HHN Opening night report

Thanks Metro - good stuff as always!

Once in the houses - did you feel rushed or were you able to walk slowly and take it all in?

I've had both experiences in the past - and the ubiquitous presence of Uni TM's standing in every corner with a flashlight saying "move along" definitely took some of the fun out of it for me...

Once in the houses - did you feel rushed or were you able to walk slowly and take it all in?

I've had both experiences in the past - and the ubiquitous presence of Uni TM's standing in every corner with a flashlight saying "move along" definitely took some of the fun out of it for me...
Since it rained all night I didn't feel rushed or crowded at all...which was good but I wish it hadn't rained all night.

thanks todd:thumbsup2 seems the crowds are forming earlier at Finnegans.
Yes Janet plus having one entrance and exit into/out of the holding area didn't help. I hadn't seen a line like that for Finnegan's in years.

My husband LOVE haunted houses so I bought him tickets to HHN since we will be at Disney the week of October 7th. Since we have never been the Universal I would like to try at least a couple of the rides. Do you have any suggestions on how to best work in a couple of rides between haunted houses? I know we won't be able to make it thru everything in one night but would like to do a little of both (rides & houses). Regarding rides I would like to try Despicable ME, MIB and The Simpsons.

Thanks for any input!

Cathy
I would suggest picking out which rides and houses you are hoping to do and then plan your night around those.

Yes Janet plus having one entrance and exit into/out of the holding area didn't help. I hadn't seen a line like that for Finnegan's in years.

just to plan appropriately;), which door is open...bar facing mummy or the restaurant one facing blue bros area?

I went again tonight for a short evening...mainly to meet Marquibiri but didn't see him anywhere. We were released at 5:45pm tonight but there was a 10 minute wait for Silent Hill. That shows how many people were in the holding area...LOTS! I then did Gothic again which really grew on me as did Dead End. I really like the sound stage houses...so much detail and themeing. They opened Dead End early tonight...6:15pm instead of 6:30pm. The lines built pretty quickly after I did those houses. Silent Hill was 30 minutes at around 7:15pm, Gothic was 20 minutes and Dead End was 20 minutes so I can only imagine what the lines are like now! The scareactors were out in droves tonight so I enjoyed sitting on a bench near Mel's and watching them go after people! Since I have to work tomorrow, I didn't venture to the other houses so I don't know what kind of wait times those had. Next Sunday will be a later evening.

It's getting better folks!
:teeth:

I went again tonight for a short evening...mainly to meet Marquibiri but didn't see him anywhere. FONT] :teeth:

I looked for you everywhere :sad1:

I even left Finnegans early and looked for you in the holding area. :sad:

Today was pretty crowded. See, I am back at RPR and it's only 10 pm!

Cheers!

Marquibiri :thumbsup2

Was there tonight as well and didn't find it as crowded as Friday was. We didn't get there early enough for S&S but walked in shortly before 7pm. Hit Gothic first with a reported 20 minute wait that ended up being closer to 40 minute. Still my favorite house overall due to the gorgeous set design and consistent scares.

After leaving Gothic, we headed toward Walking Dead which had a reported wait time of 20 minutes but which was obviously three times that based on the bit of the queue that we could see from the promenade. So skipped Walking Dead and instead we chilled and people watched for a while until it began to rain. It wasn't a hard rain but was steady enough to be annoying, ugh.

We decided to head over to do Penn & Teller and were pleased to find the path through was was once Amity has been changed and the bridge between Amity and Krustyland is OPEN! Big win for crowd control and convenience. An alarm went off at Penn & Teller earlier so though the queue didn't look that long it was taking forever because the express pass queue was so backed up. Needless to say, we decided to head elsewhere and asa we were walking we realized that the new carnival games were opened along the facade for The Simpsons attraction. These fit well with the theming and backstory for the attraction and had a good visual appeal. However, nobody was shelling out money to play the games.

As we walked, we were commenting on how we hadn't caught a lagoon show and wouldn't you know, the Frankenstein/classic monster montage came on. We're really enjoying this use of the water screens, fountains and lazer effects to create these fun little show bursts on the lagoon.

Next up was House of Horrors and while the look of the house isn't all that intriguing, I found that once again, this house had the best scares so kudos to the scareactors there.

After that we were by Mels and caught the "Welcome To My Nightmare" lagoon show which we again enjoyed. We also noticed that there is now a pathway along the lagoon heading back to toward the Finnegan's area. Another win. Our further meandering took us through the annoying chainsaw legion which is probably my least favorite of the street legion groups.

Next up, our third and final house. We chose Silent Hill which only had a 30 minute posted wait but which was actually shorter than 30 minutes. Not being familiar with the series, I can't comment on the accuracy of the house's design, but it does seem to be a well designed house. I just find it very lacking in scares though that could be because, being unfamiliar with the characters, I don't know what I should find frightening.

Oh and we did have an accidental physical encounter with a scareactor from the Warriors legion on Friday. It was completely unintentional, but it resulted in a minor injury with quite a bit of blood. While Universal eventually provided an appropriate response to our concerns the next day (after my friend returned to make sure that the incident had been reported), we were a little disappointed that it didn't appear as if the street legion coordinators had been given enough training for such situations. However, tonight it did appear that the coordinators were more attentive to what was going on in their area and that the scareactors had been given suggestions on how to approach guests in ways that would be less likely to result in an accidental collision.

Overall a good night despite the rain and ensuing humidity. Looking forward to things continuing to improve as the season goes on.

Oh, and I almost forgot. They've got the Horror Unearthed interactive game started. You can register and begin playing online through the HHN website, or, on select nights you can register and pick up game passcard over by stroller rental. There are stations at the exits for each house where you scan your card (looks like a form of RFID coding) and earn points for completing tasks. We kept forgetting to take out the card so we only got our badge for Silent Hill house.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter