HHN 2023 is it worth it?

Poohbear80

Earning My Ears
What do people think of HHN? I have never been and I am not sure whether to go or not. It’s on quite late (past my bedtime 😆.) I get that been on at night makes it more atmospheric but I don’t think I would enjoy being up that late. Is it worth it? I love horror films and Halloween. I’ve heard people say it’s amazing and others say it’s really busy and overrated. Are there many rides open and do they have long queues?

I think it’s worth it. There can be long lines for everything. You might enjoy one of the daytime house tours, I think there’s a 3 house and a 6 house.

IMO, I don't think it's worth it. I have been a couple of times and the wait times are ridiculous. I have seen wait time go as high as 120 minutes which is ridiculous for any haunted house.

If you love Halloween and horror films you would probably love it. We went to to the parks Labor Day weekend of 2021 (opening weekend) but did not do HHN. The kids (2 teen boys) saw all the signage and wanted to do it, but I didn't want to spend the money. We returned Labor Day weekend 2022 with plans to do 1 night. We were so excited when we got there that we upgraded to one of the passes that allowed us to do a second night. We LOVED it. Our first/extra night, we used the hotel guest entrance and did a couple of houses with no wait. Then we did Diagon Alley while it was empty. I headed home after that and the boys stayed for 1 more house. The second night was our originally planned night and I did purchase express pass. I highly recommend it. If I had to wait in the standby lines I would probably not have enjoyed it near as much.

I definitely thinks it’s worth it. Although we’re normally at Universal Orlando for a week, we just do one night for HHN, and we use RIP to avoid the wait lines so that we get to experience all of the houses.

For years, my wife would skip HHN, and would find other things to do around Citywalk and/or the resort. Two years ago, we finally talked her into going because of the Beetlejuice house, and she loved it. She did HHN last year and enjoyed it. She’s doing it again when we go in September.

If you decide to do HHN, read up on it. Most people who don’t enjoy HHN didn’t plan appropriately. Several ideas that can improve HHN experiences: Stay & Scream holding area, Express Pass, RIP tours, etc.

I think the content is absolutely amazing. Did it only twice before and going again this year.
It's so good that people are ready to wait 1hour or more (even up to 3 for the busiest nights) for some of the houses, which is the only drawback, really. It can be exhausting, a LOT of walking and a LOT of standing in line. There are ways to cut that, like the expess pass or the VIP tours, but that adds expenses.
I followed the Orlando Informer touring plan in the past and I was able to do all houses in one night without Express (in September, when it's not crazy busy). But it's a long night and requires a commando like approach.

OP - Welcome to the DIS

might want to post your Qs in the following thread for maximum exposure…

after you read thru the actual thread listed below. Worst thing you can do is show up to an amusement park unprepared IMO, especially the special events.

the stickied posts in it are are great place to start researching to help your decide if HHN is right for you.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/official-2023-halloween-horror-nights-32-orlando.3913739/

Last edited:
As always “worth” is subjective. People who love horror films or just spooky Halloween atmosphere in general are usually really impressed with the content.

However, whether the excellent content is enough to overcome the drawbacks of the event format is questionable. The lines do get very long. You can pay more to skip or shorten them, but both the RIP tour and express pass are pricy, which again raises the question of worth. It’s a late event with a lot of walking. Even with RIP or express, expect a late night with a lot of walking, which may or may not be fun for an early bird up past bedtime.

As people as said, it’s all subjective. I love HHN started going with some friends for HHN 28 & 29 during Disney trip for F& W. Last 2 years, have done a whole HHN week solo. I have another HHN week on booked for this September.

If you would not like walking through a dark maze with things jumping out to scare you. Then HHN isn’t probably for you. It’s really not to ride the rides. You can do that during the day . It’s starts at 6 PM and goes to 2am. I normally leave post midnight after staying in the park while it switches over.

Maybe check out some videos of previous HHN to see if it’s something you would like

I hate jump scares, meh about most horror movies but enjoy Halloween. Went for my daughters 16th birthday (her request) and we've been hooked ever since!! I really never thought I'd LOVE HHN as much as I do but it's hard to explain the atmosphere-like people look forward to getting those scares and screaming. Got hubs hooked a couple years ago too lol. Only going a couple nights this year (compared to 4+ in years past) but so looking forward to it!!

I do not like horror movies, but I love Halloween. This is a great event, and in my opinion it's worth it. We go x5 nights to really spread it out and enjoy our selves. We do the VIP tour one night and get the Express Passes for one night and then spend the rest of the time going to our favorite Houses early and then enjoying the atmosphere, scare zones, food and watching people :)

Hi, considering doing stay and scream as an add on. Don’t have annual pass or day ticket so I am allowed to go in at 3 and go on rides even though I don’t have a day ticket?

Hi, considering doing stay and scream as an add on. Don’t have annual pass or day ticket so I am allowed to go in at 3 and go on rides even though I don’t have a day ticket?
Yes from 3-5 and then you go to the holding area at 5 and you can typically get into some of the mazes before the general opening of HHN

Yes, but realize that the holding areas open at 3, and lines start to form for the houses immediately. The earlier you enter the holding area, the farther up you are in line. This may or make a difference to you, as everyone in the holding area line is ahead of people at the gates. But being at the start of a line for a popular house can make a difference if you’re trying to bang out the houses without benefit of express. If you have express, then don’t even worry and enjoy the rides right up to 5pm.

Yes, but realize that the holding areas open at 3, and lines start to form for the houses immediately. The earlier you enter the holding area, the farther up you are in line. This may or make a difference to you, as everyone in the holding area line is ahead of people at the gates. But being at the start of a line for a popular house can make a difference if you’re trying to bang out the houses without benefit of express. If you have express, then don’t even worry and enjoy the rides right up to 5pm.
That does make a difference to me. Thanks for letting me know. I didn’t realised people queued within the holding area. I assumed everyone just waited around in it and then when it opened at like 6ish everyone then queue at the houses. Not sure now because I don’t want to pay for EP but the 2hour waits seem a bit much and I don’t think the other 2 people I’m going with would be thrilled waiting that long.

I've been really tempted to go to HHN, but I live in Atlanta, and since me and the family already went to IOA and Disney this summer, I kinda don't want to spend the money to go back this year. I'm really tempted. I'm gonna see how my finances looking around the end of September/beginning of October. Plus I have friends that throw a Halloween party annually, and I just feel bad spending so much $$$.

We had been going to Universal for many, many years before we decided to give it a try in 2021, I had been watching vlogs on it for a long while, and on previous Oct trips, had seen all the hordes of people waiting to get into the event, and was always curious. I grew up on ALL the 70s/80s horror movies, Omen, Exorcist, Texas Chainsaw..., all the Friday/13ths, Halloween, and the other really bad slasher movies, but not a huge horror fan anymore. But since the kids were older teens, and we were going to be there, decided to try it. Now, totally hooked. Got our 1 night tickets for Oct, and can't wait. About to buy express. We did the first 2 times w/o express, and it's totally do-able, but it is a lot of waiting/lines for houses. Also, while I did have my kid or kids with me the majority of the night, last year, I did the last hour and half alone, and it was totally fun! scare zones extra creepy,
We did have APs to get into Stay/scream, but if I didn't , I would still suggest doing S/S, and yes, they do open them early, and there is a queue, but I'm used to rope dropping/arriving well before park opening, and waiting, so it's fine. you can usually knock out the 2 houses near that pen before regular opening. then still be ahead of the crowds for a few more. but you can't leave your initial holding area until the rest of the park is cleared out. Made a tactical error last year with this, choosing the S/S for Halloween, by the time they cleared the park, and we could get to Blumhouse, it was busy> I plan to pick the S/S area that will be near Animal Actors, assuming there is one there, this year. I think Last of Us will be there, so can knock that out early. .Will totally have an enormous line for Stranger THings, I"m sure....so kinda have to pick your poison.
ANyway, it's great fun, and I think totally worth the price of at least a 1 night ticket. Happy planning!!

My son and I are hooked!! We LOVE it. I will say even if you don't plan on going through all the houses, you would still have a great time if you love Halloween and horror movies. You could take a look at the house line up and choose a few that you don't want to miss. go through those. Spend the rest of the evening exploring the scare zones, snacks and people watching. I think if you go into it with the attitude that you won't get all of the houses in(which is possible, but you have to work for it...lol), you would still have a great time. The atmosphere can't be beat in my opinion. We enjoy just being around the vibe that HHN brings. I would say give it a shot, then you will know if it's something you want to try again with a plan to get through all of the houses...which may cost a bit more for express or one of the tours offered if you are more of a "call it an early night" kind of person. let us know if you go and what your thoughts are!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter