*HHI Owners and Beach Lovers Group Thread*

Those look like the original pictures. I remember when they changed out the plaid sofa we got the leatherette ejecto sofa in a solid color green. You would slide right of it. Original one and two bedrooms had some decor that I haven't seen in a few years - little bird houses set sort of at window sill height on the banquette seating. Year by year they kept disappearing, sort of like the Fiesta ware dishes all disappeared. (Many of those probably chipped or broke and the Fiesta also gets scratched up with regular use.)

The last refurb is when we got the most notable changes. Green to cream. Bird valances. Sleeper chair. Sleeper chair and new sofa replaced old sofa and 2 occasional chairs. (At that point there was no longer a comfortable seat in the living area, lol.) Vinyl plank Flooring (no more Shadow pawprints). Flat topped stoves. New dining chairs - one pic shows the old style. I do like the new style better. And, I like less of the green paint. Porches over the years went from wooden rockers to the composite ones. Picnic tables on the porches went from rectangular wooden 8 or 10 ft tables with long benches to the smaller round ones we have today. I'm okay with that as the big ones took up lots of space. And the new composite is easier to clean, doesn't rot and you can wipe it dry. Most progress has been good.

I'd just really appreciate a sofa you could sit on that the cushions didn't slide forward. And, I hope they keep the rolling coffee tables.
It will be interesting to see what changes are made with the upcoming refurb.
I hope for the best, but sounds like more CCV look alike than BRV original.

I also miss the tiles with the Shadow paw prints. A certain storyteller told us (2 years ago) they were transitioning the resort from an early 20th century fish camp to late 70's Florida. I will also be happy when they get rid of the sleeper sofa's with the sliding cushions.
But, we still love the resort, the CM's, and the island. Just got back from a 9 night trip and had a wonderful time. It is relaxing and there are a lot of great restaurants on the Island. American flies into HHI and we have seen a mix of decent and expensive prices. Allegiant is flying into Savannah. I recommend a car on the Island but you can cover a lot of miles with a bicycle.

Does anyone remember in the early 2000's when Shadow was never seen? Our kids would ask the CM's and they always said you just missed him/her.

Sleepydog25, I've always just made my room requests through MS, and I've always gotten my requests except for two times. I like the idea of calling the front desk a few days before. When calling, who should I ask for?
You'll usually get someone in the back office or, occasionally, a front desk person. Just tell whomever it is that you'd like to follow up on any request you've already made or to put a request for the first time if you haven't already. They'll make note of it. ;) Again, as you know, it's a request not a guarantee. And, yes, the MS folks make the same notations, but calling to reinforce that or ensure that request has been noted is simply a way to keep the idea fresh.pirate:

I also miss the tiles with the Shadow paw prints. A certain storyteller told us (2 years ago) they were transitioning the resort from an early 20th century fish camp to late 70's Florida. I will also be happy when they get rid of the sleeper sofa's with the sliding cushions.
But, we still love the resort, the CM's, and the island. Just got back from a 9 night trip and had a wonderful time. It is relaxing and there are a lot of great restaurants on the Island. American flies into HHI and we have seen a mix of decent and expensive prices. Allegiant is flying into Savannah. I recommend a car on the Island but you can cover a lot of miles with a bicycle.

Does anyone remember in the early 2000's when Shadow was never seen? Our kids would ask the CM's and they always said you just missed him/her.

A storyteller at the resort told me that also! Several of us there decided that, if Disney had understood how much people loved those paw prints, they might have taken a bunch of the tiles over to the Mercantile and sold them. I'll bet lots of people would have been happy to buy a tile. Maybe put it up in their own homes. Regarding the refurbishment now, I've been toying with the idea of calling the resort about those lovely lamps with carved birds, also the shadow boxes over the beds of carved birds. DH and I are bird watchers (do lots of bird watching at HHI. We'd love to buy those.

Any tips/suggestions on getting to Dafuskie Island? Is a tour of the island necessary/advised?

The SilverDew Winery looks intriguing, but I cannot find info on how to book a tasting.

Any tips/suggestions on getting to Dafuskie Island? Is a tour of the island necessary/advised?

The SilverDew Winery looks intriguing, but I cannot find info on how to book a tasting.
We did the Dafuskie island tour with the company that was featured through the resort. We had golf carts to go around the island, and the narrative was excellent. There’s not much on the island in the sense of activities or things to buy. It’s historical, and I really think it’s best to learn about what you are seeing!

First visit in 1997 and continuous visits since then and do not recall either the storyteller or Shadow in those early years other than as a legend. The legend was in printed form on one of the check in handouts, and of course the paw prints were in the villas. I don't remember the exact year that a real Shadow appeared, but I do think it added a character or two to the resort and I enjoyed both.

Does anyone know the scent of DHHIR in the Live Oak Lodge?
I have tried to find a candle that is similar, but no luck so far.

Is one night at DHHI resort worth it? We have been wanting to try this resort for a few years but there was never any availability (we are not DVC members). We will be in Hilton Head for our spring break vacation this year, so I decided to check for availability and managed to get a single night at the end of our stay in HH. Now I’m debating if a single night is worth it.

Is one night at DHHI resort worth it? We have been wanting to try this resort for a few years but there was never any availability (we are not DVC members). We will be in Hilton Head for our spring break vacation this year, so I decided to check for availability and managed to get a single night at the end of our stay in HH. Now I’m debating if a single night is worth it.
For us it is! We live in Savannah so we plan 1 night short getaways a few times a year and then usually go for a longer trip. We enjoy being able to go and relax. One of the only places you can do that with a Disney feel. You will be hooked :)

We highly recommend trying DHHIR!
Our first visit was for one night in 2021 and it made us buy DHHIR as our home resort for DVC!

For us it is! We live in Savannah so we plan 1 night short getaways a few times a year and then usually go for a longer trip. We enjoy being able to go and relax. One of the only places you can do that with a Disney feel. You will be hooked :)
DHHIR is our relaxing place as well!
We live in Aiken, SC 3 hours away and we try to stay at DHHIR one night every few months. (we are going this weekend in a studio for one night)

Does anyone have the March activity guide for DHHIR?
Maybe I should start posting the monthly on Post 2 of Page 1 of this thread...

Does anyone know the scent of DHHIR in the Live Oak Lodge?
I have tried to find a candle that is similar, but no luck so far.
It's called Earadescense and is a scent developed specifically for the 50th Anniversary of WDW which is likely why you've not been able to find it. I gotta say, for me, it can be overpowering. pirate:
Does anyone have the March activity guide for DHHIR?
Maybe I should start posting the monthly on Post 2 of Page 1 of this thread...
I don't have one, but that would be a great idea to start putting them on Page 1 if you can get them!

It's called Earadescense and is a scent developed specifically for the 50th Anniversary of WDW which is likely why you've not been able to find it. I gotta say, for me, it can be overpowering. pirate:

I don't have one, but that would be a great idea to start putting them on Page 1 if you can get them!
Thank you for the info! I will take a picture of the guide this weekend and post it for everyone on here.
Was there a scent in the Live Oak Lodge before the 50th? (Maybe it will return after the 50th)

Thank you for the info! I will take a picture of the guide this weekend and post it for everyone on here.
Was there a scent in the Live Oak Lodge before the 50th? (Maybe it will return after the 50th)
There was but it wasn't always in use due to supply issues. Sometimes, it was Eau de Bleach wafting in from the restrooms or Chanel Fresh Wave #5. pirate:

Have a wonderful stay Bobbi! I just received my email yesterday to start the check in process. It isn’t allowing me to do so, or add the celebration of my milestone birthday, but I believe it is because I need to wait another 15 hours lol, the countdown shows 10 days, 14hours! :goodvibes

We are about 20 minutes from the resort! Other friends flying in or driving and everyone should be there by 4!
Enjoy your trip!
We may have passed you yesterday at the resort.
We were in the community hall until about 1 making vacation pillows and eating lunch.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter