HH Spring Break

LifeLongDisney

Earning My Ears
My first post.....please forgive me if this is in the wrong area. I have been reading the boards for a long time, just decided to join and post tonight.

We are at HH now, leaving tomorrow (Friday). My husband and I have been coming here for 6 years and we always come the same time, the first week of March. It has always been slow here at HH until the last 2 years, this year they are 100% (that's what they told me at the desk when we checked in). What I don't understand and don't particularly like is the number of college students here for srping break. I have talked with a lot of people here that feel the same way. We have enjoyed coming here because it's always been a quiet vacation for us but now, it's not. It is really rather annoying. Coming sooner would be too cold and later would just be worse. Getting past spring break season then you just get into the crowds. Sad to see this beautiful, once quiet resort going down this path.

I find it hard to believe Spring Break would NOT be sold out, but it is harder to believe that this would be a college destination resort as those kids really want to be located on the beach or closer to the bars and action.

The only logical reason for this is that Disney must have dumped a ton of reservations with a broker and they grabbed the easy college spring break money.

We tried to get spring break a few years ago and it was sold out at the 7 month window.

My first post.....please forgive me if this is in the wrong area. I have been reading the boards for a long time, just decided to join and post tonight.

We are at HH now, leaving tomorrow (Friday). My husband and I have been coming here for 6 years and we always come the same time, the first week of March. It has always been slow here at HH until the last 2 years, this year they are 100% (that's what they told me at the desk when we checked in). What I don't understand and don't particularly like is the number of college students here for srping break. I have talked with a lot of people here that feel the same way. We have enjoyed coming here because it's always been a quiet vacation for us but now, it's not. It is really rather annoying. Coming sooner would be too cold and later would just be worse. Getting past spring break season then you just get into the crowds. Sad to see this beautiful, once quiet resort going down this path.

Oh, my! That's such a shame about the high numbers of college kids (at least for us). We live about an hour from a big, wild spring break location (South Padre Island) and the one time we were at HHI for spring break, we marvelled at how quiet it was by comparison. For now, we're stuck on Thanksgiving at HHI, but if we were considering spring break some year, your post makes me reconsider. One reason we love HHI is the peace and quiet when we go (even though Thanksgiving is also booked solid at the resort).

Ugh....that is the pits. I am so sorry. :( When I want peace and quiet, I want peace and quiet! LOL

Are the college kids actually staying at the Disney Resort or just on HHI in general? We used to have a March break years ago with our school system and when we would go down there then we did not find that to be the case. That is a real shame that is happening (and I have 2 in college).

@VMS yes they are actually staying at the resort. I have counted 20 so far. There is a group that are above us. Loud and quite rude. When we were able to get in the hot tub, groups of them would show up and drink and get rowdy, disturbing when you're trying to relax. That's why we come to HH because it's quiet and relaxing. From what I understand in talking to some of them around their parents give them the points to use as a get-away. Seems a terrible waste of points in my book!

Oh well not much can be done about it.

Sounds like the same kids we had to deal with last year. We have always gone the beginning of June but had to change our trip last year to March. Thank goodness it wasn't our first trip or we would have never gone back. Luckily LOL we were a floor above them.....don't even know how many in the room....I felt so bad for housekeeping who had to deal with this room after they left....they always had the do not disturb sign out. We couldn't sit on the deck because of the language. We did call security but nothing happened....will never go back in March again. We are not crabby "old folks" our 19 year old college student daughter was with us.

The reason I posted about this last year and now is that I want parents to think about giving their points to their kids for spring break without adult supervision....it isn't always your child that is the problem but the ones they invite.

I'm really sorry to hear this. We will be heading to HHI for the first time next week - me, DH, and our DS2. I'm still hopeful for a low-key, family-friendly destination. From what I've read and seen, it doesn't scream "college spring break" to me, but I guess if parents are offering the accommodations...

We decided to go try HHI only in late January, and did not have any issue getting our weekday nights with points, and then the DVC cash rate was so low (for a 2BR, too!), that we're doing better paying cash for Fri and Sat. I was surprised that they had so much availability, as I know a lot of southern schools are beginning Spring Break next week (pretty much all of TX has next week off).

I will report back. Hopefully your experience was an anomaly (although I'm sorry it happened)!

I'm shocked we just got back from HH last night and I didn,t see many kids college age at all. The pool and hot tub we empty because it was cold. We did see a few couples with small children. We did see a lot of older couples reading books. The only couples drinking that we saw was some middle aged couples wednesday night and they were quiet.

@wulfekamp I really don't know what to tell you. We tried to go to the hot tub every evening this week and there were college students there drinking. The temp yesterday (Thursday) was close to 70 it was one of the warmer days of the week and I know who is upstairs above us because we have spoken several times. Just stating our experiences this week.

Which building were you in? We were in 16. We went down by the hot tube wed night about 8 and saw only some middle aged couples. The pool was empty and there was only 2 people at the camp fire. Sorry you had a differnt experience than we did.

This is really sad to hear. I hope it does not continue, nor grow to be a larger problem as time goes on. As stated earlier, we have 2 in college now (and a third in a few years), but not enough points to give to our kids for use like this.

Irregardless of someone's age, if they are being excessively loud or rowdy report them to the Front Desk.

However if it is a case of them just being young, then I say they have as much right to the resort as anyone does.

We just got back from staying in bldg 19. We saw some college students around the resort, and HHI in general. We were right below some people with young kids. We only go to HHI once a year, and I forget how loud the wooden steps are, and the rooms in general. The little kids were being, well, kids, so they were loud early every morning, running back and forth.

We didn't go swimming, but I did see a lot of college aged kids lying out around the beachhouse pool, etc. If we go back, I'm definitely requesting a top floor. Also, I didn't realize the resort was sold out. Our building was full, but I thought maybe DVC was clustering where they were putting people.

I remember seeing these same complaints (for the first time to me) at this same time last year. Seems like it may be becoming a pattern unfortunately.

We arrived the day you left, Lifelong. It's our first time at HH and it's so quiet we're wondering if there is anybody else here. It took us until tonight to get acclimated. It's so different from the DVC resorts at WDW and Disneyland, but now that we're slowly slipping into vacation mode, we're getting to really like the place and we're looking forward to exploring HHI and participating is some of the resort activities. As a middle-aged semi-retired couple without kids, we haven't felt at all bothered by noise and have not seen any college-aged students except cast members. There are some families here with young kids, but not that many. I guess our timing was good and hope that others considering a visit in March aren't put off for fear of encountering college spring break rowdiness. It sounds like this might be an isoloated event. At least, I hope so! We'll be hear until next Friday, so if this changes, I'll let you all know.
Kathy in MA

Almost all of the problems we had last year was when they were in the room, deck and outside the building .....if you haven't experienced this I understand how it could be so hard to believe. Yes, if you have people on the floor above you there is some noise, especially at HH, but we've never had the bad experience we did last year before or since.

We love HH, own there and will be back in June.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter