HHI rentals of kayaks...etc

NJDVCmember

Mouseketeer
Did not see a recent post.

Can we rent kayaks and paddle boards through the resort? If no can we store our rentals on the island?
Thanks!

The resort kayaks are stored at the end of the island. I believe that the rental kayaks from Outside Hilton head must be returned to their dock each day. It is less than 100 yards from the Outside HH dock to the resort kayak racks on the marsh side of the island. I have seen some guests at the resort rooftop their personal kayaks to the resort and they usually keep put them back on their vehicle each day.

We just got back from HHI. We had planned to rent kayaks but ended up not doing it this time. We have rented from Outside HH on a previous trip and were satisfied. Super easy to walk over to rent and then launch right into Broad Creek. What we had planned to do this time was to try out some other areas on the island. What we found out is that you can rent kayaks from the Outside HH in the Shelter Cove Shopping Center (close to Giuseppi's) and take them anywhere on the island you want. You can keep them for a full 24 hours. So if you pick them up at 1:00 one day, you don't have to have them back until 1:00 the next day. (The Outside HH at the Shelter Cove Marina is not able to do this.) Of course, you can rent them for several days if you like. As far as storage, both Outside HH and Disney informed me that we could keep them outside our villa, no problem. But like I said, we ended up not doing it, so I'm not speaking from actual experience but from what I was told.

We just got back from HHI. We had planned to rent kayaks but ended up not doing it this time. We have rented from Outside HH on a previous trip and were satisfied. Super easy to walk over to rent and then launch right into Broad Creek. What we had planned to do this time was to try out some other areas on the island. What we found out is that you can rent kayaks from the Outside HH in the Shelter Cove Shopping Center (close to Giuseppi's) and take them anywhere on the island you want. You can keep them for a full 24 hours. So if you pick them up at 1:00 one day, you don't have to have them back until 1:00 the next day. (The Outside HH at the Shelter Cove Marina is not able to do this.) Of course, you can rent them for several days if you like. As far as storage, both Outside HH and Disney informed me that we could keep them outside our villa, no problem. But like I said, we ended up not doing it, so I'm not speaking from actual experience but from what I was told.
We were at HH once a few years ago, end of May and loved it, had a great time.
Did not do Kyacking there, but here is my question. Is there any danger of alligators like there is at Disney, fresh water bodies of water? THANKS!:goodvibes

Did not do Kyacking there, but here is my question. Is there any danger of alligators like there is at Disney, fresh water bodies of water? THANKS!:goodvibes

Been going to HHI for over 40 years. DVC member since 1999.....I have not seen gators in the marsh...but I do think they are there!!! I'm wanting a two person kayak so my husband can get out and push us if need be! haha

The naturalist there has told us that there may be alligators in the marsh, but it's only when they need to get parasites off of them. They come into the marsh because I think the salt helps rid them of the parasites. I've never seen one though. Our DS20 was told not to fish at the kayak launch this time, not because of the alligators, but they said there was a family of river otters that lived in the rocks. But they are putting a fence up at the kayak launch, presumably due to the alligator incident two years ago at WDW. It appears to be the same kind of fence they placed around the beaches at WDW. They put the signs up shortly after that incident. But I don't think there is a huge fear of alligators there. Disney still does the Pinckney Island tour where they have you walk around a freshwater lake that has huge alligators in it, and they also still do the marsh walk where you actually put on mud boots and walk out into the marsh. I'm waiting for those things to end though.

We also just got back from DHHIR and rented from Outside Hilton Head. For the second year in a row we rented a pontoon boat. It was pricey, about $240 for 2 hours, but the kids had a blast. We packed a lunch from Kroger and took a cruise down to Harbor Town where we ate with a view of the lighthouse. We saw a few dolphins, including a super friendly one we met last year who swam so close to the boat we could touch him (we didn’t try to touch him but locals think they come so close because some people feed them). Dolphin cruises are expensive so having your own private pontoon to cruise around wasn’t much more.

Wow great info.

We will be there in August. Our only previous trip was in 2012. We had booked a kayaking excursion but it was canceled due to the treat of thunderstorms, which never came.

We are only there 3 nights this year before heading to WDW with a stay at VGF, so I am not sure if we will fit it in. I think my college age sons and friends may give it a go.

Wow great info.

We will be there in August. Our only previous trip was in 2012. We had booked a kayaking excursion but it was canceled due to the treat of thunderstorms, which never came.

We are only there 3 nights this year before heading to WDW with a stay at VGF, so I am not sure if we will fit it in. I think my college age sons and friends may give it a go.
Kyacking is fun! DH and me have done it in different places in the Northeast on a double kyack, a tandem. So RELAXING! Hope that your sons enjoy! When we were at HH with our 2 older sons a few years ago, then 28 and 19, right before Memorial Day, we all rented jet skis at the Lighthouse. That was AWESOME also!:yay:ENJOY, HHI is such a nice place to vacation with older kids!:cheer2:

Kyacking is fun! DH and me have done it in different places in the Northeast on a double kyack, a tandem. So RELAXING! Hope that your sons enjoy! When we were at HH with our 2 older sons a few years ago, then 28 and 19, right before Memorial Day, we all rented jet skis at the Lighthouse. That was AWESOME also!:yay:ENJOY, HHI is such a nice place to vacation with older kids!:cheer2:

Didn’t know about jet skis, thanks.

We are looking for a guided tour. Should we book with Outside Hilton Head in advance or wait until we arrive and do the onsite tour? We are only staying two nights so I'm a little hesitant to wait til we arrive to book it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter