HHI no longer live trip report. updated 6/8

When you talk about early in June are talking first week or even second week? I guess I will find out in the Fall when our seven month window will open up. We are looking at a 1 bedroom. Are they plentiful at HHI?

There are more 2 bedrooms than any other category at HHI. However if you are booking in the may and early June they might not be too bad to get. It's after schools let out that HHI books up more.

we went the first week of june. my kids get out just before memorial day so it's easy for us to go then. We got a 1 bedroom this time. it's great there. We are lucky and only 4 1/2 hours away so it's an easy trip for us. Good Luck!

Here's hoping we can get a one bedroom for 2013 in May or June. I am still unsure if our kids will be able to go 12 hours in the car. The 7 hours to get to my in-laws are too long for them. Any suggestions on over night stays on the way to HHI?

Tink SS do you own at HHI or just BLT like us?

Thanks for the trip report...and for everyone else for posting their feedback. We just booked a trip for November and can't wait! It'll be our first time visiting the island! I've been a little apprehensive about bringing two little ones, our girls will be 7 and 5, and were unsure there'd be enough to do. I feel much better after reading this!

As far as the car ride, we've done long drives a few times. Movies definitely help! I also put together a little bag for each kid. I buy a few new small toys and coloring books to keep them occupied during the drive. Also the games as others have said such as I Spy. We enjoy the drive!

Thanks for the trip report...and for everyone else for posting their feedback. We just booked a trip for November and can't wait! It'll be our first time visiting the island! I've been a little apprehensive about bringing two little ones, our girls will be 7 and 5, and were unsure there'd be enough to do. I feel much better after reading this!

As far as the car ride, we've done long drives a few times. Movies definitely help! I also put together a little bag for each kid. I buy a few new small toys and coloring books to keep them occupied during the drive. Also the games as others have said such as I Spy. We enjoy the drive!

OH, your kids will have plenty to do. My boys are getting a little old for the craft things but still had plenty to do. The CM's have some many things for the kids to do as well as kids night out, tours to watch beach life and sea shells, etc. So much for them. the best part is that the kids will stay busy but you won't be exhausted at the end of the day!

Tinks "SS";45259592 said:
We own only at BLT. I hope to change that in the near future hopefully!!

Are you thinking of buying into HHI? You must really like it. Sure hope we can get in next year to try it out. Maybe by then our kids will travel better in the car. I am more worried about our youngest being only 2.

Are you thinking of buying into HHI? You must really like it. Sure hope we can get in next year to try it out. Maybe by then our kids will travel better in the car. I am more worried about our youngest being only 2.

Loved it! My DH really likes it better than WDW. We want to buy points there in a few years but we even discussed buying a condo there and rent it out if we can ever afford it so we can go when we want to. :lmao: This is coming from my DH who i have to make him take a vacation.

Tinks "SS";45288431 said:
Loved it! My DH really likes it better than WDW. We want to buy points there in a few years but we even discussed buying a condo there and rent it out if we can ever afford it so we can go when we want to. :lmao: This is coming from my DH who i have to make him take a vacation.

Sounds like your DH really likes HHI if he is looking into purchasing a condo. Is he the type that once he is on vacation, he really takes a vacation and that is why he enjoys HHI so much?

Thanks for you feedback, our kids will be 2 and 6 if we get in and go next year. Do you drive from DE? We would be driving from PA. If you do drive do you have any tips to share on traveling that long with little ones. We did book at BLT for the 11 month window for May 2013 but we are really hoping to get in at HHI at the 7month window for May or June or even July. What time of year do you typically go to HHI?

What part of PA are you in? We drive down every year and a few years ago, someone finally shared the 81 route with me. MUCH better. A bit longer but, avoid 95 until SC. So, much better.

We are heading to HHI next week from Pittsburgh. Children ages 9 and 12. We are interested in taking a dolphin tour mainly to see dolphins up close. How did that work out for you?
Thank you,

we did the dolphin tour through the resort and Captain Scott. he is wealth on knowledge and we got to see several up close. since they are in the wild, it is hard to predict where they will be. We did see some then they went and hid from some other boats. some hid under us. Scott also gave a great tour of the island by boat as well as the dolphin tour. We will do it again.

We are heading to HHI next week from Pittsburgh. Children ages 9 and 12. We are interested in taking a dolphin tour mainly to see dolphins up close. How did that work out for you?
Thank you,

Are you driving straight through from Pittsburgh? We are planning on going to HHI June 2013 and I am looking for advice on where to stop and stay over the night to split up the trip.

We stopped in rocky mount north carolina at a nice country inn and suites. Kids could make their own waffles for breakfast and there was a decent indoor pool opened for after dinner swimming.

On the way down we stopped at the lewis ginter botanical garden about 3:30 ish in richmond va. My kids loved it. There is a childrens garden with a splash pad for the kids to get good and wet ( i knew in advance and had extra clothes), and a nice butterfly exhibit. We were there for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours total- just did the butterflies and kids area plus the beautiful gift shop. (aaa discount avail) Then we drove on to nc and stopped for the night. Its about 5 hrs the next day.

The next day we stopped for lunch at a restaurant in south carolina - red bone alley. We were there just at 12. A little earlier may be better as there were already a lot of people - look at it on line. It took a little more time than i woul have liked but food was good and kids loved it.

Next time i may try to get to fayetteville and stop there.

We stopped in rocky mount north carolina at a nice country inn and suites. Kids could make their own waffles for breakfast and there was a decent indoor pool opened for after dinner swimming.

On the way down we stopped at the lewis ginter botanical garden about 3:30 ish in richmond va. My kids loved it. There is a childrens garden with a splash pad for the kids to get good and wet ( i knew in advance and had extra clothes), and a nice butterfly exhibit. We were there for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours total- just did the butterflies and kids area plus the beautiful gift shop. (aaa discount avail) Then we drove on to nc and stopped for the night. Its about 5 hrs the next day.

The next day we stopped for lunch at a restaurant in south carolina - red bone alley. We were there just at 12. A little earlier may be better as there were already a lot of people - look at it on line. It took a little more time than i woul have liked but food was good and kids loved it.

Next time i may try to get to fayetteville and stop there.

Thank you for all the detailed tips. You have been a tremendous help. Feels like a have a travel agent helping me with planning this trip for next year.:flower3:
What did you do for the drive home, same stops or drive straight through?

We did't get on the road from HHI until almost noon. We made an unfortunate stop at south of the border on he way home. I remembered it from when I was little - well it was pretty much a ghost town - to the point it was odd. So we had a quick not too great lunch and got back on the road. (I can't even close to recommend stopping there).

I had wanted to stop at Fascinate-U Childrens Museum (exit 52) in Fayetteville NC but the timing didn't work out as it closes at 5. I found it in Kids love I-95 (bought on amazon) and looked at it online and thought it looked great for my little girls. We drove a lot and stopped for the night outside DC at another country inn and suites. Next time I am going to try to stop there.

missycj96 said:
We did't get on the road from HHI until almost noon. We made an unfortunate stop at south of the border on he way home. I remembered it from when I was little - well it was pretty much a ghost town - to the point it was odd. So we had a quick not too great lunch and got back on the road. (I can't even close to recommend stopping there).

I had wanted to stop at Fascinate-U Childrens Museum (exit 52) in Fayetteville NC but the timing didn't work out as it closes at 5. I found it in Kids love I-95 (bought on amazon) and looked at it online and thought it looked great for my little girls. We drove a lot and stopped for the night outside DC at another country inn and suites. Next time I am going to try to stop there.

I will have to look at getting that book. Sounds like a lot of great info in it. I never thought of a dc stop along the way. Any other stops or tips to pass along?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter