High School Class of 2016/College Class 2020

Holy Moly! Dorm supplies cost us about $900!
I don't know how. That included $60 for a laptop locking safe, $38 for a clothes steamer, $50 at Harmon and Lots of $5 items added up.

Wondering how much you spent without the computer added? Hoping my shopping was in the same ballpark as yours.

Last edited:
Holy Moly! Dorm supplies cost us about $900!
I don't know how. That included $60 for a laptop locking safe, $38 for a clothes steamer. Lots of $5 items added up.

Wondering how much you spent without the computer added?

Crazy huh? So many little things to buy! I don't even want to add up all our receipts, LOL.

So kind of exciting thing today... They just posted a tour of the rooms on twitter so we finally got to see what it looks like. I think DD's trunk will fit at the end of her bed with no problem. But they said that the three under bed drawers can come out and be stacked so I really like the idea of stacking them next to the bed as a bed-side table instead. Then it looks like we can put risers under the bed, if needed, so that she can use the under bed area for storage crates/trunk if she wants.

What is interesting is the both the outside door of the quad and also the door to her bedroom use the key card so even if the roommates in the other room have people over, her bedroom can be locked. So she and her roommate can discuss making sure they keep their door closed if neither of them of there. I still want her to keep her computer locked up if she doesn't have it with her, just in case. But I do like that extra level of security that her bedroom door locks too.

I think we spent ~$700-not including the computer. We did buy her 2 sets of decent sheets though (about double what the cheap set would have cost) but she really does sleep better on softer sheets. I also got her decent towel set as I figured she could keep through the years if higher quality. The last $150 of that was day of move in to get her storage and cleaning supplies, plus extra snacks for her room.
My oldest DD is very cost conscious and she nearly freaked out when we did the big shop at BB&B this summer...

Crazy huh? So many little things to buy! I don't even want to add up all our receipts, LOL.

So kind of exciting thing today... They just posted a tour of the rooms on twitter so we finally got to see what it looks like. I think DD's trunk will fit at the end of her bed with no problem. But they said that the three under bed drawers can come out and be stacked so I really like the idea of stacking them next to the bed as a bed-side table instead. Then it looks like we can put risers under the bed, if needed, so that she can use the under bed area for storage crates/trunk if she wants.

What is interesting is the both the outside door of the quad and also the door to her bedroom use the key card so even if the roommates in the other room have people over, her bedroom can be locked. So she and her roommate can discuss making sure they keep their door closed if neither of them of there. I still want her to keep her computer locked up if she doesn't have it with her, just in case. But I do like that extra level of security that her bedroom door locks too.
Glad there will be room for a trunk. My daughter decided not to get a trunk, instead under bed she is putting her dresser and a 3 drawer cabinet from Walmart.

That's great that your daughters door locks like that. It will be safer that way.

I haven't counted up what we spent but it may be better that way!! Lol.

Towels, sheets, comforter set, pillows, end table, baskets for end table, lamp, desk supplies, trunk and lots of little stuff I can't remember. It seemed never ending.

I've been buying since Christmas, but still don't want to know how much I've spent.

My son is working every day-- 8 hours per day-- until we leave on Wednesday.

Do you think he's packed? Nope.

I've been buying since Christmas, but still don't want to know how much I've spent.

My son is working every day-- 8 hours per day-- until we leave on Wednesday.

Do you think he's packed? Nope.
I don't know what I was thinking but I should have shopped since Christmas like you instead everything was bought this last month.

I have no idea how much I spent. I still have more to buy. I got a really nice mattress pad on sale at target, but I think all the foam topper I saw were pretty flimsy or astronomically expensive. DD didn't want a comforter set. She's taking old sheets from home and a down comforter with duvet covers.

I've been shopping since last year. (Not constantly!). In a few weeks all the "back to college" sections of stores will go on sale and that's where I started. I got her a great bed topper from BB&B that retails for $139 for something like $50 after the sale price and a coupon for 20% off and other small things like over the door hooks. I also was able to get her $189 bedding for $67 after it went on sale and then sale prices were an extra % off at Urban Outfitters. Of course, some things were just bought now. I spent over $300 at BB&B recently and bought a fridge from Target. We will also do one last Target run at our destination for toiletries and snacks. I refuse to drive those things halfway across the country.

I've also been shopping a little at a time for OTC medicines. One thing I didn't see mentioned was any allergy meds, Pepto Bismal, and Mucinex.

She moves in 2 weeks from today!

My DD moved into her apartment, and I think finally has what she needs. Just bought her bed yesterday, she took her mattress from home. They are looking for a used recliner, but that is on them. They took a lot of our old furniture with them, so I think at this point we are done. One week to go to start of classes.

Glad there will be room for a trunk. My daughter decided not to get a trunk, instead under bed she is putting her dresser and a 3 drawer cabinet from Walmart.

That's great that your daughters door locks like that. It will be safer that way.

We all watched the video again last night and started to wonder if that bedroom door lock is good thing or not. The bathroom and shower are in the common area. So if she forgets her key card in the bedroom while she is in the shower or bathroom, etc - she could end up locked out of her own bedroom (while still in the common room). LOL - this is going to be interesting.

Not to worry. There's been a can of sunscreen in my son's stuff since freshman year and I just saw it unopened when we moved him back on Monday for Senior year. At least if he gets burned now I don't carry any of the guilt.:p

Yep. We live in Western NY where there is only 6 weeks of sun anyway. She went to camp in West Virginia all summer last year and I'm sure she didn't use it there either. Fortunately she has very olive skin. Her blonde brother is more careful.

She did ask us to bring some aloe as she has many bug bites from being outside.

DD moves in on Thursday. They have "welcome weekend" and then start classes on Monday.
I couldn't begin to guess what we spent on dorm supplies. We've been buying over time as things went on sale, etc. After the laptop, her bedding and towels were the priciest items. Her roommate has a tv, and the school provides the microwave and fridge. She's purchased a lot of items herself and we repurposed a couple items we had around the house. Still not cheap. lol.

I'm now questioning why we didn't space our children four years apart...what were we thinking!? I have to do this again in two years??
Hopefully my youngest can use some of my oldest's dorm supplies when his time comes (I purposely bought the black mini tool kit instead of the pink with him in mind, lol)

I'm now questioning why we didn't space our children four years apart...what were we thinking!? I have to do this again in two years??
Hopefully my youngest can use some of my oldest's dorm supplies when his time comes (I purposely bought the black mini tool kit instead of the pink with him in mind, lol)
My kids are 20, 18, 15, 13 and 13 - these are going to be some lean years!

My kids are 20, 18, 15, 13 and 13 - these are going to be some lean years!

Wow - yep, lean for sure :) I'll bet the younger ones really appreciate having the words of wisdom from their older siblings when it is their turn :)

Yeah, I just have the two and they are 5 years apart. Hopefully DD graduates after 4 years and we have a year to regroup before it is DS's turn.

Just wait until they buy books. Talk about sticker shock! DD has 4 classes, and the total is about $700 for books and other supplies (a clicker and lab goggles). We tried to save money where we could- rented one e-book and are hoping to buy another used. The rest, though, are either university "exclusives" or are sold as a package with needed internet codes. Argh! So far, the only somewhat nice thing is that her Chemistry and Calculus books MIGHT be able to be used next semester as well.

Just wait until they buy books. Talk about sticker shock! DD has 4 classes, and the total is about $700 for books and other supplies (a clicker and lab goggles). We tried to save money where we could- rented one e-book and are hoping to buy another used. The rest, though, are either university "exclusives" or are sold as a package with needed internet codes. Argh! So far, the only somewhat nice thing is that her Chemistry and Calculus books MIGHT be able to be used next semester as well.

The early semesters seem to be the worst. As time went on my son made friends one class ahead of him or one step behind him and they sold books back and forth amongst themselves a lot. He's a Chem E major, and he has been able to use the same book more than one semester sometimes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter