High School and Band Trips?

NH-R-T-Cha

A creative mind is rarely tidy!
Don't get me wrong ... I'm a newly retired teacher and love kids. :)
I'm planning a trip to WDW with my adult daughter and we'd like to avoid weeks when the parks and resorts are overrun with teenagers!
Are there specific times when high schools plan senior and/or band trips? We'll probably stay at a budget or moderate resort and are thinking about the first or 2nd week of May, 2014.
Anyone know about school trips? (or be able to point me to the right forum?)
Many thanks!

My old school's band and orchestra went at the end of March or the beginning of April. I do know that the Disney high school music programs go on for a couple months at the beginning of the year.

One of the biggest concerns about going in May is local schools taking high schools to Disney as an end-of-the-year trip.

The teens shouldn't bother anyone too much. They will be too busy looking at their iPhones and texting.

My daughter's high school band went late April/early May this past spring and the rest of the family traveled separately from them. Although we did see some of the bands performing, we really never knew they were there the entire time. I never once saw big packs of kids roaming around.

I marched with my High School band on NYE! Talk about craziness!!! After a few hours I found myself a bench and people watched! :)

Our town's Band is going Dec 27-Jan 2nd & our Cheerleaders are going in Feb. Our first trip was in June & there were cheerleaders every where! They drove me crazy! Screaming out cheers while in line, practicing cheers & dances in the middle of walkways! Ughh! I love kids too but they were obnoxious!! Stay away from the All-Star Resorts. That's where the schools tend to stay. Our Band will be at All-Star Music & Cheerleaders at All-Star Sports.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll have a great time regardless!

Thank you everyone.
It sounds like trips are spread out although I hadn't considered local trips, acebatonfan. Have you experienced any?
smraynor: You really know teenagers! I taught Gr 1-6 so texting wasn't an issue. (Your article on castles would have been a fun resource when I taught Medieval architecture to 6th graders!)
MushyMushy and motherof2boys: I was thinking about obnoxious behavior waiting in line and especially at the resorts. We stayed at Pop Century a couple of times. Listening to bands perform in the parks be fun ... listening to them in the middle of the night wouldn't!
krohloff08: I've always stayed away from holidays. Our previous trips were during (late) April school vacation. Parks were pretty quiet then. I'd really love to go at Christmas but would pick early December in the hopes that things wouldn't be as crowded.
I think we'll stick with late April/early May and maybe splurge on Port Orleans. It used to be one of the budget resorts and we loved staying there. Is it even called that anymore??
Thanks again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter