HHI Roll Call, Adoration & Information Thread 2010

We were there at the same time! I thought the weather was perfect. We got 2 long beach days in, and it was not miserably hot while we were riding bikes around the resort.

We love it that time of the year!! Did you do alot of the activities? We thought there was more this year for us and really enjoy it more than last year. This is a once of year thing for us.

So we are total HHI converts. I fell in love. It was such a wonderful trip, that HHI is now on an every other year rotation for us. (Can't totally give up WDW!!)

If I had to sum up - It's summer camp without the bunkbeds. We went to almost every activity at the resort. We played on the beach, we rode bikes. I honestly didn't miss the parks at all.

Although we've never been there (first trip booked for April 2011), this is exactly the reason I think we will love it. DH is not a Disney fan....at all. I am really hoping that he will let me get a small add-on at HHI so that we can go at least once every three years. Right now, with our DD's in kindergarten and second grade, we only plan on vacations during spring break or the summer. In order to get HHI during either of those times, we will need a contract there. We lucked out for 2011 because Easter is so late. Our school has spring break the first full week of April every year. That saved us for 2011 and we were able to get a 1BR for 5 nights. Easter week was completely booked at the 7-month window so that is actually a great bargaining tool that I can use to convince DH that we *need* points at HHI:rolleyes1.

Yesterday, we drove from WDW and arrived at HHI for our first visit. Its about 330 miles from Orlando to HHI and took us about 6 hours. We are really impressed with this resort. The people are very friendly, our one bedroom villa is well maintained, and the atmosphere of HHI is so relaxing. We definitely want to come back to HHI for a longer visit.

Here are a few photos:

Our living room, villa #1137:

DSCN4313.jpg

Our balcony:

DSCN4316.jpg

Part of the walk from the main building to the pool:

DSCN4334.jpg

HHI's feature pool, The Big Dipper:

DSCN4343.jpg

One of the local residents:

DSCN4356.jpg

View of the beach and ocean from the HHI beach house:

DSCN4404.jpg

Hello all!!:cool1:
We are going to be visiting HHI for the first time in 4 weeks for a quick weekend getaway! We are so looking forward to checking it out.
What are some of the "must do's"?? We are only there from Friday till Sunday and we don't want to miss out anything special!!!
I have been reading alot of great stuff on this thread!!!
Thanks!!!

Hi, I remember seeing a map of the resort that stated where all of the 2 bedrooms where located. I can't find it when I need it though! Can anyone help with the link?

Thanks so much - only 4 more days!

Thanks for the pics wdrl! We're going for a long weekend in November (we did the same thing last year-our first time there) and I'm getting so excited!! :)

Hi, I remember seeing a map of the resort that stated where all of the 2 bedrooms where located. I can't find it when I need it though! Can anyone help with the link?

Thanks so much - only 4 more days!

If I remember correctly, the 2 BRs are located in every buiding except the Main Lodge. The Main Lodge has all studios and 1 BRs, and since they're lockoffs, they can be made into 2 BRs if the need arises. For example, the only way you can get a HA 2 BR is by using a HA studio and 1 BR from the Main Lodge (otherwise called Building 11). All other buildings require a climb of a flight of stairs even to the first floor. I don't know if Building 12 has any regular 2 BRs. I know it has a HA studio, so I'm assuming a HA 2 BR could be gotten there as well. It's attached to building 11, so has elevator access as well.

We love, love HHI. It was our second trip as DVC members and it really reinforced how happy we were with our purchase. We still spend our summer vacation time in Ocean City, MD at my husband's family beach house (bought in '68; we wish they had bought three!

But Hilton Head is so beautiful and serene. We love coming back. And have a reservation for our 27th anniversary.

I do have a question for the experts out there. We drive down from Baltimore, which pretty much takes up a day. We have stopped for the night in Savannah (using priceline or something like it) and have been not so happy with our accommodations. We don't need to be right on River St. but like the downtown area. Any suggestions? Thanks!

wdrl - Awesome pictures!!!

We are booked for the week after Easter, but I just found out that my DS who rows Crew has States at the end of the week and Coach has already said there will be practice all week during the break! UGH! My DSIL has offered to keep DS that week (since my niece also rows) - but I'm torn because we've never taken a family vacation without ALL members of the family. I'm keeping my reservation for now, I guess until the guilt sets in! :confused3

wdrl - Awesome pictures!!!

We are booked for the week after Easter, but I just found out that my DS who rows Crew has States at the end of the week and Coach has already said there will be practice all week during the break! UGH! My DSIL has offered to keep DS that week (since my niece also rows) - but I'm torn because we've never taken a family vacation without ALL members of the family. I'm keeping my reservation for now, I guess until the guilt sets in! :confused3

I guess it may depend on the age of your son -- but if he's in Crew, it would probably be okay to go without him. Now if he were in a big meet, you'd want to be there for that, but practice, maybe not? Or would you also be missing the States? You'll miss him, but sooner or later, vacations end up being flexible about who can go when -- trying to coordinate schedules will keep getting more and more complicated. Wonderful of your DSIL to keep him. And he'll get a taste of some independence.

Being a compulsive planner, I am trying to put together a mock itinerary for our spring break 2011 trip. Since we've never been there, I am relying solely on information that I find online in order to make my plans. I am basing my itinerary on the activities schedule from the first week of April 2010.

First question...If we sign up for the Pinckney Island tour (2.5 hours) that starts at 9am, will we still be able to take the Kayak trip that starts at 11:30?

Second question...It says that dolphin tours are scheduled daily, but at what times? How long are they? Are they better to do in the morning, afternoon or evening?

Third question...DH says that there are no kayaks built for two. Is this true? I would love to do the kayak trip, but I know that DD7 and DD5 could not manage their own kayaks. I thought they had some "two-seaters":confused3.

Last question (for now)... We are planning on bringing our own bikes, but DD5 will need a "tug-along". Do they still rent those? Can you get one by itself or do you need to rent a bike with it? If we need to rent a bike with it, then we will leave one of ours home. DD5 hasn't mastered the two-wheeler yet and I doubt she will learn over the winter here in Michigan. Even if she managed to learn before we leave, her endurance would be an issue. DD7, OTOH, is like a machine!! That girl can go for MILES without getting tired. Her first bike ride this summer was over 7 miles!

That's all for now! I know I'll have more questions as winter approaches and I really start thinking about the beach:beach:.

Just got off the phone with Member Services -- we got our two bedroom villa at HHI for the end of May! :banana:

We will be there in 12 days. We are staying in a studio. We tried this trip last year but we rescheduled and went to DL. I'm so excited!

I am a new to the dvc. Do you think it will be difficult to get into HHI for mid- Sept 2011, if I book 7 months out? We really would love to visit there.

I am a new to the dvc. Do you think it will be difficult to get into HHI for mid- Sept 2011, if I book 7 months out? We really would love to visit there.

What size unit do you want? If it's a 2 BR, I don't expect you to have any trouble. One BR or studio, HHI has very few of those, so you might have to go on the waitlist. I've never been to HHI in September, so I don't know how busy it is.

I was probably looking for a studio or 1 bdrm. There are only 3 of us. 2 bedrooms would be too much for us. Well I will just try at the 7month mark for Sept. and see what happens.

You might find it easier than you think. We were there two years ago for Labor Day weekend and the crowds really start dropping off once the kids go back to school. Good luck!

I was probably looking for a studio or 1 bdrm. There are only 3 of us. 2 bedrooms would be too much for us. Well I will just try at the 7month mark for Sept. and see what happens.

Are all the two bedrooms dedicated or some lock-offs? I would prefer a dedicated, is that something I should request?
:confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter