HHI and VB Summer Availability?

donald#1

Earning My Ears
We have gone to Disney about seven times in the past ten years. We love the idea of DVC and are considering purchasing within the next year. On our next trip in October we are renting points at BWV and are so excited. On the years that we don't go to Disney, I'd like to be able to go to either HHI or VB. However it is likely that those trips would be in the summer. My question is how is the availability at those resorts over the summer if you have to book within the 7 month window? I expect that we would be flexible with dates.

Vero is easier then HH at 7 months. HH in the summer is the closest thing to impossible I've ever seen. Yes, there are always a few exceptions, but they are few and far between. Vero is easier in my opinion.

We are 3 for 3 booking VB during the summer at the 7 month mark. We were in the process of booking HHI day by day at the 7 month mark for last summer and we got our first 4 days no problem, but then another reservation popped up for Virginia Beach's The Boardwalk Resort and we jumped on that.

So to answer your question, we've had no probem at either resort if you're willing to call day by day.

HH has only 102 units. There are 21 studios, 21 1BR villas, 76 2BR vills (all dedicated) and 5 GVs.

While there is often some availability at 7 months, it is usually the 2BRs unless you are looking for weekend nites. The Studios, 1BRs and GVs do go quickly. However, the wailtist does work and many have found success reserving during the summer 7 months ahead.

The best opportunity for finding a reservation is early June and late August.

Enjoy! :)

We have used the rent trade board. A member of Hilton Head makes the reservation for us at the 11 month mark no problem. This is the third year straight. We were lucky enough to use the same member two years in a row. To offset the fee we rent some of our unused points. Woks out great for us.

Franco

We specifically added on dvc points at HHI to get 11 month window for summers. We had no problem making reservations at 7 month for christmas or fall, but summer is difficult except for weekends which use huge points. This year we were lucky to get 3 nights in August. Its true that your luck is better with 2-bdrooms. We just love this resort at any time of year!
Connears

if you are booking a 2BR for July you can do it at the 7 month mark but you must to it day by day. It is not impossible; I've done it twice and my sister once with no problem.

We booked HHI for July 17- 20 by calling day to day at the seven month mark. We reserved a studio. I will say that the lady at MS told me that there was no availability when I first called but she called me right back and said that there was. I then called for the next three days and was able to add on fine. I was very happy since this will be our first DVC trip! My inlaws live in Charleston, SC so this place is just perfect. We will visit them on the weekends that bookend this trip! We think we are going to love it and might even look at getting points there so we can guarantee that we can go at those busy times!

It certainly isn't impossible to get HHI in the summer. I booked 4th of July week in a 2 bedroom about 1 month ago.

We have gone to Disney about seven times in the past ten years. We love the idea of DVC and are considering purchasing within the next year. On our next trip in October we are renting points at BWV and are so excited. On the years that we don't go to Disney, I'd like to be able to go to either HHI or VB. However it is likely that those trips would be in the summer. My question is how is the availability at those resorts over the summer if you have to book within the 7 month window? I expect that we would be flexible with dates.
Conversely, if you don't plan to visit WDW multiple times per year or even every year and you are contemplating purchasing an interest in DVC, you may want to consider a resale at HHI or VB. Although they are DVC I (10 less use years than SSR), HHI is my home resort and I've never had any problems making ressies somewhere at WDW at the 7 month mark, and always at the resort of my choice, even during premium seasons. As you can see in my sig, we spend more time at HHI than WDW, so it wasn't a tough decision for us, but we wanted to option to stay in DVC on property at WDW when we did go to the parks. Also, HHI resales are considerably less costly than on-property purchases, usually pass ROFR without a hitch, and until recently, HHI had one of the lower maintenance fee costs (they went up considerably this year to cover the cost of a loan for some earlier than expected repair work). I know you didn't ask, but I thought I'd offer the advice anyways.

Regards

Vero is easier then HH at 7 months. HH in the summer is the closest thing to impossible I've ever seen. Yes, there are always a few exceptions, but they are few and far between. Vero is easier in my opinion.

We own at BWV and have done Vero and HH in summer. My experience booking each (which was based on signficant prior research on DIS).

HH: very tough to get between late May and mid August if you don't own there (very little availability of anything at the 7 month window).

That changes somehwat after mid August; large sunbelt family element disappears because their school systems are all opening. We got a 1BR (the most limited category at HH) at 7 months for a 9 day ressie that started on 8/17. Resort demographic then changes, is very Northeastern U.S. with a heavy U.K. sprinkling (southern U.S. accents which dominate earlier in the summer become nonexistent).

Vero: not as tough as HH, but has a "sliding scale" of availaibility that is toughest in spring and begins to ease up somewhat by mid July. 7 month window availaibility simultaneously improves, to the point where by early August you can get pretty much any villa at 7 months.

That is partly due to the unjustifed obsession with the Inn rooms that many many DVCers have, based on an erroneous assumption that the inn rooms are the only way to get a good ocean view at Vero (which is wrong; the front facing top floor villas in the four villa builldiings are much nicer and have similar views).

Note that the guest demographic at Vero in summer is different than most other DVC resorts. Huge numbers of non members stay there (particularly in the Inn), most of whom are appending a short Vero stay in front or back of a WDW vacation. That makes for a lot of daily turnover at the resort and a perpetually jammed front desk (if you need their help, go early in the morning or late at night!)

We got into HH at the 7-month window for this July. As suggested, we called daily at 9am, and didn't have any problem getting a 2BRV. But, I read later on these boards that someone called around 11am on one of those same days, and nothing was available. Even the CM at MS told me we were smart to call in one day at a time like we did.

We got into HH at the 7-month window for this July. As suggested, we called daily at 9am, and didn't have any problem getting a 2BRV. But, I read later on these boards that someone called around 11am on one of those same days, and nothing was available. Even the CM at MS told me we were smart to call in one day at a time like we did.

Great, textbook example of how to do a challenging ressie. Research in advance the exact date the booking window will open. Here is the best link to do that, it uses exactly the same calculation DVC itself employs to calculate booking windows:

http://www.timeanddate.com/date/dateadd.html

Use this to plan your personal schedule so you are available that (and every necessary subsequent day) to call right at MS opening to book day by day.

Note that if you do this for your home resort at 11 months during mega high demand periods (Xmas, Easter at WDW, July at HH, June at Vero, etc.) the CMs on staff at opening are very sensitive to what is going on and will seem to rush you through the ressie discussion with none of their standard friendly Disney "chit chat." That isn't their being abrupt, but rather their desire to help as many members as possible who are doing this sort of critical "stopwatch" advance planning get what they want.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter