• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

HHI Roll Call, Adoration & Information Thread 2010

We are driving down from the Hamilton area. First real driving vacation for us, we always fly everywhere ( except Montreal last summer for soccer). We plan on trying to get to Columbia SC the first day then arrive to HHI early the next day. We are also a family of four with 2 DD, one 13 and one 10. The first trip to HHI and looking forward to it.

Wow, I would really love to know how your drive goes. We are also from Hamilton, and looking into going this summer(end of August). I know it may be a mute point as we probably won't get anything now on points, but still may get something with cash.
Do you, or anyone out there know where we would fly into from Buffalo or Detroit? Taking 4 days to drive there and back out of a 9 day vacation is a bit much for me:scared1:

Wow, I would really love to know how your drive goes. We are also from Hamilton, and looking into going this summer(end of August). I know it may be a mute point as we probably won't get anything now on points, but still may get something with cash.
Do you, or anyone out there know where we would fly into from Buffalo or Detroit? Taking 4 days to drive there and back out of a 9 day vacation is a bit much for me:scared1:

The drive is around 15 hours, we are going to leave at 3am and drive till Columbia SC around 12-13 hours away. That will only leave us 2 hours to HHI the next day. Coming home will be different,we have to be homre for soccer on the Saturday night. Will try to get to Erie PA on the way home the first day. The closest main airport is Savanah I think.

We enjoyed a beautiful site this evening.

rainbow2.jpg

rainbow.jpg

Heading to HHI this summer. Is I-95 the best way or should I consider another way? I remember reading a post a while ago about another interstate which is more scenic but can't seem to find the post.

Heading to HHI this summer. Is I-95 the best way or should I consider another way? I remember reading a post a while ago about another interstate which is more scenic but can't seem to find the post.

Where are you coming from?

There are several scenic routes you could take.

US 17 is probably the best known. If you are coming from the Columbia area, take US 21 down to I-95 instead of I-26. You could take 21 all the way down to SC 170 in Beaufort which will take you down to US 278 near HHI. (It's actually a strait shot, but, it sounds not).

I recommend visiting Beaufort. It's a beautiful town.

Give me more info and I'll get you more.

We're there August 8th-13th. Never done August before....expecting to spend most of time in the pools! Love HHI. This will be our 4th year!

Hey everyone...Since this summer will be our first trip to HHI I am just assuming that there will be a towel cart / stand somewhere at the beach house that we can borrow towels from for the beach? :confused3 Since we're driving it won't be as critical as when we fly - I'll have the space to BRING beach towels...but sometimes it's nice to grab a fresh one.

ALSO wanted to share with everyone that I was at Costco today and found some nice backpack style (canvas) sling beach chairs with aluminum frames for $23 each. They have an adjustable neck pillow, a cup holder and a built-in insulated cooler pouch + a storage pouch on the backs along with a folding towel bar. Because they're aluminum frames they shouldn't rust and they're pretty lightweight. Made by Tommy Bahama...they came in navy, red and a tan color. ALSO found matching 7' umbrellas with a SPF 100 canopy for $20!! :thumbsup2 I thought they were a steal so I grabbed a chair for each of us + an umbrella. (They say they have a max. weight limit of 300 Lbs.)

We got in on the chair swap at Vero Beach last summer and they had similar backpack style beach chairs & they were really handy to free up your hands for all the other stuff you schlep to the beach when you go!! :thumbsup2

I tried to look for them online but they're not on the Costco website. I found these that are very similar. The ones I found today have plastic arms not wooden and there are 2 smaller pouches on the back rather than one large one.:thumbsup2

http://www.beachmall.com/product/WTB5363/Backpack-Chairs--Heavy-Duty-Backpack-Beach-Chair--Tommy-Bahama.html?meta=BINGCB&metacpg=WTB5363&utm_source=BINGCB&utm_medium=CPC&utm_content=&utm_campaign=WTB5363&jftid=3:09c5cba8-d349-4d38-81d5-1c6f098dcf5d

This has been SUCH a miserable winter I am psyched up for the beach already!!

Hey everyone...Since this summer will be our first trip to HHI I am just assuming that there will be a towel cart / stand somewhere at the beach house that we can borrow towels from for the beach?

Plenty of towels to grab at the beach house and resort pool.
Those chairs and umbrella will come in handy and save you a rental each trip to the beach.

Wish we had Costco here. :sad2:

Coming from NY you may have read the suggestion to take the I-81 through the Blue Ridge Pkway. Depending on where you're coming from (and when) it may be faster that the I-95. Either way, by the time you hit I-95 in SC (either via the 95 straight or the 81-77-26 configuration) it will be quickest to stay on the 95 until you get to the HH exit #8.

Traffic days in summer are worst on Saturday, as most rentals begin and end on this day. Try to plan accordingly. In the least, get an early start if you have to travel that day.

Question for any HHI vet - would there be any need to have beach chairs and/or umbrella in March? We're going for Spring Break 3/29-4/2 and while I was thinking we would play at the beach I wasn't really expecting to have a true beach day since the water will still be too cold. Am I wrong?

Hey everyone...Since this summer will be our first trip to HHI I am just assuming that there will be a towel cart / stand somewhere at the beach house that we can borrow towels from for the beach? :confused3 Since we're driving it won't be as critical as when we fly - I'll have the space to BRING beach towels...but sometimes it's nice to grab a fresh one.

ALSO wanted to share with everyone that I was at Costco today and found some nice backpack style (canvas) sling beach chairs with aluminum frames for $23 each. They have an adjustable neck pillow, a cup holder and a built-in insulated cooler pouch + a storage pouch on the backs along with a folding towel bar. Because they're aluminum frames they shouldn't rust and they're pretty lightweight. Made by Tommy Bahama...they came in navy, red and a tan color. ALSO found matching 7' umbrellas with a SPF 100 canopy for $20!! :thumbsup2 I thought they were a steal so I grabbed a chair for each of us + an umbrella. (They say they have a max. weight limit of 300 Lbs.)

We got in on the chair swap at Vero Beach last summer and they had similar backpack style beach chairs & they were really handy to free up your hands for all the other stuff you schlep to the beach when you go!! :thumbsup2

I tried to look for them online but they're not on the Costco website. I found these that are very similar. The ones I found today have plastic arms not wooden and there are 2 smaller pouches on the back rather than one large one.:thumbsup2

http://www.beachmall.com/product/WTB5363/Backpack-Chairs--Heavy-Duty-Backpack-Beach-Chair--Tommy-Bahama.html?meta=BINGCB&metacpg=WTB5363&utm_source=BINGCB&utm_medium=CPC&utm_content=&utm_campaign=WTB5363&jftid=3:09c5cba8-d349-4d38-81d5-1c6f098dcf5d

This has been SUCH a miserable winter I am psyched up for the beach already!!

Hilton Head has beach towels in your room now - ie 4 in a studio, 8 in a 2 bedroom - green and white striped ones.

Question for any HHI vet - would there be any need to have beach chairs and/or umbrella in March? We're going for Spring Break 3/29-4/2 and while I was thinking we would play at the beach I wasn't really expecting to have a true beach day since the water will still be too cold. Am I wrong?

I don't know if we qualify as "HHI vets" (if not we'll keep going til we do-I love that place!). But we have been around your trip dates. From our experience with that week, you're right in your thinking. However, whenever we go we always seem to miss the warm weather by a week or so-"you should have been here last week, it was in the 80s" or "It's never been this cold".

Question for any HHI vet - would there be any need to have beach chairs and/or umbrella in March?

I would plan to hit the beach as March can be very mild weather wise. The water will be chilly but a stroll up/down the beach is a great way to relax.
No bugs too!

We just recently became DVC members :banana: and booked our very first vacation at HHI July 18-23. Cannot wait!!!

Can anyone tell me what kind of activities they have during July and costs associated. I've been trying to find some information about this but just can't seem to. :confused3

Thank you!

We just booked HHI from 8/28-9/4. We were there a few years ago and loved it! Can't wait to go back!

please let me know when you are going and I'll add you.

03/13 - 03/19 disneystick
03/14 - 03/19 ont/ohana
03/14 - 03/19 srp1103

We'll be there 03/14-03/19 too!

We will be there from the 14th to 19th, we agree can't wait to escape the Ontario snow.

Snow? You have snow?
(Well, we have some, but, nothing worth talking about compared to normal years.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter