HHI Restaurants and Activities

jenavive

Earning My Ears
We are headed to HHI this summer. This is our second time at the DVC resort. We loved our relaxing trip there last year, but due to limited availability, the trip was shorter than we had wanted. This year, we will be staying for one week. I am hoping for some new, kid friendly places to eat there. We went to The Salty Dog last year and enjoyed it. Any suggestions?

Also, I know we are hoping to be able to do the dinner at the resort on Tuesday evening. How soon can you call to get reservatons or do you have to wait until check-in?

Finally, are there any other activities or places that we should be sure to check out?

We also love Salty Dog. Sea Shack is good and VERY casual. There's another place down Pope Ave-I can't remember the name, but ask Dottie in the Mercantile-she recommended it to us. It's on the first floor. Captain Woody's is good, but kind of small. We liked KennyB's a lot the first time we went, just OK the second time. Maybe others will comment. Sorry, we've never gone in the summer, so we don't know about the resort's dinner.
There are lots of resort activities for kids and families-check the activity schedule when you check in.

Our favorite HH restaurant is Frankie Bones http://www.frankieboneshhi.com/

We went here http://www.onehotmamas.com/ last trip and it was good.

We always hit Scott's Fish Market(first restaurant on the right when you come across the bridge) www.scottsfishmarket.com and Wild Wing Cafe
http://www.wildwingcafe.com/our-locations/hilton-head-island-sc.php

Marley's Island Grille is good too. http://marleyshhi.com/

WOW :dance3: All of these restaurants look great. We are headed down in JUne and added these to the list to try. We went for the first time last year but I did little planning so we stayed close to the resort. This time I plan to venture out more. And all of them have kids menus which will make it much easier for me with 2 kiddies. Thanks for sharing :worship:

All of those sound wonderful. I will check out their menus online and hopefully we will have some new places to try. We are counting down the days until we arrive. Can't wait!!! Thanks for the suggestions!!!!

Go to HHIdining.com and you can find all kinds of restaurants on the island. We also stop at the visitor center (next to Crazy Crab) as you get on theisland and pick up the HUGE menu book. we also love Frankie Bones, Sea Shack is very good, but in the summer the waits are very long!!!

We'll be there for 4th july this year(5th summer in arow-but we usually go early June) so I'm planning on trying some new restaurants this time also.

No kids though, mine is 20 now!

Connears

We loved lunch at Parrot Cove, just across the bridge in Shelter Cove. It was small, casual, and reasonably priced. They had a sauce on their shrimp that was to die for. If you sit a fresco you can hear the out door entertainment in the evenings.

We ordered out from the Sea Shack this year and that was much better. We also order out pizza one night from Guiseppe's there close to the resort. Also heard good things about Capt Woody's and Hot Mama's BBQ. We bought the kids yummy cupcakes at a place in the Piggly Wiggly center near the main beach access. Don't forget the Key Lime Pie from Publix - I think it is the best!

Again, those all sound wonderful! I think I will make a list of several places named so we can check their menus and plan our meals. We are soooo excited to have been able to get a reservation there again this summer!!!

We went to One Hot Mama's in August for the first time and will add it to our list of favorites. Everyone was very happy with it, DH & I were particularly happy with prices, sandwich/burger platters & entres were definitely more than enough food. It stays open a bit later than many restaurants on island which is helpful for our family because we tend to eat later in the evening when on a beach vacation.

We also tried for first time San Miguel's at Shelter Cove; our family & my brother's, half liked and half disliked, while some dishes seemed authentically prepared others seemed like they were prepackaged heat & serve stuff :confused3 and DD ordered chicken flautas that looked like luncheon meat thin turkey slices & smelled and tasted like that as well :confused:

We also like Bamboo's, Guiseppe's too. On our next trip we hope to try Alligator Grill and Roastfish & Cornbread, have heard good things about them.

DH & I love :love: Flamingoes for baked goods too.

My husband and I are also planning a trip to HHI and have never been to the island before. All of these places sound great but I'm wondering if you need to drive to all of them or are any in walking distance? Is there transportation available either through the resort or public (cabs, etc.)? Not sure if we need to rent a car.

My husband and I are also planning a trip to HHI and have never been to the island before. All of these places sound great but I'm wondering if you need to drive to all of them or are any in walking distance? Is there transportation available either through the resort or public (cabs, etc.)? Not sure if we need to rent a car.

You don't go to Hilton Head without a car <g>. It's necessary.

The Smoke House is GREAT! Have to get there homemade potato chips with the dip! Last year the Salty Dog was not good compared to the year before.

I remember seeing something about The Smokehouse when we were there. Sounds fabulous!!! I love homemade chips!!!

Another vote for Frankie Bones, the best meal all week. We plan on trying for 2 weeks next summer and the older kids have already requested multiplt visits. We all enjoyed it!

We also enjoyed the Pirate Cookout, everybody had a blast and the food was typical Disney ribs, burgers, etc. But the activites were great.

As you exit the resort, the place on your left, don't remember the name but we were very unhappy with the quality of that meal.

The Crab Shack by the lighthouse was also pretty good.

I've noticed that no one mentioned Parrot Cove, which is in Shelter Cove, across from the resort. They have all you can eat crab legs a couple times during the week, and they are fabulous. We ate there last year and really, really loved it. In fact, it was probably our favorite meal. We'd definitely go back. And the fact that it's a short walk from the resort makes it even better. We also visited the Salty Dog which was pretty good, too!

If you need a sugar fix my girls love the Flamingo's House of Donuts also. Its a create your own kind of donut place where you chose the glaze and toppings and they make them fresh for you. Yummy!! I think they are only open morning through mid afternoon.

Can anyone recommend some good nearby restaurants with good take out? We want to eat some meals at the resort without having to cook. We are going the second week of August and haven't been there in 5 years. So anxious to go back.

Can anyone recommend some good nearby restaurants with good take out? We want to eat some meals at the resort without having to cook. We are going the second week of August and haven't been there in 5 years. So anxious to go back.

See this link to One Hot Mama's, in addition to this meal to go for 4, I think you can also order take-out from their regular menu

http://www.onehotmamas.com/emails/togo.html

You can get take-out at Giuseppie's Pizza & Pasta at Shelter Cove, Frosty Frog Cafe at Coligny Plaza and both Crazy Crab's too.

There is a service on HHI called Express Restaurant Delivery that delivers to resort from over 20 restaurants ( you can even order from more than one restaurant ); we've never tried them out but they have been doing this for over 15 years or more so I guess they are reliable.

Most likely many restaurants will be willing to make to go orders.

Have a great time :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter