High Cost of Easter

JamesMom

DIS Veteran
Inspired by the egg thread. How much is your Easter gonna cost? Here's my breakdown:

$30 2 Polo shirts for 5yo & 2yo for pictures that the 2yo wouldn't sit for :rolleyes: but can use them anyway
$30 for Big toy presents (Diego backpack for 5yo, Little People Easter set for 2yo)
$25 for books (easter sticker & coloring book for 5yo, 2 lift the flap easter books for 2yo)
$10 for 3 packs of egg dye kits (sparkle, egg wraps, and cars theme)
$3 for baskets from Easter Bunny ($1 buckets x 2, grass 2@$.50) Reusebaskets from last year for collecting - these are the Bunny suprise ones
$25 candy ($1 fun size M&M 8 pk, $2 peeps, $2 small bunny with eyes, $2 small wrapped bunny - bought by mistake - 5yo wants to eat the eyes LOL, $8 large bag of mini candies for class, neighborhood hunts, $5 jelly beans (2 cause DH loves them, $5 assorted candbury eggs for moi!)
$4 Plasic eggs for class/neighborhood hunts
$50 grocery bill for coloring eggs and Easter Brunch ingredients (blueberry pancakes, bacon, sausage, croissants, tortillas, fruit salad, OJ, Champagne, and of couse, eggs)
$20 for Easter Movies (Peter Cottontail 2 pk (classic & new), Mel Gibsons Passion)

Total = $200

How about you guys?

WOW!! I just spent $11 on candy for 3 kids. Weather is too cold here for new clothes and we don't do presents in baskets.

I did bought food for Easter dinner but the only extra that we wouldn't normally have is a spiral sliced ham -$16.

Easter dress for DD4: $40
White Easter shoes: $20
GemMagic set: $20
Candy: $10
Two Disney nightgowns from Kohl's: $40
Webkinz from the airport when we were at WDW last January: $15
Cotton dress she she saw in the Penny's catalog and asked the Easter bunny for: $15
Fruit for fruit salad for Easter brunch at MIL's tomorrow: $25
Flowers for MIL: :$20

Total: $205? Sounds like a common amount... :eek:

Very budget friendly with a big $0!

DS is so young, we won't be getting him Easter candy. We honestly don't need any candy ourselves. We're eating Easter Dinner with family, at no cost to us. We aren't dyeing eggs, as DS is so young. We're going to take some family pictures, but we'll just wear clothes we already have, and do them ourselves.

My kids are 13 and 15, and it never occurred to me to buy them anything. We don't really celebrate Easter. We might go out for brunch -- but we usually go out as a family on Sundays, anyway.

So, I guess we aren't spending anything we wouldn't normally. :confused3

Nowheres near that much here! I probably spent about $70 MAX for the stuff for the baskets, fruit for fruit salad, an easter dress and a new polo for me son. I didn't get much candy at all, just little stuff like easter books, swim goggles, batting gloves...

Oldest DS and DD I spent a total of 50--this is a new shirt and shorts for each from Arepostale---had a great sale plus a coupon. Youngest DS and DD--14

Total--64--the outfits I would have bought anyway--just put them aside for this. Easter outfits I bought for everyone but the baby I already had from clearance in the Fall. Youngest DD is wearing the same thing oldest DD wore her first Easter.

Mom is making lunch so no cost to me.

Maybe $30 for Easter goodies, and more for groceries and wine for a nice dinner party.

I skipped getting my kids new clothes this year. The Easter dresses are lovely, but it's about 30 degrees outside with nasty wind, so I didn't need to doll them up in sleeveless spring dresses this year. They'll wear something more substantial out of their closets.

Spring clothes are a waste here..we are usually too cold. And this year we got 12 inches of snow! So no new clothes :)

All Easter baskets, grass, stuffed bunnies, small toys, plastic eggs, etc 90% off at Hobby Lobby last year. About $5

3 lbs of assorted chocolates @ $1.99 a lb
2 large chocolate bunnies $2.99 ea
1 middle sized bunny .99c after $2 coupon
2 middle sized bunnies $2.99 after Buy one get one free coupon
other candy jelly beans, marshmallow bunnies, tootsie roll tins $5
2 egg kits 99c ea
2 dz eggs $1.29 ea

under $21 dollars. We are doing an indoor egg hunt and picnic lunch tomorrow so I will put a few dollars in coins/bills in the plastic eggs but the food is all from the pantry. We are going to have bbq chicken, potato salad, and lemon cupcakes.

Oh, I forgot..I bought the cutest little bread bunnies at the bakery. Those blew the budget at $1.50 each but they are SO cute. We'll have those with lunch :)

Still under $40

I'll play!

Clothes for the kids- $60- but they will wear them again anyway so not a total loss

New khakis for me (not a dress girl) $6 from Lands End 70% off clearance (I'll wear them again, though!)

$10 Easter egg/dye/cookie making stuff

$15 admission to the Easter egg hunt

$10 ingredients for dinner (have turkey already..DH got two at work for Christmas!)

$60ish Easter basket candy and toys and books ($30 I know were from books, each kid gets two books in their Easter basket)

May go to brunch tomorrow at DH's work..$60..I haven't decided for sure yet..it would be nice and fun and I would get to see what the brunch looks like..but yikes, $60!!!

Mom's broke..spent too much on a holiday, AGAIN.. The kids have something cool to write about in their journals...priceless :banana:

My candy, egg coloring packages and plastic eggs were all free with coupons and CVS ECBs. $0

2 Webkinz from Limited Too using a code and free shipping. (for my twin 9 year old DSs) $21.58

2 itunes cards for $20 each. (for my 14 year old DD and BFs 14 year old DS)$40.00

Dinner is huge, but still wisely shopped for. Ham, Asparagus, Dinner Rolls. Red potatoes and fresh parsley, all that is needed to make Veggie Lasagna, pickles, mixed nuts, nicoise olives, Fresh Pineapple, Cranberry juice, wine, strawberries, cake and whipped cream, eggs to dye, paper Easter plates and napkins and well... I am sure I am forgetting something. $100

Total: $141.58

We use the same baskets each year, and we already have nice clothing from recent sale shops. So no new money spent there.

OPPS! I forgot to add in the wine! New TOTAL: $182.54

Ok, I'll play too

New shirt for DS8 ---$12
Candy (includes candy I bought for an egg hunt last weekend)---------------$10
Target $ spot items (body wash and Star Wars pens)---$3
Ham (bought at Christmas and froze)---$8
Ingredients for casserole---------------$3

Total: $36

We re-use Easter baskets every year. DH, DS12 and I will all wear clothes we already own. I don't do Easter toys. For me, Easter shouldn't be like Christmas. We are going to a friends for dinner, and I'm bringing the ham and a casserole.

I hear ya!
I was just saying to my hubby last night
"when did Easter turn into Christmas!"

My daughter has a nut allergy and doesnt like much sugary candy so pickings are slim on chocolate treats for us :confused3 so i feel like i need to put other fun stuff in her basket.

Daughter (5 3/4)
Outfit
HSM Shirt
Littlest pet shops
marbles
HSM mini light
a few small stuffed animals
cadbury caramel eggs
cadbury eggs
skittles
fun tub toys
little fun animals... (those hard plastic ones you can get for a fortune!) :)
enchanted
my girl and grease (SHE LOVES IT and i couldnt resist it for 4.00!)

Son (1 3/4)
Outfit
cars
stuffed toys
elmo toy
elmo backpack
baby baseball glove
tub toys
same candy as sister
dalmations

Ugh im not doing the math!

Have a great holiday all!:flower3:

Bought an extra dozen eggs this week, but had a coupon for a free 2 liter of soda with the purchase of 2 dozen eggs.

I went way overboard this year. Usually I just buy clearance easter stuff the year before at Target and save them. Never made it to Target clearance last year. So here's my list:

Already had the baskets for 2 kids.
Candy- $14
Jersey for boy- $13
HM top for girl $11
Toothtunes for each- already had one from the get one free deal at Hasbro over Christmas- so $8.98 for one
Playdoh scene bunny rabbit - 1 for each- clearance at Target $1.xx each
Star Wars Dvd set $28 costco for boy
Enchanted DVD for girl $16.99
New underwear (just because they needed it) Star wars for boy, HM for girl- sale at Target $3.99 each
HSM2 pencil set for girl .99
Star Wars pen set for boy 1.00
Marker set for boy 1.00
Marker set for girl (already had this from some other Target clearance) ??
HM plastic cup .54
Nascar insulated cup $3.xx Target clearance

So the grand total is:$110.52

I'm not doing the family dinner- my mom is so all I had to worry about was bringing the scalloped potatoes and some cupcakes for the kids. Already had that stuff in the pantry.

Mine was pretty inexpensive.

Egg hunt outfit one was just regular clothes
Egg hunt outfit two was new, not really bought for this but $2.99 for the new Gymbo shirt and $5.00 for the new to us Gymbo Capris
Easter outfit - shower gift
Basket - $2
1 dozen big plastic eggs - $2, but I got $2 in ECBs back
Candy for egg hunt eggs - $1
Stickers for egg hunt eggs - $3
Eggs - I am going to try that onion thing on 6 eggs in the fridge now
Easter Dinner - just rolls, I'm not allowed to cook the big meal - $3

$18.99 plus tax

We'll never do a big gift thing at Easter, that just rubs me the wrong way.

Toddlers baskets- 2 DVD's $30, 2 sets of disney store flips and sun glasses $12, one large premade basket full off outdoor toys $12.00 =total for both of them $54

8yos basket; 5 hard cover american girl doll books $15.00, 2 Nintendo DS games $30, googles $1.00 total $46

15yo's basket; Contact lenses $25, went to walgreens and got misc items.. red bull, beef jerky, lead pencils, highlighters $15: total $40

also spent $20 on gertrude hawks candy from school fundraiser.

So approx total for 4 kids $160 YIKES!!!

I do buy dressy easter outfits since I know they wont wear them again. I did make my 3yo daughter a pair of custom princess jeans to wear.

Okay, I have 5 kids so please keep that in mind when you see the total :scared1: .

I reuse their baskets and plastic eggs from previous years.

5 Klutz books - $85
4 Wii Nunchuks-$80
4 jumpropes-$8
2 bubbles-$4
2 shirts-$8 (clearance)
1 pr shoes-$12
3 Tomagotchis-$45
1 bowling towel-$9
1 Matchbox set-$15
1 coloring book-$1.50
1 LPS set-$7
2 dozen real eggs-$3
1 Honeybee hop-$13

I'm not counting in candy or our ham for dinner because those were absorbed in the grocery budget.

Grand total: $281.50

In an attempt to keep the dental bills down and keep DH and I from having so much candy around the house ;) I think gifts instead of all that sugar is a TERRIFIC idea!

Here's my list:

Straw purse for DD8 to serve as basket $2
Enchanted DVD for DD8 $20
Book for DS10 $15
Pack of baseball cards for DS10 $1
Card for DH $4
grass for baskets $1
a little candy (individual stuff, not multi packs of anything) $7
re-using DS10's basket from last year
no new clothes - we're just going to MIL's
MIL is cooking, and I'll bring a salad from stuff that we have anyway (and I need to use before it goes bad)

Total $50

we only do candy and $ in our baskets, It is still winter here( with fresh snow:headache: ) so "spring" clothes are never in our baskets. No easter dress for DD8 because we are not doing anything extra special tomorrow, and I don't put big gifts in baskets.
I made 5 baskets, and a "community" candy tray for table decoration( it's a glass egg dish that has been used in my family since i was little, around the circle are the colored eyes, the center will be filled with candy in the AM)

our baskets will be over-flowing with chocolate for the final price of $20 out of pocket
Change jar was $15.00 - (not counting as out of pocket), all went to candy.
4 choco bunnies were free ( bogo coupons)
and each girl gets $5 in a plastic egg.
$0.76 for a bottle of Mr Bubble ( clearance) in DD8 's basket
oh, and i spent $10 on a Eeyore basket for my sister, so grand total out of pocket $30.76.

my girls are 16 & 8
not as fancy as some, but this a typical easter for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter