AP Chem)
Math- think its Advanced PreCalculus - but I really can't remember this one.

Over the summer he is taking an online Personal Finance class that is a graduation requirement. He also has summer assignments for English and History classes.

We are planning college visits this fall, but he really has his heart set on going to VMI (Virginia Military Institute and studying History). He eventually plans a military career and after he retires he wants to be history professor.

Looking forward to another great year!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter