HHI resturaunt reviews wanted!

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
Can anyone please give me their thoughts on the following resturants-Charlie's Crab, Nick's Steak and Seafood, Cafe Europa, Kingfisher, Old Oyster Factory? Also, are there any particular resturaunts, especially for seafood, that you'd recommend (already planning on Captain's Seafood and Scott's Fish Market)? Thanks!

For a casual, family-friendly seafood dinner, I recommend Hudson's. Not the fanciest, but we've never been disappointed. The hushpuppies are the best ever!

The Sea Shack is also definitely worth a try. It's small, and not well-known, but the food is always great. It looks like a local greasy-spoon from the outside, but it's truly one of Hilton Head's secrets!

We also really liked Alexander's (in Palmetto Dunes, on the way to the beach house) for a more elegant dinner.

Enjoy! Be sure to post back and let us all know which ones you tried and what you thought of them!

Does anyone have any specific recommendations for Easter SUnday brunch or dinner?

Thanks!
Renee

We ate at Charley's Crab last summer and had a great meal as well as great service. I would definitely go back there.

We wanted to eat at the Old Oyster Factory, but the wait was huge, I think it was something like 2 hours, and others in our party did not want to wait. It was suggested to get there around 5:30 if you don't want such a long wait. We never made it back but definitely plan to on our next trip.

Below is my list. Love Old Oyster for family style seafood, read info below about the discouns. Cafe Europa is also great and have a nice bruch but I dont think it's a buffet type. The Westin is kind of expensive but everyone raves about it as a bruch. We haven't been impressed with Charley's Crab or Hudsons but it seems to be hit or mis. Haven't eaten at Scott's, Kingfisher or Nick's. You can likely add the Redfish to the list below from what I've heard.

Fine Dining
  1. Old Fort Pub
  2. Sunset Grill
  3. Fitzgerald's
  4. Charlie's (french something)
  5. Alexander's
  6. Charleston's
  7. Santa Fe
  8. Captain's table
  9. Cafe Europa
    [/list=1]
    Pizza
    1. Dunes (I believe it closed and another pizza place is there now)
    2. Guisseppi's
      [/list=1] Both right close by DVC
      Fun/Family
      1. Old Bamboo
      2. Old Oyster Factory
      3. Truffle's
      4. Wild Wings
      5. Hafbrauhouse (? sp)
      6. Crazy Crab, especially at Harbour Town
        [/list=1]

I'd avoid CQ's and Charlie's Crab.

Others to consider that I don't know much about are:
        1. HH and Blufton Diner
        2. Alligator Grill
        3. Abe's Shrimp House
        4. South Beach Cafe (? name)
        5. Scott's
        6. Kingfisher's (recommended for seafood by a friend and right by DVC)
        7. La Pola (in with Kingfisher's)
        8. Quarter Deck
        9. Harbor Masters
        10. Westin Seafood Buffet
        11. Cafe at Wexford
        12. Tony Roma's (how different can it be)
        13. Hudson's (near Old Ft Pub, my partner really liked it)
          [/list=1]

Discounts, DVC has a discount list, just use your room key or member card. Many of these above have early bird specials. There is a Restaurant Guide that has menus as well as a list of early birds, etc. For seafood, Old Oyster Factory is a must but doesn't take reservations. There are coupons in the books for free salads and they let me use the free salad as well as DVC 10% off both. If you at all like wings, Wild Wings is a must, I think they have 23 flavors of Wings. Best steak was Fitzgerald's. Old Bamboo is like World War II or MASH, good food also. Best Views were South Beach Cafe, Cafe Europa, Quarterdeck, Old Ft Pub, Sunset Grill (so I'm told) and maybes Harbormasters and Kingfishers. Best Value likely Old Bamboo, Wings, Old Oyster Factory, Dunes Pizza. Some of these are in Sea Pines and there is a $5 fee per day.

Guiseppi's (sp) is a tradition for us. We MUST go there at least once a visit. We have eaten inside, outside, and picked up pizza to go.

Scott's Fish Market has the best conch chowder I have ever had. We sat outside one afternoon for a snack and a drink, but never inside or a full meal.

The Sea Shack is a small local place with great local food.

But the BEST was the fresh, thirty pound mackeral that DS 13 caught when out charter fishing!!!! They brought it back and we grilled it.......yummy!!!!

Karen

Wow, this is a great forum. I just wanted to post my 2 cents.

Charleston's is now closed. There is a new restaurant there that has great food also.

A couple of our favorites are:

Charlie's Crab - Great dinners, upscale.

Dosido's - On the south end, I grew up in the mid-west and moved to Hilton Head Island 4.5 years ago, the ribs here are the best ribs you will have in your entire life. You can literally shake the meat off the bone. Casual.

Boathouse II - right next to Charlie's Crab, this is simply great food. Upscale - Casual

The SeaShack - You most likely won't find this place unless you ask a local, we try to keep this one a secret from all the tourists. Very Casual.

For Pizza I recommend Guiseppi's or Mellow Mushroom, both great.

For a good sub, grinder, or salad stop by Stu's on the south end in the Coligny Plaza.

I hope you all enjoy your vacation!

Originally posted by yvt360
Wow, this is a great forum. I just wanted to post my 2 cents.

Charleston's is now closed. There is a new restaurant there that has great food also.
I had heard that as a rumor recently, disappointing. Actually the same rumor said that Charlie's above had moved from near DVC to that building.

Originally posted by Dean
I had heard that as a rumor recently, disappointing. Actually the same rumor said that Charlie's above had moved from near DVC to that building.

It's Charlie's L'etoile (not to be confused with Charley's Crab) that has moved to where Charleston's used to be. This is on our "to-do" list for a future trip. They don't advertise, but I've heard from several locals that it is fantastic.

Alligator Grill, Abe's, and LaPola are also history. :( (Although Kingfisher is still alive and well.)

Spartina Grill used to be one of our favorites. The owners moved to California and some of the former employees have reopened it as Garden Oak Grill. We tried it once and liked it, although it was still having some "growing pains". We plan to try it again on a future trip, though.

We ate at the Garden Oak Grill during our Aug. trip & thought it was the best meal we had (after our Private Affair with Chef Gordon). It did not have a "touristy-feel" and there seem to be more year-round residents eating there. On a different note, I just read a wonderful review by Jan & Michael Stern/Roadfood, in Gourmet magazine, about a diner in Beaufort called either Sgt. White's diner or Sgt. Billy's diner. The owner is a former Marine cook, who left a restaurant in HHI to open his own place. It is a no-frill good quality, generous portion Southern-cooking kind of place, which I'm sure is why it caught the attention of the Sterns. I've followed their suggestions, in the past & have always enjoyed them If anyone know anything about this diner, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks so much for everyone's input! I've gotten so much great help here, I'll be sure to weigh in (probably heavily) with my reviews when I return. So many resturaunts-so little time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter