Hi, anyone have a high-efficiency washing machine?

I admit, I have used regular detergent in mine. I use both and have never had a problem......so far.

I've had a HE washer for quite a few years. I knew I was supposed to use HE detergent but it used to be kind of hard to find and I just used whatever.

We had some problems with it this winter and the repair guy said he could tell I wasn't using HE detergent because it was eating away at some of the parts. :goodvibes Oh, well. He also found a bunch of small rocks and lots of change. I've got kids, what can I say. ;)

All Free & Clear was suggested to us by my DH's dermatologist.

We've been using it for a long time and I love it.

Thanks. Glad to hear a derm. suggested it. Does it matter if it's the 2x or 3x type?

We've had a Sears Kenmore version for almost as long as they have been available. We used a HE detergent for the first year or so, then switched to Arm and Hammer powder. Our clothes come out clean and we never have an oversudsing problem.

Our only repair was replacement of the computer board caused by our stupidity. We closed the door on a t-shirt and it really messed things up.

Thanks. Glad to hear a derm. suggested it. Does it matter if it's the 2x or 3x type?
We've used them all and all have worked well. Granted we have only used the 3x a handful of tmes when traveling, but we now use the 2x all the time now.

I forgot to say that Costco's equivalent was also suggested to us and when we became members we tried it and found we like it as well. We alternate with those depending on which is cheaper with coupons. I couldn't tell you which we are using now because we really do alternate a lot without any issues at all. Both that we buy are the 2x types and have no issues.

I've had a Frigidaire Gallery HE front loader for over 6 years and never had a problem. I have used everything from regular to HE. Now I only use the Purex 3-and-1's. Love my HE washer!

I bought a new Maytag washer and dryer set in May. The washing machine is HE, but DGF makes our laundry soap so we don't have to spend an arm and leg on detergent.
The only major difference with the HE detergent is that it does less sudsing than the normal stuff.
One of DGFs sisters friends works at Whirlpool (who also makes Maytag) and says that most of their models have a de-sudsing cycle that makes it so you don't have to use HE detergent, it just takes longer to do a load of clothes.

That's what I was told too. I have a front loader and never use HE detergent, just buy my same-ol' whatevers-on-sale brand. I was told to be careful not to use too much, because it would "suds" more. The few times this has happened, the anti-sudsing cycle just kicks in. Takes a little longer, but no biggie. I have had my set of front-loaders for almost 5 years now, and NEVER had to service either of them.

Another Duet Sport owner here using all Tide and Downy HE products. Before this I had a Whirlpool Calypso Top load HE that was a POS. NAturally it waited until after the class action had expired to completely die. I have had no problems since I use HE products (I even use the HE Clorox when I can find it, but mainly because it's thick). THe few times I tried to use regular in my old Whirlpol it was a disaster with suds lock errors, etc. IF it's available I'd use what the manufacturer recommends, otherwise, why have a high efficiency machine if it has to work harder?

I have an HE washer too and I do use the HE detergent. When I first got it I used regular detergent, just a smaller amount of it, but then I didn't think the clothes were really getting clean. They didn't smell good; not dirty, but just not clean you know? So I switched to HE and now they smell good. I'd love to go back to regular detergent but I want to make sure the clothes smell like they've been cleaned!

Cepmom: When I bought my washer the sales guy told me if you use normal detergent it will dilute it greatly by pouring water so that by the time it is done it is like you washed it in just water (and it defeats the HE function). He said he has had several people coming and saying their clothes aren't getting clean and that is the problem.

Cepmom: When I bought my washer the sales guy told me if you use normal detergent it will dilute it greatly by pouring water so that by the time it is done it is like you washed it in just water (and it defeats the HE function). He said he has had several people coming and saying their clothes aren't getting clean and that is the problem.

that's what I figured was happening. I didn't want to use the same amount as for a regular washer and worry about oversudsing, but then I use less and worry about not smelling clean! I just watch for sales on the HE detergent now and stock up on it. :thumbsup2

I'm purchasing a set this week. I have narrowed it down to 3 models.

GE Profile
Maytag Bravos
Whirlpool Cabrio

All are top loading with no agitator in the center. I think I have eliminated the Cabrio because the dryer door isn't reversible and it would be a pain to deal with the door.

Not to hi-jack this thread but if anyone has any comments on these models feel free to let me know.

Had my Cabrio dryer service 3months after puchasing. Somehow dryer turned blue after drying jeans. This never happened before with other dryers

Currently on the phone talking with the warranty department about my washer. leaked 6months after purchase. smelled colorax on floor. colorax drain cup had a slipt in tubing. last week noticed water was leaking on floor.

Otherwise, I love my set...I HONSETLY think I have a lemon. One thing about the warrant dept. after three service call they will replace the item...

I'm purchasing a set this week. I have narrowed it down to 3 models.

GE Profile
Maytag Bravos
Whirlpool Cabrio

All are top loading with no agitator in the center. I think I have eliminated the Cabrio because the dryer door isn't reversible and it would be a pain to deal with the door.

Not to hi-jack this thread but if anyone has any comments on these models feel free to let me know.

Had my Cabrio dryer service 3months after puchasing. Somehow dryer turned blue after drying jeans. This never happened before with other dryers

Currently on the phone talking with the warranty department about my washer. leaked 6months after purchase. smelled colorax on floor. colorax drain cup had a slipt in tubing. last week noticed water was leaking on floor.

Otherwise, I love my set...I HONSETLY think I have a lemon. One thing about the warrant dept. after three service call they will replace the item...

So far I love two things about the new machine: 1. I can fit more clothes 2. clothes come out dryer and I am cutting time in dryer, thus saving on gas!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter