HHI Review

stacy6552

Keep to the code!
Hey gang! We're back!

We spent 5 days at HHI and loved it!

Building 21 was a great location, though I wasn't sure about it when they showed it to us on the map. Close ot parking, but not on top of it. Close to pool, but not on top of it. Quiet courtyard view.

Beach house was great. We got their early each morning and parked underneath in the shade-not hot car to get back into. Bathrooms clean, food standard counter service quality, which is pretty good. Theres a lifeguard right in front of the house, so there was always someone close by.

Beach was big. Water warm. We got a bunch on sand dollars and a star fish.

Tips that were good: Bringing own chairs and umbrellas. Thumbs up. Bug spray: thumbs up. Sweatshirts: thumbs up. Heres the thing that we didint get warned about. Teh sweatshirts are for the resturaunts! We ate at Fudruckers the first night. The fans were so high that it blew our big stack of napkins off the table. People were freezing, but the manager didnt care.

Which bring us to food reviews...fudruckers:good food bad service, subzero temps. Kingfishers is right over the bridge on the left (facing away from the resort). The food was pricey but just ok. The service was horrible and the tip included in the bill. Thumbs down. The "fish market" to the right of the bridge was much better, though small. call ahead and/or arrive early. We ate at the BBQ on Tuesday and had a good time.

The staff at the resort was fantastic as usual. The lifeguards doubled as camp counselor like activities leaders. Knew the kids names and talked to everyone.

Thanks for the review. Did you encounter a lot of jellyfish?

Nice Review! We are going there in 8 days! Did you/SO play any golf? And how was the weather?
Any other good activities that were good?
Thanks for the update!
DeerH

We were there 7/2 - 7/4 and did encounter Jellyfish - well DD - 6 did twice?

The lifeguards are great - all you need to do is to put wet sand on the sting - clean it off in the ocean and then go back to the lifeguard and then they will pour vinegar on it. The sting when away really fast. Fast enough for her to get another sting.

People that got stung really got carried away - one woman screamed and walked off the beach.

When it is warm water - you have to expect to see Jellyfish.

actually we didint see any jellies. I didnt notice anyone else reacting to them either.

DH didnt play any golf (phew).

Weather was hot hot hot. but still bring those jackets or sweatshirts for dinning out.

We listened to B'lou Crabbe tell ghost stories. That was cool, but probably not good if youve got antsy kids. We also went to the camp fire the last night and that was loads of fun. Brings you right back to camp. We hit the beach through lunch and then swam after "quiet time" and didnt really hit many of the organized stuff, though.

Hi,

Thanks for the review! Can't wait to back next May!!

Allison an associate

:tongue: sounds like your trip was a good one. Sorry about your dining experiences. Maybe next time....

July:Pinkbounc

Agree with Kingfisher review, just so. But we love Scott's Fish Market(your fishmarket). It had always had great food and service. We have been at least 4 times, once on NYE. We also love Old Oyster Factory and for diner fare-HH diner(open 24 hours). Mexicam restaurant at Shelter Cove is also good...been to others, buwon't go on. We love HHI resort and added on their in 2002.
Connears

Just a note on the starfish -

When we were there last July my boys found a starfish on the beach. THe lifeguard came up to us and told us that we needed to return it to the ocean. I don't know the exact rules on what can be removed from the beach. The lifeguard was very nice about it.

We were told that there is a $500 fine for taking the sand dollars, but we saw lots of people loading up their pockets and then sneaking them back to their beach bags.:o

Originally posted by BWVDenise
We were told that there is a $500 fine for taking the sand dollars, but we saw lots of people loading up there pockets and then sneaking them back to their beach bags.:o

That is so sad. I wish that there was a better way to patrol for "poachers" like this -- especially when you know that many of those sand dollars will never even make it back home -- they'll either be left behind at the resort (after they're dead, of course) or broken. There are a lot of gift shops in Hilton Head that sell all kinds of shells, sand dollars, starfish, etc., fairly inexpensively. And many of them are considerably larger than the ones you are able to pick up along the shore.

Off soapbox now. ;)

"Originally posted by BWVDenise
We were told that there is a $500 fine for taking the sand dollars, but we saw lots of people loading up there pockets and then sneaking them back to their beach bags.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is so sad. I wish that there was a better way to patrol for "poachers" like this -- especially when you know that many of those sand dollars will never even make it back home -- they'll either be left behind at the resort (after they're dead, of course) or broken. There are a lot of gift shops in Hilton Head that sell all kinds of shells, sand dollars, starfish, etc., fairly inexpensively. And many of them are considerably larger than the ones you are able to pick up along the shore.

Off soapbox now. "
You cannot take live sand dollars, and yes there is a substantial fine for taking many species. There is no problem that I know off with taking dead ones. The live ones are easy to tell - they still have hairs along the edge of the shell, and are more brownish purplish in color. The dead ones have started turning lighter in color, and are more grayish. If you do the beach walk with Chris the naturalist, he will show you the difference and tell you what can be taken. He will also tell you how to bleach out the shells. Or, you can get one in a giftshop. The beachwalk is a lot more fun, and informative.
Chuckling at the 'loading up their pockets'! The sand dollars are very delicate, and must be handled carefully when you find them on the beach as they will just crumble away - like sand.
:earsgirl:

Where does everyone go to load up on groceries? Is there someplace convenient on the island or do you need to stop before you get to the island?

Bobbi

Maybe someone has a better place, but we always go over to the Piggly Wiggly. Very convenient, close (DH walked over there one day), and prices were surprisingly reasonable for a resort Island.

Just thought I'd update you all...I got a personal email from the Management at Fudruckers. They apologized, spoke to the shift manager and asked that we give them another shot.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter